Steaming Meat

welshgirl21

Silver Member
I am starting to steam and grill all my meat and fish, but I find chicken goes very dry when steamed so I'm thinking beef might too. I sit the meat on a circle of foil in the steamer to try and save some of the juices to moisten it but it's still very dry.

Any tips on how to avoid this would be great.

perhaps your steaming it for to long,,, i used to cook all my meals in steamer when living alone (saved on washing up) and my chicken was always moist

i dont blame you lol can be well dodgy,,, do u steam on the cooker or in an electric steamer

On the cooker - we have a stainless steel steaming pan that you just steam the food over simmering water.

As a retired Chef I used to do heaps of Carveries and the only way I would "Roast" meats is to put the joint in the oven and pour in water till it's about an inch or so deep around the joint. I then used to oil the joint but this is not required when on a diet. Cover tightly with foil and cook in the over, about 3/4 of the normal time. (I will now leave out the Cheffy bit for carveries ;))

Check and if n when done, drain, to get the best out of your joint, leave until cold and slice thinly, the juices can be cooled and all the fat skimmed off. To reheat the meats, dribble some of the juices over it and pop into a warm oven, or the microwave. If you want a gravy, use the minimum of Gravy granules to season n colour.

sound like a excellent way to cook a joint of meat,,, could you so its not sitting in the fat roast it on a rack with a tray underneath with the water in it??????

sound like a excellent way to cook a joint of meat,,, could you so its not sitting in the fat roast it on a rack with a tray underneath with the water in it??????
Yes you can just make sure you have enough water in the pan to make sure it doesn't dry out. You will find your joints so much more succulent, and they don't shrink!

i tried this admitedly not with a joint but i wanted to precook chicken drumsticks before putting them on the BBQ to get the BBQ taste so i cooked them on a rack in a tray of water and they were lovely and moist even after being on the BBQ

Back