Steampunk Chic's Diary

So today, everytime I went up the steps I was winded. Um, I did 600 steps yesterday. How can I be winded after 12? Or is it because I did 600 steps that I'm winded today? LOL.

Anyway, did an upper body workout today. Did 3 sets instead of my normal 2 and added in a rear delt fly.

Yesterday, the scale said 173.something and this morning it said 172.something. It's always up over the weekend, but I'm hoping to see a number closer to 170 so I know I'll lose something this week. I'm hoping all my exercise can make up for my shoddy weekend eating habits. I should probably not splurge much at all this weekend if I want to get to 159 ASAP. *sigh*

Good news: The scale said 170.4 which almost guarantees a loss by Friday.

Bad news: Everything. Hurts. I am so incredibly sore today there was no way I could do a workout.

It hurts to pick up the juice bottle to pour my toddler juice (from yesterday's upper body workout). It hurts to lower myself onto the toilet to pee (from the day before's lower body workout). Sorry for the TMI, lol.

So I didn't lose this week and knew it on Thursday which left me very discouraged and down. Sure enough Friday morning I hadn't lost anything (technically it went down .2). I am pretty sure the reason I didn't lose this week is because my protein is too low in comparison to the strength training workouts I am doing. (And probably because I treated myself to light crackers at 91 carbs both Fri and Sat night instead of my rice cakes, which is about 28 for 4.)

Not having a weight loss usually would have resulted in a binge weekend. But, fortunately, not only did I push myself to workout anyway on Thursday, but that night I watched a documentary called FAT. Gary Taubes was one of the people on it (I have his book Why We Get Fat) so I knew it was about low carbs, etc. and how fat is not the enemy. Anyway, I found it very interesting and it motivated me to pay a bit more attention to my carbs (both times I've lost in the past it was the times I cut my carbs). It also motivated me to actually plan a healthy, lifestyle type diet for the whole family. In the past, I've cut carbs down to 20 just for me, and made the fam whatever they wanted. Both times I gained the weight back was from going off the diet and eating unlimited carbs.

So . . . I searched for a healthy amount a carbs just to live on (not necessarily lose weight on), and 70-100 seemed to be range for normal people and 50-70 for those who can't tolerate the larger range. (This being from the camp that believes in low-carb for health, not the FDA who says 6-11 for grains, 4 for veggies and 3 for fruit bringing you to nearly 20 servings of carbs every day).

Anyway, I'm going to focus on 70 for hubby and 50 for me. The weekends can include a little more, but I'm going to try to balance that out with additional protein as well instead of eating almost all carbs from Friday night through Sunday. And I'm going to make sure I workout on weekends as well (in the past, I've taken weekends off). I realize that I will not lose as fast; I can usually lose 10 pounds a month when I cut my carbs to 20. So my goal this time is about 5 pounds every 3 weeks. If I can do that, I will reach goal by mid-August and technically I just want to hit goal by September for hubby and I's 10th anniversary, so that even gives me a bit of leeway.

I'm not stringently counting the carbs, meaning, I'm trying to do this from the get go the same way I would do it for life. Larger portions of protein than the carbs on the plate, and if one meal was rather carb heavy the next (or previous meal) needs to be carb light. I'm trying to think in terms of balance. I don't have to track my fat -- I know I get plenty of that because we LOVE dairy, and eat full-fat cheeses with nearly every meal. And even lean cuts of meat still have plenty of fat in them.

I also wrote out several meal ideas making slight low-carb variations to our favorites and then went food shopping. I reorganized the freezer when I got back so it was very easy to see all the meat -- chicken on one shelf, veggies on one shelf, and fish and beef on another. I got ideas from googling Atkins frozen meals just to see what different things they put together and how they made it look like a lot of food. I'm actually pretty encouraged and even started right away (instead of waiting until Monday). I am really hoping this works (for both us, hubby needs to lose about 25lbs), and that we can effortlessly maintain on this as well.

Last edited:
So far I've done really good on my new plan. For lunch I made hubby grilled chicken with sugar-free barbecue, cheddar cheese and one slice of bacon plus one potato for approx 30 carbs. (Usually, I would have made the chicken barbecue on a whole wheat roll in addition to the potato which would have brought him to 50 of his 70 carbs in just one meal.) He thought it was delicious and didn't mind at all (he's a bit finicky with sandwiches as it is because he doesn't like touching food with his hands 😂 ).

For myself, I also wanted a potato and put my chicken on the pan and looking at it realized it was only about 2 oz. I'm so used to paying more attention to my calories so if I want a potato I cut back on whatever else I'm eating with it. Staring at those 4 tiny pieces of chicken I realized that my carbs would far outnumber my grams of protein. Then I had a brilliant idea (that made me actually feel rather dumb that I didn't think of it before). I cut the potato in half and added 2 more strips of chicken. Duh! Half the potato was just fine -- plenty to satisfy my potato craving and my protein was about 25 and my carbs 15 -- a much better balance. I ate the chicken with 1 slice of bacon and 1 TB of jalapeno cream cheese.

Tonight's dinner (instead of pizza or General Tso's), we had cheesy brussels sprouts chicken casserole with bacon. It was delish. Even hubby said he would want it again.

brussel sprout cassarole.jpg

And, I even got in a mini workout.

3 sets of 8 reps OHP with 30lb barbell.
2 sets of 15 and 1 set of 10 delt raises with 10 lb dumbbells

40 crunches
40 oblique crunches (per side)
40 reverse crunches

So possibly some really good news. My weight didn't even shoot up a full pound over the weekend. It usually shoots up 3+ pounds, then takes me most of the week to get back to the previous Friday's weigh-in weight, and then on Friday I see a loss (compared to the previous Friday). That is pretty much clock work. So . . .

I'm hoping the means that I actually did lose weight last week (scale only went down .2 instead of the 1-2 pounds I usually see) and that I will see a pretty decent drop this Friday . . .

I would love to be under 165 (my next mini goal), but that's probably a bit unrealistic as Friday's weight was 169.6. But again, I've never seen such a little gain over the weekend. I'm just gonna focus on kicking butt this week and see what happens. :)

Eating was really good today. Protein shakes, Jalapeno Chicken Bacon Ranch on a low-carb wrap, and Cheesy Tuscan Chicken Casserole.

tuscan chicken.jpg

Also did a killer lower body workout.

Activation Exercises -- hydrants / bridge / frog bridge

3x15 Kick ups (with ankle weight and band)
4x15 Kick Backs (with ankle weight and band)
30 step ups (15 per leg)
30 side squats with band (15 per side)

2x15 Calf Raises

2x12 Leg Raise (50 lbs)

Did my upper body workout.

3x8 Overhead Press 30 lbs
3x12 Delt Raises 20 lbs
3x12 Tricep Dips
2x12 Push Ups
3x12 Lat Pull Down (w/ band)

40 crunches
40 oblique crunches (per side)
40 reverse crunches

I'm getting so impatient with weight loss. I'm pushing so hard during my workouts but have so much fat that I could have really toned, nice muscles even though I can't see them -- but the can't see them is what is making it hard to stay motivated and keep doing them. I know if I stop I'll never see them, but I took pictures yesterday and compared them to 10+ pounds ago and the difference wasn't really enough to make me feel good about my progress. I know that the next 10 will, so I'm trying to just stay with it mentally, but it's hard right now. Probably because I'm trapped in a house with two toddlers (one special needs) and I just really want to get out and breathe / do something for fun. I'm starting to go a little stir crazy.

This is me in mid-February and yesterday (mid-April). This difference is so slight that I'm really starting to feel discouraged.

back before.jpgback mid1.jpg

That's about a 13 pound difference (183 and 169). I think what is so frustrating is that this one below was me just one year ago (151 / Christmas 2018). I worked so hard to get there, and then just ate myself right back up again in less than a year. I'm really trying to get to keep my head in this and do it again, but it feels impossible -- which I know sounds stupid since I obviously can do it. But in 27 years of dieting I've only mentally stuck it out 3x (1998, 2012, 2018). Part of me thinks just keep my eating good and cut back on the workouts a bit but the slower I lose the quicker I get discouraged and end up bingeing.

back.jpg

Stick at it, it's really early days and you obviously know what you're doing and CAN do it! 💪 As you are eating low carb now I would recommend having a look at dietdoctor.com for a whole range of excellent recipes - low carb as well as keto - and some good reading material too.

This is me in mid-February and yesterday (mid-April). This difference is so slight that I'm really starting to feel discouraged.

View attachment 195258View attachment 195259

That's about a 13 pound difference (183 and 169). I think what is so frustrating is that this one below was me just one year ago (151 / Christmas 2018). I worked so hard to get there, and then just ate myself right back up again in less than a year. I'm really trying to get to keep my head in this and do it again, but it feels impossible -- which I know sounds stupid since I obviously can do it. But in 27 years of dieting I've only mentally stuck it out 3x (1998, 2012, 2018). Part of me thinks just keep my eating good and cut back on the workouts a bit but the slower I lose the quicker I get discouraged and end up bingeing.

View attachment 195260

FWIW, I don't think the difference is slight. You do look better in the Right picture. I know exactly where you are at mentally. I think I'm nearby. Your pic from 2018 is really good. You obviously worked really hard to get there. What was your motivation then? *hug* Also, your hair is fabulous! Very envious of your beautiful fire hair! You've got to do what works for you, if you're anything like me, until you have that fire in your belly for it, it won't happen. Dig deep before you let it get you again, look for motivatiuon that is meaningful for you. You can do this!

FWIW, I don't think the difference is slight. You do look better in the Right picture. I know exactly where you are at mentally. I think I'm nearby. Your pic from 2018 is really good. You obviously worked really hard to get there. What was your motivation then? *hug* Also, your hair is fabulous! Very envious of your beautiful fire hair! You've got to do what works for you, if you're anything like me, until you have that fire in your belly for it, it won't happen. Dig deep before you let it get you again, look for motivation that is meaningful for you. You can do this!

I did work really hard. I had signed up for HealthyWage, lost 40 lbs and won $1500 (minus the 400+ I put in). But then a crud of stuff happened in 2019 and I emotionally ate my way right back up again. And unfortunately, HealthyWage only lets you lose it 1x so as not to encourage intentional regain just to get more money, lol.

Thanks about the hair! I dyed it red when I turned 40 and completely fell in love. That's why it's my reward as soon as I get out of the 160's. I've got ooddles of inches of dark brown roots showing along with all my grays.

Stick at it, it's really early days and you obviously know what you're doing and CAN do it! 💪 As you are eating low carb now I would recommend having a look at dietdoctor.com for a whole range of excellent recipes - low carb as well as keto - and some good reading material too.

Thank you. I will check them out!

Breakfast: Coffee
Lunch: Protein Shake (30 grams)
Snack: Coffee. Don't usually have a second cut (i.e. another 20 oz) but it was that kindof day.
Dinner: Bacon Jalapeno Cheese burger (on 1/2 a bun) w/ half a pan-fried potato (in the bacon/burger juices).
Snack: Protein Shake & 2 Blocks 90% Cocoa Chocolate (about 3 carbs)

Today's workout:

On abs, I moved up to 50 each (from 20 when I started to 40 earlier this week). Also, I managed to squeeze out some push ups on my toes. I can't yet go down as far as I can on my knees, but this is def an improvement because I have a weak left shoulder and couldn't do more than 1 or 2 on my toes (if that) when I first started). I also added front delt raises to my routine (I'd forgotten all about them). And I surprised myself that I could already do 3 sets at 10 lbs. That was another gain from last week -- I can now do them with my barbell (30 lbs) instead of just by dumbbells (20lbs).

Abs
50 crunches
50 oblique crunches (per side)
50 reverse crunches

Pushups
3x8 on toes
2x12 on knees (cuz I didn't come down far enough on toes to really feel it)

Shoulders
Delt front raises 3x10 (10 lbs ea.)
Delt lateral raise 3x12 (10 lbs ea.)* I think it was 12; might have been 10. It was whichever hit muscle fatigue. I'll try to remember next time.
Overhead Press 3x8 (30 lbs)

Tricep Dips 3x8? 10? 12? I can't remember. I stopped when it burned too much to do more.

I didn't do my back mostly because I forgot; and I stopped doing biceps because they are boring and I figure I'm working them on other things anyway. Technically, I it was a lower body workout day . . . but my legs are STILL sore from Monday's workout.

Weigh in tomorrow. But TOTM. My weight and my measurements are up. Not sure if that is related. But feeling very discouraged nonetheless. I'm telling myself that all of a sudden I see a really big drop (like 6 pounds -- 2 for each of the past STS) but not sure if that is actually realistic.

How are you getting on over here? Not seen you since WI. How are you holding up? I'm invested in seeing your hair when you hit 159 (or less!) this week 😁
Wow, if I can lose 10 pounds in one week I would be in seventh heaven.

Yea, I didn't come on all weekend as I was rather discouraged with all the STS. But thanks for stopping by! I've decided that I'm going to do an actual diet (i.e. calorie reduction). It seems it is the only thing that works for me. However, I am not going to lose sight of the low-carb maintenance plan. I am still cooking hubby and the fam healthy meals so that I stay in that habit. But I am making myself a separate supper for now and I'm doing protein shakes for both breakfast and lunch (instead of just breakfast). I'm also going to reduce my workouts a bit just because they've been longer and heavier than my usual weight loss routine because I wasn't drastically reducing calories. Basically, I'm just going back to what has always worked for me in the past (low calorie, light weight workouts) since low carb and intense weight workouts don't seem to be working. Once I hit 159 (or maybe 149 if I lose it quick enough), I will increase my calories and intensify my workouts.

Snack: Protein Shake (Caramel)
Lunch: Protein Shake (Caramel)
Supper: Barbecue Chicken Quesadilla with red onions and smoked Gouda and mozzarella cheese on low-carb wrap

Hubby had 2 Pollock fillets with Green Beans and Mac & Cheese (supper) and Low-Carb Chili and low-carb corn bread (lunch @ work)
Kiddos had Turkey Hot Dogs with Green Beans and Mac & Cheese (supper) and Air-fried Chicken nuggets and 50% less sugar baked beans and creamed corn (lunch)

(I'm gonna post what I make them as well since it will keep me in the habit of making healthy meals)

Workout: Glutes & Quads Routine & 4 miles on Exercise Bike (200 calories)

I'm surprisingly feeling rather positive (very unlike me after no weight loss) but I think it's because I'm resorting to what I know works for me. I did not binge over the weekend, though it was VERY tempting. I did however "cheat." On Friday, I bought myself one of those kiddie containers of mini Oreos (about 400 calories) and on Saturday, the kiddos and I made 1 batch of low(er)-carb sugar cookies (1/2 reg flour and 1/2 low-carb flour and Stevia bake blend, so 75% less sugar). They came out surprisingly well. A little crumbly, but the taste was pretty much the same. I didn't calculate the actual difference. Everything else I ate was according to plan. Naturally, the scale shot up to 175, but it was already down to 173 by mid-afternoon. Hopefully I didn't undo anything and I will see a loss this weekend.

Wow, if I can lose 10 pounds in one week I would be in seventh heaven.

Yea, I didn't come on all weekend as I was rather discouraged with all the STS. But thanks for stopping by! I've decided that I'm going to do an actual diet (i.e. calorie reduction). It seems it is the only thing that works for me. However, I am not going to lose sight of the low-carb maintenance plan. I am still cooking hubby and the fam healthy meals so that I stay in that habit. But I am making myself a separate supper for now and I'm doing protein shakes for both breakfast and lunch (instead of just breakfast). I'm also going to reduce my workouts a bit just because they've been longer and heavier than my usual weight loss routine because I wasn't drastically reducing calories. Basically, I'm just going back to what has always worked for me in the past (low calorie, light weight workouts) since low carb and intense weight workouts don't seem to be working. Once I hit 159 (or maybe 149 if I lose it quick enough), I will increase my calories and intensify my workouts.

Snack: Protein Shake (Caramel)
Lunch: Protein Shake (Caramel)
Supper: Barbecue Chicken Quesadilla with red onions and smoked Gouda and mozzarella cheese on low-carb wrap

Hubby had 2 Pollock fillets with Green Beans and Mac & Cheese (supper) and Low-Carb Chili and low-carb corn bread (lunch @ work)
Kiddos had Turkey Hot Dogs with Green Beans and Mac & Cheese (supper) and Air-fried Chicken nuggets and 50% less sugar baked beans and creamed corn (lunch)

(I'm gonna post what I make them as well since it will keep me in the habit of making healthy meals)

Workout: Glutes & Quads Routine & 4 miles on Exercise Bike (200 calories)

I'm surprisingly feeling rather positive (very unlike me after no weight loss) but I think it's because I'm resorting to what I know works for me. I did not binge over the weekend, though it was VERY tempting. I did however "cheat." On Friday, I bought myself one of those kiddie containers of mini Oreos (about 400 calories) and on Saturday, the kiddos and I made 1 batch of low(er)-carb sugar cookies (1/2 reg flour and 1/2 low-carb flour and Stevia bake blend, so 75% less sugar). They came out surprisingly well. A little crumbly, but the taste was pretty much the same. I didn't calculate the actual difference. Everything else I ate was according to plan. Naturally, the scale shot up to 175, but it was already down to 173 by mid-afternoon. Hopefully I didn't undo anything and I will see a loss this weekend.

Well I think you should do it this week regardless. You have such a positive attitude and have bounced back awesomely! I really admire your determination. It sounds like a really sensible plan and tracking everything that you are making - even for the family - because you can see what you've resisted too!
I know how tempting that all weekend binge is after a disappointing weigh in and full respect for keeping your cool and sticking it out. It'll pay off this week 👍😁👌

I am STILL too sore to do an upper body workout. Apparently, my body is NOT ready for push ups on the toes, lol.

So did abs and 200 calories worth of pedaling (4 miles).

Snack: Protein Shake.

Lunch: Protein Shake

Supper: 1 Large Swedish meatball, 3.5 oz chicken in low carb Swedish meatball sauce with half a package of Brussels Sprouts.

Hubby had 6oz lean Sweedish meatballs (-1 meatball), low carb sauce and 1 serving pasta (3/4 cup dry), and the other half of the Brussels Sprouts.

Kids had 1 Brussels Sprout eat (they did not like, lol), Ham and 1/2 Sugar Baked Beans. Last time I cut up the Brussels Sprouts and put hid it in their mac and cheese. Will have to do that again next time.

I have to add that I have never made meatballs, let alone Swedish meatballs or the sauce, let alone a low-carb version, but it came out FANTASTIC. It's one of hubby's favorite meals (he would get it as a Frozen microwave meal), so I am very pleased. I would have made mine with meat as well, but I only had 6 oz thawed beef and needed to ensure hubby got enough protein since I'm keeping the pasta serving small.

Yesterday

Snack: Protein Shake
Lunch: Protein Shake
Dinner: Grilled chicken bacon ranch on low-carb wrap
Snack: Low-carb wrap w/ veggie cream cheese & 2 blocks 90% cocoa chocolate

Workout: Shoulder Workout -- delt raises, rear delt raises, front raises, overhead press

Today
Snack: Protein Shake
Lunch: Atkins Snack Bar:
Dinner: Cheesesteak sans the bun

Workout: Should've done a lower body workout, but feeling really lazy so cycled a 10K / 316 calories.

Tried on a couple pairs of jeans. 1 snaps but way too much muffin top to actually wear. The others still don't snap. Trying not to feel discouraged. 159 is only 10 pounds away. I can do this. I can do this.

That quote was from April 3rd, when I first hit 169.8. Since being very frustrated with my STS's, I decided to try on jeans again. Another pair snapped -- though still too much muffin top to actually wear. So I took my measurements and my waist has not gone down at all. I find that very odd, because if I remember correctly, it was always my waist that was first and I could count on a .25 inch loss every week. But anyway, my hips did go down .5 an inch. I assume that's why the pants will snap now. Wouldn't have though that was only .5 inches though. I wish I had taken pictures of how close or not close that pair was to snapping. O well, at least I know I'm headed in the right direction. Now, if they were just wearable. I would feel so much better about myself if I had decent clothes to wear rather than walking around in yoga pants all the time. Hopefully in a week or so. Fingers crossed.

Back