SW Gravy

Nightwolf

Someone said something awhile back about OXO granuals with Smash for low syn gravy. I know Smash is free on green and EE, but what about OXO granuals? How many syns per spoon or whatever?

Bisto is 2.5syns for 142ml.... that's quarter of a pint!

make a syn free gravy, much more tasty too.

Just chopped some red onion and fry insome frylight until it starts to go caramelised. Add some beef stock (oxo cube works best) bring to the boil and simmer for about 1.5 hours to really bring out the flavour. You can throw in some fresh herbs too and a bit of garlic.

When it is ready then just roughly blitz it with a hand blender to make smooth and it will thicken it up slightly into a lovely onion gravy. All syn free and lovely with mash, a variety of meats and especially sausages :)

Funilly enough, I just had onion gravy on quorn sausages, made it with bisto though as didn't have 1.5 hours :p I'll probably do a roast this weekend so will try it then, when i have more time :)

you could probably cook it for less than that, but I like to prepare it early afternoon for dinner, as it gives it more flavour I think.

I make a 1syn gravy I make a pint and quarter and it serves 4-5
3 oxo cubes (2 chicken 1 beef)
1 quarter boiling water
1 onion sliced
dash of worcester sauce
salt pepper
4 tsp of cornflour (4syns)
small glug of pasatta
put all in saucpan Except the cornflour bring back to the boil simmer till onions are soft then disolve cornflour in a small amount of water probably a tbsp to every tsp and add to pan stir and simmer for further 5 mins stirring occasionally I find this make a very tasty gravy :)

I do a syn free gravy fry onion ans mushroom in frylight, then add a cup of boiling water with a oxo tsp of marmite, soysauce and 1/2 tsp of gravy salt (cromptons - morrisons/ co-op sell it) It takes about 5 minutes and is thin if you wanted to thicken it add some smash and syn it you are looking at about 0.5 sny under the food abuse rules

Hello Britmum,

Sunday Roast day is upon us :eat: How much onion and stock shall I use? xxx

I make it the same way as Britmum and I use half an onion and half a pint of stock. Which I find makes enough for 2 portions, but I only use a little on my spuds, I don't drown my plate in gravy!

HTH

x

I like a lot of gravy too Allie. I use 1 large red onion, cook it until golden in some frylight with some crushed garlic and fresh herbs (I love thyme). Then when the onion is softened and caramelised I add about 500ml of beef stock. (so about 2 oxo cubes). Bring it to the boil and then let it simmer for 1.5 hours if you can, as it really brings out the flavour. I also sometimes add a dash of balsamic vinegar into it.

Then if I am serving the gravy with sausages, I will sieve it to strain out the onions. Set aside half the onions, and add the other half back to the pan and blend all that up. Then add in the cook onions I reserved.

I brown my sausages, put them in a casserole dish, pour over the gravy and bake in the oven for approx 30mins, which results in a tasty sausage with onion gravy dish.

Or you can just blend the whole lot into a smooth gravy and serve with whatever, if you make extra, you can refridgerate the leftovers for another day. Should keep a few days at least in the fridge or you could even freeze some.

allie1904 like you i love gravy! I was told 1 syn per tablespoon (level) of bisto, so i do 2-3 and that does a jug all for moi :)

Someone said something awhile back about OXO granuals with Smash for low syn gravy. I know Smash is free on green and EE, but what about OXO granuals? How many syns per spoon or whatever?

Is smash really free on EE ?? i didnt know that xxx

Thats good to know - I love home made mash and mum cringes but I love making smash onion and salad cream ... lol thanks xx

I know this is a bit late now but I make a completely free gravy.

Dry fry or frylight or water fry chopped onion and garlic, add water, add a couple oxo stock cubes and add a couple tbsp of smash/value mash stir for few mins....voila..free and yummy!​

Back