supermarket fruit problem

big bear

A bear on a mission!
Anyone else have a problem with the fruit from tesco? I bought melon, bananas & pineapple. They were ripe on friday & now 2 days later the bananas have gone black, the pineapple & melon got rotten bits. So I now have to chuck 2 melons/pineapple & a bunch of bananas out & I just bought them, really peed off.

Do you keep it all together in the one bowl - bananas give off chemicals that make fruit and veg ripen faster so you should always keep them apart

If not you could take them back to the shop and ask for a refund or replacement

I did have them separate & they're not even the cheaper options. I'll take them back tomorrow X

Check the dates on the labels. they have a short shelflife anyway but i do have problems with their fruit, always goes bad quicker than anywhere else! I just take it back and get more.

The other problem with fruit in the winter is that its pretty much ALL imported from abroad so has a shorter shelf life anyway. At this time of year it is barely worth buying any fruit that you dont plan to eat over the next 24 hours or so.

If i buy from Asda it lasts alot longer than Tesco. With Tesco it doesnt seem to matter what time of year it is. Its not as if its cheap either!

Have to agree. I try to get all mine at the grocers, and it's usually cheaper.

I know it's hard as these fruits are lovely, but I just wouldn't buy them at this time of year, unless I was going to eat them straight away. Mostly I don't bother though as they just don't last long enough, not even in the fridge.
Luckily we get through bananas quickly so if I buy 6 they go within a couple of days but if I was to buy a melon or pineapple I'd eat it within a day.
Why not go for the lovely, in season, citrus fruits? They last ages and are not as expensive. Lovely.

If i buy from Asda it lasts alot longer than Tesco. With Tesco it doesnt seem to matter what time of year it is. Its not as if its cheap either!
I find this too with ASDA. Bananas are still green when purchased and I keep them separate - never need to be thrown out.

Asda or sainsburys I find are better. I keep grapes and melon in the fridge which helps a little. And I have a little monkey who loves her bananas so she helps me get through the fruit quickly.

Back