Staying out of ketosis on purpose....pros/cons?

Midge67

Hi all

I've been doing Exante for last 7/8 weeks (or so!), and have had no problems and am really pleased with the ease and the results. I've been in ketosis most of the time but think I've come out of it at the weekends a few times.

I ate out last night (chicken and lots of different salad) and have come out again. But I'm really considering staying out of it as I get really, really bad breath in ketosis :eek: and it's putting me off a bit!

Am I right in thinking ketosis only makes losing weight easier (no hunger, etc.) and that by staying out of it (by eating a little salad/veg) won't affect the speed of the weight loss as long as I keep under 800 calories?

I don't mind the occasional hunger pang as I'm so pleased with how it's going and the shakes have made me feel all round healthier.

Would appreciate anyones thoughts on the pros and cons please.

Thank you!

x

I totally get where you are coming from so I would appreicate and answers or views on this too. I love this diet once I am into it, but I hate the breath issue, it actually puts me off starting the diet sometimes.

I'm no expert but I don't think it's ketosis which makes you lose weight any quicker, I think it just makes it easier. I am sure someone else will come along and correct me if I'm wrong x

Yes, that's what I'm thinking (and hoping!)

:)

Under Questions and Answers page 141 from Dr. Alan Howard's book The Cambridge Diet...as Exante is similar to this diet I am sure the same applies but it is probably best to email Exante to make sure.

Here is what Dr. Alan Howard says about it...

"Ketosis is another name for the 'fat burning' process. Once the body has used up its stored carbohydrate, it then switches to using its other energy store - unwanted fat. A ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrate. The body's stored fat is broken down into little fatty acid molecules called ketones and these circulate taking energy to all the tissues in the body. The Cambridge Diet has been carefully researched and formulated so that when used as 'Sole Source' it has just enough carbohydrate for immediate energy and none left over for storage: this induces a mild ketosis. The smallest intake of additional carbohydrate can upset this fragile balance and cause carbohydrate to be restored along with attendant water, causing a plateau or even weight gain! The mild ketosis is an intrinsic part of the design of the 'Sole Source' programme because it has significant benefits - it is the key to comfort for the dieter.

- It reduces the feeling of hunger - removing the temptation to err!
- It induces a sense of well-being with good energy levels.
Far from being harmful, ketosis is an important safety factor - the body gets all the energy it needs from the breakdown of its fat stores, thus protecting muscle tissue and vital organs."

The question that follows explains something I have wondered about as I am doing mostly SSing plus...

Is Ketosis affected by someone 5' 5", 15 stone taking three Cambridge Diet sachets and one bar daily?

The Cambridge Diet has been carefully researched and formulated to have an exact amount of carbohydrate. Enough for immediate energy but nothing left over for storage. The bars each contain 10g more of carbohydrate then do the drinks. Three drinks add up to 42.9 carbohydrate, four drinks 57.2g, three drinks plus a bar 67.6g! For those who are carbohydrate sensitive the latter combination could be enough to bring them out of ketosis with a consequent loss of benefits."

Generally as long as you stay under about 70g of carbs you'll remain in ketosis. I don't know how many carbs are in Exante products, but chicken has virtually nil carbs, most salad items like lettuce, cucumber, celery also have next to none. So they are unlikely to kick you out. If you do want to stay out of ketosis you will need to increase carbs. You could opt for something like adding sugar to your tea or coffee, but it would probably be better to add extra carbs through veg- potatoes, peas, carrots etc. But you will not gain the benefits of ketosis, and may get carb cravings.

potatoes, peas, carrots

Just a little note about high carb veggies and food...You have to be careful what you eat when coming off a food replacement diet for if you reintroduce high carbs too quickly you will end up piling on the pounds. I would stay away from high carbs such as potatoes, peas, parsnips and carrots for the few days or week and then they need to be introduced in small portions gradually back into the diet to stop carb overloading.

I agree mini, only small quantities otherwise like you say the pounds will pile on. I'm following the slim and save refeed just now http://www.slimandsave.co.uk/refeed.pdf and it explains why you do gain some after introducing carbs.

Thank you for all the advice. I'm not in ketosis at the moment and I'm not going to try to get back in. But I WILL be continuing with the diet :) x

Back