Summer Salads

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
Thought it would be an idea to share our salad creations for the summer. It is all I have been eating recently with the warm weather we have had here, I just haven't felt like a hot meal at all.

My favourite salad at the moment is:

42g of reduced fat strong cheddar - cubed. (1 HEa)

Crisp lettuce leaves (I use Romaine),

Cucumber,

Red onion, sliced,

Tomato,

Pink lady apple, cubed (these are the best apples ever),

Fresh beetroot, sliced

2 tablespoons of croutons (1.5 syns for the variety I buy and they are yummy)

1 tablespoon of fat free ranch dressing (1 syn).

mmmm sounds lush

i made a very similar salad with pretty much the ingredients except i used the laughing cow cheeses as my HEXa and it was syn free! then its up to you what you want to add depending if you're red, green or EE!! but great thread!! looking forward to seeing some more ideas!

I love the following salad:
*Lettuce (curly pref!); rocket; watercress and spinach
*Roasted veg (red, orange, yellow peppers, red onion and cherry tomatoes) either warm or cold
*Laughing cow extra light (1 or 2 portions - I use as part of hexA)
*Couple of tbsps of syn free bbq sauce
*Herbs - basil, mint and chives from garden

I love the mix of flavours and textures and is my absolute favourite!!!

I like rocket and feta with bacon and pear salad.

my mums fave is bacon and pear with rocket but she melts blue cheese and drizzles it over!

I am loving a load of lettuce leaves (all different varieties), grated carrot, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, spring onions and celery. Then I grate 42g low fat cheese (HEa), 2 boiled eggs, sliced and loads of wafer thin ham (red day) chopped up. If I'm at home I add beetroot and sometimes a little balsamic vinegar!!!

MmmmMMmmm......

I do a salad with about half a pint of frozen peas cooked in microwave for 3 mins, cool in running water then add 2 tbsp jar mint sauce (syn free one) and 2 tbsp malt vinegar to peas, then chill for at least half an hour. Then wash 2 little gem lettuce and place individual leaves on a plate, sprinkle over 84 g feta cheese (2 x HexA) and the chilled peas. It's lovely and fresh, and if you don't mind getting a bit messy, you can pick up each leaf and eat as finger food.

I also do something similar with the minted pea mix, cooked pasta, cold new potatoes and feta. Very filling and lovely fresh tangy taste.

Think I might go and make some now actually!!!!!!

That souns yummy, ELiza, I think I'll try that.

Yesterday I made a delish summer salad:
Mixed leaves - lambs lettuce, frisee and rocket
Blanched green beans
Peas and broad beans
Thinly sliced celery
Crumbled up goats cheese
Dressing made from Olive oil, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard and a pinch of sugar (only used 1tbsp oil and made about 3 portions so not so bad)
Was gorgeous!

We try to have as much variety as possible in our lunchtime salad, with lots of different textures and colours as well as flavours. In addition to absolutely every 'normal' salad vegetable we can get hold of, we often add raw cauliflower and broccoli florets, raw baby corn on the cob, thin slices of raw leek (MUCH nicer than spring onion, in my opinion!), thin slices of raw courgette, thin slices of mooli, which is like a giant white radish, red cabbage, white cabbage, chinese leaves, sweetcorn, chicory, raw beetroot if young and tender - cooked or pickled if not, mangetout, sliced raw mushrooms, peppers of all colours, especially the elongated sweet peppers in red or orange (usually only get them as a 'chuck-out' - they are SO expensive otherwise!).

We always add gerkins, then, the finishing touch, COLD baked beans!!!

I admit that it is sometimes hard work with all the chewing necessary, and our teeth are not what they used to be, but I LOVE my daily lunchtime salad!

OMG! eeek @ cold baked beans! lol

Back