Sw on a budget !?

RebekahR

Gold Member
Thought we could share ideas to cut pennies! !

Main thing I find pricey is fruit. . Very expensive to get yiur super free in otherwise I keep some basics stock piled which can stretch for meals

Brekkie I get a huge bag of oats for overnight oats. This lasts ages using 20-35g

Dinner/lunch staples
Pasta (value or on offer)
Rice
Passata
Tin mushrooms
Tin new potatoes
Quorn
Beans/lentil

Anything that helps you spend less??

Batch cooking - always make more than you need and freeze portions. It makes it much cheaper.
Liz
X

barley is very cheap and goes a long way. i make a great barley curry (free on extra easy), with just onions, stock cubes, curry powder and whatever veg is kicking about.

That sounds good I will check out the barley

Eat a lot of plain pasta, would love more fruit but its just too pricey!!

barley is very cheap and goes a long way. i make a great barley curry (free on extra easy), with just onions, stock cubes, curry powder and whatever veg is kicking about.

Without sounding silly, what is barley and what does it taste like? How do you cook it? And where do you get it from? Sorry lots of questions lol

Oh also, never buy lentils, rice, spices, tins of chickpeas or kidney beans etc in the normal aisles - always go to the world foods section. They're a fraction of the price!
Liz
X

Try Aldi or Lidl for cheaper fruit, Own brand baked beans, Wholemeal bread & weekly specials.

I have recently become a huge fan of Aldi! Their fruit and veg is a lot cheaper and the quality is the same. I've also had their chicken breasts which are a lot cheaper than other supermarkets. It's great to stock up on tins of chopped tomatoes/kidney beans/ veg etc in there too :)

Finding aldi is same as supermarket fruit wise for prices still too pricey

Been getting some tinned fruit (hex b) and a lot of value passata

This week I got some great fruit on yellow sticker reduction also late evening good time to stock up on wholemeal rolls for freezer (as cheap as 10p!)

I've shredded my list right back and cut tge luxuries (alpen/cereal)

Value pasta
Value passata
Almond breeze(or whatever is on offer)
Chickpeas
Tinned mushrooms
Value aubergine
Eggs
Quorn mince or free sausages
Lentils
Tinned fruit
Satsuma

Finding quorn great. . Two sausages sliced into pasta or the mince goes a long way 4-5 servings

Going to try the vegan alternatives next month see how those are :)

Our sainsburys has 4 tins of chopped tomatoes for One pound for 4

Last edited:
Holland and Barrett sell 5 vegan sausages for £1 and they come in at 1.5 syns each.
Check out dried TVP/soya mince - I get 500g for about £1.89 and once it's rehydrated, it makes loads - a third of the bag will do a meal for 4/5 easy

Oo thanks hun will check those out :)

Attempting the next month on 50 quid so planning ahead and getting ideas

Will maybe make a new thread with details might help someone out xx

would love to spend £50 a month. Im currently £50 a week find it a struggle some weeks as i just use so much. not as much things that are in the cpboard but fruit & veg. I also have 3x babybel lights as my hex a and depending on where i am getting them from can be expensive too.

if i could spend £50 every 2 weeks id be happy! i should have enough things to last me till sat/ sun so i think im going to write a whole 2 week planner out x

Im trying to keep it strict and basic

A lot of tinned value stuff - passata, tinned mushroom, sweetcorn value pasta

Citrus fruit mainly

Woopsy wholemeal bread in the evenings

No dairy no pricey special hex options! !

Using stuff in larder we had oats and wheetabix now for two months going strong

So far not too bad I've done a 35 quid order thinking I will put 15 in my purse for the rest of month. Got enough in larder to last a month easily! !!

X

I know aldi is on par with fruit prices sometimes, but it's still worth checking their super 6 out, 69p each they change every fortnight.

I couldn't live on £50 for a month, will be interesting to see how you get on and what sort of meals you make x

I did my first shop at aldi yesterday. Saved me a fortune on fruit and veg! The super 6 as said above is fab! I will be going back next week. £50 for a month sounds like a challenge! Is that for 1 person? Good luck though! X

Week 1 -7.5lb
Week 2 - 4.0lb
Week 3 - 0.5lb
Week 4 - 4.5lb
Week 5 - hol
Week 6 - sts
Week 7 - sts
Week 8 -
Week 9 -
Week 10 -

Back