still on induction!

LVLLM

Gold Member
First weekend since starting atkins that i didnt have a drop of alcohol :eek: In fact probably first weekend in a long long time!
Thought it was about time I really stuck to the drink side of things - the food is easy :D
Weigh in tonight with my lodger - bit of a competition going on. Although I must admit I have been on the scales a lot this week - Id lost another 2 lbs on Sat morning but back up to only 5lbs loss - :confused:

Anyway Im sticking with induction for a couple more weeks at least I think - still not missing pasta or bread! (maybe chips)

You can do an 'extended Induction' if you want to but mostly the advice is to move on to OWL after the initial two weeks. This is said over and over on the official Atkins site so I suppose there must be very good, practical reasons for this!

The science of Atkins is so different to that of any other 'diet' plan that we have to just accept the wisdom. It is said that going into OWL can actually speed up weight loss, and that staying too long on Induction can slow it down.

I believe that everyone is different and that we need to find what works for us as individuals but if you find that you are not losing well, within reason, you might like to try moving up to the next Phase.

You'll be eating well, whatever you choose!

Thanks girlygirl - how many carbs on OWL?

I stayed on induction for 6 months and had no problem, OWL is adding 5 carbs per week until you stop losing Vicky, then you drop 5 carbs. I probably didn't do OWL very well as I was annoyed at the slow eight loss. ;)

I think Ill stay with induction for at least another week no alcohol -but im supposed to be going out for friends birthday sat - so that might set me back or ill offer to drive and drink water :D

You can stay on Induction for as long as you want to but it is not ideal. Everyone on the forum, including Don and Colette the official Atkins nutritionists, say it is recommended that Induction should last two weeks.

Of course this is up to the individual! I tweak Atkins all the time to suit my own body and requirements but some people need strict guidelines to follow or they feel a bit lost.

If you are happy with what you are eating and losing, fine! I laughed at Jim's impatience over the slower weight loss in OWL. The rationale behind this is of course to gradually prepare us for eating well, low-carb and healthily, for the rest of our lives. Only by slowly adding things back into the diet can we discover what we should and shouldn't eat (personally) to lose and maintain the losses.

You can most certainly extend Induction and the extended version allows you to add a few more things, from what I have read on the Atkins site. I always say, if it works, don't fix it!

The one thing none of us likes about Atkins is the slower weight loss when compared to other diets but I find the freedom to eat good food in moderate quantities, to be able to live without guilt and fear of food, and to sleep better every night, so liberating and cheering that I don't mind the last ten pounds coming off very slowly.

If you were impatient in OWL, Jim, you must have found pre-maintenance a nightmare ha ha. I won't be weighing myself for a week or two yet. Re-introducing carbs is a nerve-wracking business.

I never really did pre-maint Girly, I was told by Colleen I had lost enough weight whilst I was still on OWL, so really went fro OWL to maint.

Hi hun
I am still on induction 18 weeks in have a look at my diary not always been easy but am definately getting there.

Girly how much have you lost hun?

xx

Thanks Emma mum - have started my own diary on my sig now. looks better than I thought!

Back