Surgery???

madferitchick

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has ever considered weight loss surgery, or what people's thoughts are??

I felt so desperate last month I started to investigate it, and made an appointment for an initial consultation. That appointment was tonight, and I went and it was ok but to be honest I didn't find out much, to get to know the important info you have to see the consultant, which costs!

Anyway, since I first made the appointment I have joined here, started using mfp to control my calories and have started exercising, and have lost 16lbs. I am feeling a bit more positive and hopeful and like maybe I can do this without surgery. But I am so scared too. Twice before I have lost over 80lbs and both times I have put the weight all back on. I just can't go through it again, it is just soul destroying and I have such a low opinion of myself for doing do well a d then messing it up, not once but twice!! I know the surgery wouldn't be a easy option by any means, the opposite infact, but it would be a permanent fix (I'd have a sleeve gastrectomy if I did it). Just feeling a bit confused. Desperately want to be able to do this for myself and keep it off this time, I just have such a hard time controlling my emotional eating :(

You could still end up putting the weight back on even with the GB... You've done so amazingly well by losing 16lbs.

You can do this!!

Food is always going to be our demon. But that's ok- because you are stronger than it.

How much do you want to lose, if you don't mind me asking?

hi hun you will do this on your own you do not need this surgery hun x x

Thanks ladies.

Rozee, really I need to lose 9 stone from now, I am 19st 7lb, but to be honest I'd be happy with 7 stone loss now.

I am just so fed up with the constant battle. But I am feeling quite positive at the moment and the difference this time is I am exercising and aiming for slow steady loss rather than drastic quick fix. I just need to be able to stick to it xx

Thanks ladies.

Rozee, really I need to lose 9 stone from now, I am 19st 7lb, but to be honest I'd be happy with 7 stone loss now.

I am just so fed up with the constant battle. But I am feeling quite positive at the moment and the difference this time is I am exercising and aiming for slow steady loss rather than drastic quick fix. I just need to be able to stick to it xx

Well I'm now 19 stone 3.5 lbs- I was 22 stone 10 at my heaviest.

I,too, really thought about surgery- but I'm too scared to do it.

Plus- I want to be able to eat as much as I want when I feel like it- not be restricted by the band haha

Do the exercise, do the healthy eating- you can do it.

You need support-that's all. And we're here if and when you need it.

What exercise are you doing?

The more weight you lose the more happier you'll feel.

I can now see the shape of my knees hahahaha so weird how you'll feel as you see your body take its natural shape.

You can do it. You are strong x

Hiya! I've lost and regained lots of weight so many times over the last 30 years that I can't even remember them all, and let's face it, that's exactly what happens to the vast majority of dieters, there's no denying it, lol. But I would still never consider WLS. Like Roziee said, I want to be able to stuff my face whenever I choose to - I did that all week last week! - and I just need to work on my relationship with food, which will always be complex. But I've spent the last two years losing weight slowly and really trying to find out about the psychology of addictive overeating, both from this site and a variety of books and TV programmes, and I think I'm finally getting somewhere, touch wood! Bariatric surgery doesn't really achieve that. There are other advantages to a slower, non-surgical route, such as minimising loose skin, which can be a huge problem with WLS and VLCDs. There's also all the usual risks associated with any surgery that you have to consider. So my personal opinion is don't give up on losing weight without surgery just yet, but do really work on the mental aspects as well as the physical. :) xx

Thank you for the support ladies. I agree, the wls isn't my ideal option as I too want to be able to stuff my face when I want, but to be honest, therein lies the problem! If I was physically unable to do that ever again I'd have a better chance of keeping the weight off, and the surgery I'd go for would be the gastric sleeve, so it's not reversible.

Roziee, I am using a cross trainer which I have in my garage so it's nice and convenient. I'm doing 30 mins 3 or 4 times a week...currently doing about 8.5k in 30 mins. I feel good for doing it and def want to get fitter.

Tracy...if you can recommend any good books about the 'head' stuff I'd be really interested?

Thanks again for the support. I really hope by checking in here and using mfp I will start winning this battle! I'm just worried as I go on hols in four weeks to an all inclusive hotel for two weeks. Enjoying the food is a big part of enjoying a holiday for me, so I don't want to not have treats, but I also don't want to completely self sabotage the good progress I've made and it always is after a holiday I seem to spend months trying to get control again! Xx

Hey hon. I think the one I found most sensible was Eating Less by Gillian Riley, I've read that a few times now. She's British, so I found it easy to relate to what she said. And I'm reading one at the moment called Beyond Temptation, by a couple of British sisters - again very down to earth and easy to relate to. :) xx

cavegirl13 said:
Have you read the book/been on beyond chocolate website.I think it is also by the two sisters.Someone mentioned it to me the other day but forgot about it until reading your post.:)

I haven't been on the website, but have heard of it. I've never really been into these self-help books, but am finding some of the overeating ones very useful. :) xx

Thanks ladies, I've now registered on the beyond chocolate website and ordered the beyond temptation book from amazon! It will be good holiday reading and hopefully help with damage limitation whilst on hols too! Xx

Well actually, the first parts of the book are more about identifying why you overeat without you actually stopping doing it, so it could fit in well with being on holiday! Although I've read it whilst fully controlling my eating and just thought back to my bingeing days, so I think you can do it either way really. :) xx

Hi Madferitchick,
let me tell you WLS is not a miracle cure.
I had a gastric band 10years ago. Initially lost 10st with exercise. Met a new partner, and slowly the weight returned. WLS might tackle the physical side of wanting to eat but it doesn't tackle the mental side.
if you want certain foods bad enough, you will find a way around the band. And of course, you can still consume too many calories. For example, instead of sitting and eating properly, I would choose chocolate bars, crisps, ice cream, biscuits. Easy, quick and not causing restriction because they go through the band easily.
there is still a lot of will power and making the right food choices with any WLS.
I now truly believe, the only way of tackling obesity is with diet and exercise. I wish I had thought like that 10 years ago and saved myself £7,500!!
i have now started using my band properly again and have lost 2st but, it is still easy to slip into bad habits again if I chose to. Good luck with whatever you decide xx

hi jambro
lovely to meet you and someone who will tells the truth about it good luck on your journey x x x x

Thanks jambro. As chez says, its good to get an honest account from someone.

To be honest its not the band I'd have if I went down the surgery route, but the gastric sleeve. However, I am still staying on track and have had another good day with food and just done my exercise, so I'm feeling positive and in control atm! Also just started reading beyond temptation which is an interesting read so far too!

Hope everyone else is having a good week. Counting down the days to holiday now, bet you are too chez?!! Xx

Thanks jambro. As chez says, its good to get an honest account from someone.

To be honest its not the band I'd have if I went down the surgery route, but the gastric sleeve. However, I am still staying on track and have had another good day with food and just done my exercise, so I'm feeling positive and in control atm! Also just started reading beyond temptation which is an interesting read so far too!

Hope everyone else is having a good week. Counting down the days to holiday now, bet you are too chez?!! Xx
hi madforitchick
yeah lol im same as you hun on countdown hun wow its going slow though lololol

Back