Stuffed tomato recipe?

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
Sorry to sound like a total incompetent, but how do I make stuffed tomatoes? I want to put some savoury rice in them.

Am I right in thinking I'll need to cook the rice first? Also, do I part cook the tomatoes in the oven before adding the savoury rice? I made a stuffed pepper a while back, but the savoury rice dried out when I baked it :eek:

I'm useless! :eek:

Sian xxx

Yes you'll need to cook the rice first. It's a greay way of using up leftover rice and cous cous. I've only done stuffed peppers but I don't imagine you'd need to part cook the tomatoes first. And just a suggestion but try wrapping them in foil to retain the moisture.

Instead of rice have you ever thought about pork or beef? I've made stuffed peppers with a sticky pork mince stuffing and it doesn't seem to dry out at all?

xxx

Sounds like your tomato avalanche was a yummy success. Glad I could help

xxx

if you get a spare heA it's lovely with grated cheese on topx

I only ever stuff peppers too but just found this on the Schwartz website and thought it looked good

Bolognese%20stuffed%20tomatoes.jpg

1 onion, chopped
450g (1lb) minced beef
8 large beef tomatoes
2 tbs Schwartz Perfect Shake Garlic Italian Special Blend
125g (5oz) mozzarella, sliced

A classic dish of large beef tomatoes stuffed with a tasty Bolognese sauce and baked in the oven, for a delicious meal for all the family to enjoy.
STEP 1
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.

STEP 2
Fry the onion and minced beef, until browned. Drain excess liquid. Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes in half and scoop out the flesh. Add the Perfect Shake Garlic Italian Special Blend and half of the tomato flesh to the minced beef. Simmer for 5 minutes.

STEP 3
Pour the Bolognese mix into the halved tomatoes, top with mozzarella and bake for 25 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.

A couple of additions (tomatoe puree etc) and I think this could be really good :)

Should be syn free if you count to cheese as a health extra.

Hi Sian,

I had them for lunch today, very tasty indeed and incredibly cheap to make.

I made then without the cheese, not a fan, and they were still very moist.

Well worth a try :)

Back