SW Frozen Meals - Meatballs and Pasta

lt52

Silver Member
Ok getting down them a bit now.....
... I was a little disappointed here, the meatballs were lovely (not bought a bag yet so at least i know i like them) but the sauce was just too watery. My idea of watered down spinach with tomato water sauce and disintegrated onion from what i can tell lol.

Personally, if i bought a bag of syn free meatballs, i could easily throw together pasta and a syn free sauce and make something reasonably close to this. I am no cook so apologies if i am slating it lol. It doesn't look that appetising really on the plate either lol.

How have people found this one?

Lee

DSC_0001 (1).jpg

I thought exactly the same.

Will just buy the meatballs & make my own pasta & sauce.

I love the tikka though! Nice & spicy.

Dxxx

I thought exactly the same.

Will just buy the meatballs & make my own pasta & sauce.

I love the tikka though! Nice & spicy.

Dxxx

Glad its not just me then! Its a shame as on paper this should be pretty top notch. I have reviewed and like the tikka too. I got my second one for the freezer for when my curry urges call next! Only a couple left to try, my iceland is ALWAYS out of stock on most of them!

Mine is usually ok.

Will have another tikka next week at some point & might try another variety aswell.

I think the Singapore noodles are just ok too.

Dxxx

Mine is usually ok.

Will have another tikka next week at some point & might try another variety aswell.

I think the Singapore noodles are just ok too.

Dxxx

Yeah i've reviewed that one too, its not what i was expecting. I took a chance and got two of those when i could as i could never get them. They are waaay better than any noodle type dishes i come up with so its all good there lol

I really liked the meatballs and pasta,so much so that I made it following the recipe on the back as well.Its so unlike me I usually avoid ready meals like the plague.I also enjoyed the Singapore noodles,but the sweet potato curry won't be something I buy again.

I really liked the meatballs and pasta,so much so that I made it following the recipe on the back as well.Its so unlike me I usually avoid ready meals like the plague.I also enjoyed the Singapore noodles,but the sweet potato curry won't be something I buy again.

It is interesting isn't it. They definitely are 'quality' as ready meals and you can really tell. I usually don't have ready meals either, i will have some of these in the freezer just in case but not for anything regular. I'm guessing making it from fresh will be a lot better, my cooking skills are really really really basic lol.

I tried the sweet potato curry last night and I was really impressed. It's nice to have few ready meals in for emergencies. I have the meatballs in the freezer so will let you know what I think once I've tried them.

I tried the sweet potato curry last night and I was really impressed. It's nice to have few ready meals in for emergencies. I have the meatballs in the freezer so will let you know what I think once I've tried them.

The meatballs themselves were alright i just wanted the whole thing to be better lol. They tasted a little italian so quite interesting

I havent tried any of them yet but popped into Iceland yesterday with my vouchers and got the sausages, the meatballs, then the chicken tikka, sweet potato curry, salmon pasta and the roast veg pasta

I'm not a ready meal fan but am willing to try them and if they're ok will keep a couple in for the odd emergency meal

Looking forward to trying the sausages for scotch eggs. My friend tried them and said they were so meaty she couldnt manage more than two with her mash and gravy

I havent tried any of them yet but popped into Iceland yesterday with my vouchers and got the sausages, the meatballs, then the chicken tikka, sweet potato curry, salmon pasta and the roast veg pasta

I'm not a ready meal fan but am willing to try them and if they're ok will keep a couple in for the odd emergency meal

Looking forward to trying the sausages for scotch eggs. My friend tried them and said they were so meaty she couldnt manage more than two with her mash and gravy

Yeah they do taste meaty. I like them they do remind me of something though. I enjoyed the tikka curry - better than most. I agree i don't like ready meals but you can tell with these there are some quality to them. I will be trying them all. Nearly got through them all. And will get some more of the ones i'm into. I think they taste waaaay better than anything i can cook so actually its all good in my book lol

Yeah they do taste meaty. I like them they do remind me of something though. I enjoyed the tikka curry - better than most. I agree i don't like ready meals but you can tell with these there are some quality to them. I will be trying them all. Nearly got through them all. And will get some more of the ones i'm into. I think they taste waaaay better than anything i can cook so actually its all good in my book lol

And you can then try the recipes yourself for the ones you like?

And you can then try the recipes yourself for the ones you like?

Ooooo no faaaaar to complicated - my cooking skills are either undercooked for burned - and anything that is remotley ok, doesn't taste nice! lol

Ooooo no faaaaar to complicated - my cooking skills are either undercooked for burned - and anything that is remotley ok, doesn't taste nice! lol

Practice makes perfect lol

image-2794363120.jpg

Leave the film off completely during the second stage of cooking! It helps evaporate the extra water due to freezing! I also blasted it for an extra minute for good measure - much much better outcome!!! I personally prefer cooking my own food but these are handy for the odd occasion where you just can't be bothered!!! ?

View attachment 168506

Leave the film off completely during the second stage of cooking! It helps evaporate the extra water due to freezing! I also blasted it for an extra minute for good measure - much much better outcome!!! I personally prefer cooking my own food but these are handy for the odd occasion where you just can't be bothered!!! ?

I left mine a little longer but never thought about that - will do it if i have it again!

Thanks

When I tried the sausages they reminded me a bit of bratwurst - don't know if that's what you thought as well.

I don't generally use ready meals and make everything from scratch but bought a few to try. So far have only tried the sausages and the beef & veg crush one. I cooked the beef one in the oven and from what I've read elsewhere it's probably better than microwaving as people are saying the sauce is watery and it definitely wasn't when done in the oven. We had it with roast potatoes & a green veg and it was lovely. Will definitely be buying a couple more of those to keep in the freezer.

Denise

When I tried the sausages they reminded me a bit of bratwurst - don't know if that's what you thought as well.

I don't generally use ready meals and make everything from scratch but bought a few to try. So far have only tried the sausages and the beef & veg crush one. I cooked the beef one in the oven and from what I've read elsewhere it's probably better than microwaving as people are saying the sauce is watery and it definitely wasn't when done in the oven. We had it with roast potatoes & a green veg and it was lovely. Will definitely be buying a couple more of those to keep in the freezer.

Denise

Yeah i'm not sure - they are sausage like but i still can't put my finger on what they remind me of. I tried quite a few and got some repeats as i like curry and can not do that from scratch EVER! lol. I've not tried that one yet - i want to but don't think i will like it that much. My local iceland is pants at keeping stock in!

Lee

Pete’s Ragu sauce (2015)

Serves 4
Ingredients
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Carrot, grated (s)
1 Knorr stockpot
1 Tsp Dried basil
1 Tbsp. Tomato purees (s)
1 Tbsp. Sweetener
3 Garlic, crushed (s)
400g Chopped Tomatoes (s)
500mL Passata (s)

Method

In a frying pan, sprayed with frylight, cook the onion for 5 mins, add the garlic & cook for 2 mins, add the stockpot & dissolve. Add the carrot, tomatoes, passata & sweetener, sprinkle over with the basil.
Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, add the tomato puree, cook for 20mins or until thickened.
Serve with meatballs & pasta.

Meatballs in ragu sauce (Small).JPG

Back