Stew

I made mine with gravy granules the other day. That's what my Mum said to use

A real stew doesn't need anything added.

Put a small amount of butter in the bottom of the pot and brown your veg then add your diced meat. Leave to cook slowly while covered stirring occasionally for about 3 hours- (the slower the better) at this stage the pot should be full of juices and you can add your potatoes diced into medium chunks and cook slowly for another hour or so until the potatoes are cooked again stirring occasionally. Leave to sit for about and hour before eating. Also stew is always best the next day!!

I use stock cubes for mine, but when it's cooked I remove a small amount of the vegetables and liquid and blend it (I have a cheap sainsbury's basics hand blender) and add it back in, which thickens the stew nicely.

I dont use anything either. My mums rule of thumb is if you use good quality beef, it will flavour it enough. I brown the diced beef in large stew pot and add diced onions while browning. When browned, add boiling water to barely cover it, then add diced carrots. Bring to boil and lower heat. The lower the heat, it takes longer but juices and flavours come out better. Then add potatoes and add more water so barely coverd again, Boil and reduce heat. You can add some cornflour (2pp for 20g) to thicken if really want.
I cook this at home aswel as at work (i work in residential care) and goes down well. Its also coeliac free which is hand when cooking for others.

This is what were having tonight! Just got to work out pp for dumplings any help?

I plan to make a stew on the weekend but am not sure how. What do you put in your stew and what's your favourite way to make it. I have diced beef but need to get the veg so wanted to pick your brains before I went shopping. Thanks in advance guys :)

Anyone? If you could share your recipes it would be great. I know there are good entries already but I am stumped as to what to put in it lol :)

You can put in anything. Swede, carrot, parsnip , bns. I tend to make a spicy stew wi no veg that's been in the slow cooker all day. I then serve wi a jkt pot x

I've literally just eaten my one. I made it with beef for slow cooking, potatoes, carrots, onion, mushrooms, peas and dumplings :) it was lush! I know I've gone way over my portion size but it was so yummy and I couldn't help myself! :D

Thanks guys :D I ended up getting swede, onion, potatoes. I have mushrooms and BNS, also have roasting parsnips here too not sure about those yet tho. I used to make it years ago and it was lush but cannot remember how lol :)

Mets said:
I've literally just eaten my one. I made it with beef for slow cooking, potatoes, carrots, onion, mushrooms, peas and dumplings :) it was lush! I know I've gone way over my portion size but it was so yummy and I couldn't help myself! :D

How many pro points do everyone use for stew and dumplings ???

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

galaxy-girl said:
Depends wots in it but prob bout 8-10

Well I've got braising steak, oxo cubes carrots, gravy granules, squirt of tomato sauce squirt of marmite. And 6 dumplings 3 each

10 doesn't seem enough xx

slouth0402 said:
Well I've got braising steak, oxo cubes carrots, gravy granules, squirt of tomato sauce squirt of marmite. And 6 dumplings 3 each

10 doesn't seem enough xx

Maybe 14 at a guess then. That is just based on the same amount of beef & dumplings I use

I make a delish steak and kidney in slow cooker - in the morning i brown chunks of steak and kidney, throw in slow cooker with a carton of passata, a beef oxo cube, no water necessary, add some softened onions, (before starting ww i used to add pearl barley and split lentils,) then leave to cook all afternoon. adding dumplings half hour before you want to eat! cook whatever veg we want separately, have no idea how many points tho!!!

I don't like kidney, just the smell turns my stomach. Does sound delish tho. I never brown meat or soften onions, just chuck it in. I bought a chicken curry slow cooker sachet for 2 Moro night so will report back on my findings xxx

Back