Struggling

chunky-monkey77

i seriously swear i am up 2 no good !
hi there I have recently joined Sw and although I am doing well on the activity I'm not doing so well on weight loss I am weighing out everything that needs to be weighed and following the plan the weight either goes up or stays the same. Getting disheartened now as I have been 7 weeks on the plan and have lost 4lbs

Firstly I’m not a SW expert - I followed SW for around 3-4 months but did this alone and wasn’t a member, but I did do a lot of research and also read a lot of the diaries on here.

For some people a 4lb loss in 7 weeks is good. all lose weight differently, but if you feel that’s not typical for you I’d suggest the following:
- are you drinking enough water. I used to track mine every day as I thought I was drinking enough but nearly always underestimated
- are you filling your plate with speed foods first and making sure they are at least a third of your plate.
- be careful with ‘free’ foods. It is easy to have too much. This was my main reason for switching to calorie counting. In the early days of lockdown I was struggling to get groceries and found it hard to have a third of my plate as speed. It made me re-evaluate the ‘free’ protein and carbohydrates I was having so I started calorie counting at the same time. It really helped me re-educate myself on portion sizes. I’m not suggesting you do that, but it is very easy to have too much free food. Many people get caught out because you don’t need to weigh free foods and think they can eat unlimited amounts, but the principles of optimising are to have one third speed and put that on your plate first - that helps control quantities of free food. And also eat until you feel full and no more. That’s harder than it sounds as you may need to relearn / retrain your body on feeling full.
- write everything down. I bought myself a cheap planner from EBay and recorded absolutely everything and I was totally honest. I found that really helped me. If you do this for a couple of weeks and still feel you’re not losing much you can then show your food diary to your SW consultant for her advice.
- be really honest with your syns. It’s easy to forget to count 1/2 a syn for mayo, 1/2 for a yogurt, but they do all add up. Surprisingly quickly at times.
- you could try a few SP days to give yourself a bit of a boost.

I’m sure there’s nothing you don’t already know in what I’ve said, but I hope it will help you to rethink.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Firstly I’m not a SW expert - I followed SW for around 3-4 months but did this alone and wasn’t a member, but I did do a lot of research and also read a lot of the diaries on here.

For some people a 4lb loss in 7 weeks is good. all lose weight differently, but if you feel that’s not typical for you I’d suggest the following:
- are you drinking enough water. I used to track mine every day as I thought I was drinking enough but nearly always underestimated
- are you filling your plate with speed foods first and making sure they are at least a third of your plate.
- be careful with ‘free’ foods. It is easy to have too much. This was my main reason for switching to calorie counting. In the early days of lockdown I was struggling to get groceries and found it hard to have a third of my plate as speed. It made me re-evaluate the ‘free’ protein and carbohydrates I was having so I started calorie counting at the same time. It really helped me re-educate myself on portion sizes. I’m not suggesting you do that, but it is very easy to have too much free food. Many people get caught out because you don’t need to weigh free foods and think they can eat unlimited amounts, but the principles of optimising are to have one third speed and put that on your plate first - that helps control quantities of free food. And also eat until you feel full and no more. That’s harder than it sounds as you may need to relearn / retrain your body on feeling full.
- write everything down. I bought myself a cheap planner from EBay and recorded absolutely everything and I was totally honest. I found that really helped me. If you do this for a couple of weeks and still feel you’re not losing much you can then show your food diary to your SW consultant for her advice.
- be really honest with your syns. It’s easy to forget to count 1/2 a syn for mayo, 1/2 for a yogurt, but they do all add up. Surprisingly quickly at times.
- you could try a few SP days to give yourself a bit of a boost.

I’m sure there’s nothing you don’t already know in what I’ve said, but I hope it will help you to rethink.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Thanks maybe I'm being to hard on myself but will try what you said and hopefully see some results. Thanks you x

Hi There,

I had done Slimming World for around 9 months and I can say that I totally know where you are coming from. I found after a couple of weeks my weight loss started to slow down no matter how well I had done that week being on plan. My body would seem to run a week behind, as in I would smash it being on plan but have a disappointing weigh in. But the next week if i had an ok week on plan I would have a good weigh in.

The first weight to go will be water weight, that's why people see great results the the first couple of weeks but then it starts to slow down. As was said above everybody loses weight differently. You say that you are being very active, well you are probably either toning or building some muscle as well which weighs more than fat.

I found it helpful to use different metrics alongside what the scales say. Like taking measurements of arms, thighs, waste and chest. Keep an eye on things like energy levels, moods etc. I found that even though the scales weren't showing the results I wanted I was still losing inches, I had more energy and my mood had greatly improved.

I'm no expert, just someone who has been there.
You can do it.

Back