Starting Spin Classes

Mrs_Taken

Silver Member
I've somehow gotten myself roped into taking a total beginners spin class (i'm telling lies, i'm all excited about it really) and I was wondering if anyone else had taken this type of class and if they had any advice. I've seen advice for padded cycling shorts, but at my size, I wouldn't be comfortable being seen in skintight Lycra....it's a public service really (not to mention the cost for something that won't fit before long anyway)...would ordinary jogging bottoms be ok, or would leggings and a long top be better...trainers ok? I'm assuming since its a beginners class that posture and setting up the machine will be dealt with but any advice is welcome.

S7.jpg
S14.jpg
S21.jpg
S28.jpg
S35.jpg
Som_April.jpg
Club10.jpg

Hi, my spinning class insists on no loose trousers around the ankles. I tend to wear either cropped trousers or leggings and a t shirt.

Hi - I regularly go spinning and tend to wear 3/4 length leggings and a vest top or tshirt. Trainers with a good grip are beneficial too and I normally take a dry flannel/small towel as you'll sweat a lot! If you find the seats uncomfortable (they can be quite hard) then you can buy gel bike seats that sit over the top of the usual seat for about a tenner. Correct set up of the machine should be shown to you if you make the instructor aware that it's your first class. Good luck!

Hi - I regularly go spinning and tend to wear 3/4 length leggings and a vest top or tshirt. Trainers with a good grip are beneficial too and I normally take a dry flannel/small towel as you'll sweat a lot! If you find the seats uncomfortable (they can be quite hard) then you can buy gel bike seats that sit over the top of the usual seat for about a tenner. Correct set up of the machine should be shown to you if you make the instructor aware that it's your first class. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated. It's a new class for complete beginners that my consultant has arranged with her instructor so he's aware we're all new to spinning, so I'm sure he'll help us all set up.
Hopefully my hiking boots will do for the first few weeks as they're pretty grippy and very flexible.
I'll check into the gel seats but I'll hold off until I know that I'm gonna keep at it I think. No point spending money if its gonna gather dust after a week or two.

S7.jpg
S14.jpg
S21.jpg
S28.jpg
S35.jpg
Som_April.jpg
Club10.jpg

Let us know how the class goes. Spinning seems like craziness to me. I did a class once (years ago) and almost died half way through, haha! I had to stop...I think I found my way into the crazy-super-mega-fit-buns-of-steel group instead of beginners. I'm looking to buy an exercise bike for home though so once I've got my confidence back I can go for bike rides again :) Good luck spinning those leggies!

Let us know how the class goes. Spinning seems like craziness to me. I did a class once (years ago) and almost died half way through, haha! I had to stop...I think I found my way into the crazy-super-mega-fit-buns-of-steel group instead of beginners. I'm looking to buy an exercise bike for home though so once I've got my confidence back I can go for bike rides again :) Good luck spinning those leggies!

Thank hunni, if I survive it, I'll check in Thursday evening :p the crazy-super-mega-fit-buns-of-steel group are the reason I've not tried a spin class before now...or most classes to be honest, but since my consultant organised this one for her classes only, it should be very low pressure, so I'm mega excited :p

S7.jpg
S14.jpg
S21.jpg
S28.jpg
S35.jpg
Som_April.jpg
Club10.jpg

I did spinning years ago. You have given me inspiration to look for a local class. !! Hope all goes well with your class.

Well I looked and there are no spinning classes close to me.!
I saw something on tv the other morning called soul cycling. Looked fantastic.!

I think its a new thing in America the lady said it was like having a party on a bike. Will try and find a link to show you. Look brill

Ok, so I'm just back from class and I think I'm hooked :p it was tough and my butt feels like I've been kicked from around the car park for an hour :s definitely gonna be looking into one of those gel seat covers or padded leggings, but I feel fantastic and my back pain (sciatica) has eased (for now). Yay for spinning!

S42.jpg
Som_June.jpg
Club10.jpg

I've just booked into my first one tonight after work after my friend text me and said she did one last night - I thought "if you can do it, I can bloody do it too!!"

I am PETRIFIED!!

I've booked them before a few times but always bottled it last minute when it literally looked like everyone else was DYING! :eek:

I've just booked into my first one tonight after work after my friend text me and said she did one last night - I thought "if you can do it, I can bloody do it too!!"

I am PETRIFIED!!

I've booked them before a few times but always bottled it last minute when it literally looked like everyone else was DYING! :eek:

Do it!!!!
Give it a go, honestly, it's worth it! And don't try to push too hard first time, since its in the dark and no one can see how you've set your resistance, you can work as hard or as easy as you want. If I can get through it, anyone can. My class were off on holidays on Thursday and I'm itching to get back this week.
Good luck and let us know how you get on!

S42.jpg
Som_June.jpg
Club10.jpg
FitBronze.jpg

Back