DUKAN ON A BUDGET...

thank you x

Aldi have got their SF Jellies back in stock (ours has LOL) 29p per packet. Comparisons- Asda is 39p & Morrisons is 38p. Even Hartleys are 69p for two. Worth stocking up.

Turkey Mince is still £1.75 at Aldi.

Bulk Cooking Chicken to save money.

Aldi have small chickens at £2.99.

Buy 2 chickens and cook them to your taste.

I let them cool completely and then stripped them. Breast meat went on one plate, thigh and body meat on another. I then pulled the pieces apart into strips, similar to how duck is served with crispy pancakes. Then bagged up 70-80g portions. I labelled which was breast and thigh so that when I need meat for cooking or eating I know which is which. I am a faddy chicken eater and don't really like thigh meat, but in curries or mixes I don't notice it so much, but on a sandwich I need breast hence the different bags.

70g of chicken breast was more than enough for my sandwich yesterday and filled the bread making it a huge doorstop of a sandwich.

I got 11 bags of meat out of two chickens. If I was to buy a pack of cooked chicken from asda it would cost more than £1, even buying a pack of cheap sliced ham is 61p so I still saved 71p. And of course the chicken is pure protein with nothing added in, no salts sugars or preservatives.

Make your own yogurt if you can. Some people have proper yogurt makers but if you haven't got one or can't afford to buy one, a small cheap slow cooker will do the trick.

Use 1 ltr carton UHT Skim Milk
2tbsp Live Yog (yeo valley to start with, but after that use from the yog you made)
2tbsp of Skim Milk Powder

Heat yogurt in SC for 2 hours then allow to cool for 2 hours (easy test to see if cool enough....stick finger into milk, if its cool enough to leave finger in then its ready to use)
Add Milk Powder and Live Yogurt to warm milk and stir well.
Cover with blankets/towels for approx 8 hours. I quite often leave 10-11 hours as this makes it thicker....great for making after tea and being ready for breakfast.
You can drain it at this point if you;d like but it reduces how much yogurt you end up with. I leave it and I get 2 500ml tubs.
Put in fridge to cool.

If you haven't got a slow cooker or not able to buy one, try using a thick based pyrex/casserole dish thats microwave safe.

I have recently started cheating and I heat my milk for 14min on 600w in the microwave, I then leave to cool out of the Slow Cooker base for about 1.5 hours. when standing for its 'thickening' phase i put the bowl back in the SC base and cover for usual hours. I've been making it this way for about 4 months now and never had a problem with it, its less electric too LOL....another saving.

I worked it out that if a pot of Asda SP Yog is 55p for 500ml and a litre of UHT milk is 53p from Aldi, then I have already saved half my money. As I get two pots out of the SC, so saving 55p straight away. I bought my Slow Cooker for a tenner from B&M and as I make an average of 2-3 batches a week it only took 7-10 weeks for me to save my money. Since then I'm making money LOL.

Just making this now, have heated milk in pan brought to slight boil, am cooling atm but when i put in slow cooker do i leave it on low setting high or warm?

Thanks

Sam xx

neither. you just leave it. Put the milk in the slow cooker straight away if heating in a pan is the only way to get it hot. Just put bowl in the cooker case with lid on and let it stand, mine is usually 2 hours. I've never heated in a pan before, as I've always heated mine in the microwave first. Let it cool for a couple of hours, till you can put a finger in and its just upper warm...if you can't keep finger in its too hot. Add yogurt and milk powder and then cover for 8 hours.

Dunno what i'm doing but my yoghurt is a proper epic fail lol. I woke up to evaporated milk the first try cos i left thd slow cooker on low and the second try was still like milk but with a yoghurt bottom which I found bizarre cos I turned it off, :confused: not too ire where to go next with lol. Hope you can help, this yoghurt is costing me a fortune hahaha.

Sam xx

Hi, hmmm sounds strange. I have had different consistencies a few times, and even a slimy slide off the spoon type LOL.

These are the rules I tend to follow these days for the best yogurt.

I heat it for 14mins at 600W in the Microwave in the slow cooker crock pot, I then put the pot back in the base and put the lid on.

I let it cool until I can put my finger in and swirl it round without scalding my finger. Imagine making a cup of tea and letting it stand for half an hour, its usually quite cool by then, but still drinkable. (mine can take anywhere between 2hours and 3 hours.....soya yogurt this morning took 3 hours) Don't let it go cold, it must be still warm to work.

I use about 2-3 tbspns of starter yogurt (from my last batch) and put it in a little tub to 'warm' up to room temperature for about 3 hours, so I generally need to take it out of the fridge an hour or so before I heat the milk.

I then put starter yogurt into cooled milk with about 2 heaped tbspn of Skim Milk Powder (Aldi or Marvel). Mix really well and then cover with a really heavy thick blanket. I have two of my daughters fleece blanket and a towel as my 'blanket'. I then leave it as long as I can, minimum for me is 9-10 hours, occasionally 12. I find that more than this doesn't change the consistency of the yogurt, but less than this can be thinner liquid.

I find quite often that when I take the blanket off the sides of the pot is still warm, this is good as its obviously done a slow make. I stir really really well and then decant into old large yogurt pots.

Its a similar thickness to aldi/muller pots of yogurt. If you want it thicker you will need to strain the yogurt in a muslin cloth, which will halve the quantity of yogurt....I never do that now, only ever did it twice LOL.

Hope some of that helps.

Oh and also make sure the covered pot isn't in a draught, I have it tucked right back against my wall on the worktop.

Posted twice in error.

Brilliant thanks so much for that:thankyou: I don't have a microwave though :rotflmao:Here's what I've done tonight.
I've had the slow cooker on high for 15 mins, brought the milk up to just about boiling point on stove then added into slow cooker. left on for another 15 minutes then turned off.
It cooled down so I'm able to dip my finger in then I've added my yogurt and milk powder and whisked it through to an inch of its life.
I've done like you said and pushed it back against my wall and covered with 3 micro fiber tea towels.

fingers crossed it's great when I finish work at 8.30 tomorrow night. Do you keep stirring it or just leave it? If it fails again i'm buying a yoghurt machine:giveup::happy096:

Here's hoping xx

Sam xx

Brilliant thanks so much for that:thankyou: I don't have a microwave though :rotflmao:Here's what I've done tonight.
I've had the slow cooker on high for 15 mins, brought the milk up to just about boiling point on stove then added into slow cooker. left on for another 15 minutes then turned off.
It cooled down so I'm able to dip my finger in then I've added my yogurt and milk powder and whisked it through to an inch of its life.
I've done like you said and pushed it back against my wall and covered with 3 micro fiber tea towels.

fingers crossed it's great when I finish work at 8.30 tomorrow night. Do you keep stirring it or just leave it? If it fails again i'm buying a yoghurt machine:giveup::happy096:

Here's hoping xx

Sam xx

No don't stir it, because every time you take the 'blanket' off you will be losing heat. If you put it on tonight, it will be read for the morning and will need putting in the fridge to cool. Is that what you meant by 8.30 tomorrow, that it will have been in the fridge.

If you have a slow cooker, which obv you have LOL, you can do the heating in the cooker....the first instructions I had were to heat it in the slow cooker for 3 hours, then just turn it off and let it cool for a couple of hours and follow the rest of the instructions. I was just a lazy so and so and used the microwave. To be honest, it sounds like it will still work though as you have heated it properly anyway.

I don't know what to suggest to be honest if it doesn't work, other than try it heating in slow cooker itself. If you look on you tube there are a few videos on how to do it too, that's where I saw it.

The only thing that has kind of worried me about your process is the tea towels. I am imagining their thickness based on my micro fibre dusters, and they aren't going to be thick enough to keep the heat in long term. You really do need a blanket or a tea cosy or something. The combined thickness of my blankets and towel is probably a good 10cm thick. Imagine folding your quilt and putting it over it. The longer the heat is in the pot the longer it breeds the bacteria and thickens the milk. My pot in the morning would still feel warm, its never gone cold. Go put a folded bath towel over it or something LOL, hope it works for you xx

YAY well done sammie, it was the towels that did it LOL :D

So pleased for you, and now you will be saving loads. Even my mum said she liked the taste of it, its not as tart as shop bought, I much prefer it.

Asda low fat soft cheese has lower values on all nutritional information than philladelphia extra light, which i believe is a tollerated product. Yet it's only 50p !!! (not sure if it's edible yet tho)!!!
Also amazingly enough fillet steaks in m and s are only £8 for two and they are dead nice quality from there.

is philadelphia extra light a tollerate product?

30g portion only as a tolerated item.

Bump post number 4 for the yogurt

We live in New Zealand (we used to live in the UK) and things are so expensive here compared to the UK. I miss the days of 99p salmon from Morrisons. The veg and dairy is so over priced especially because there is such a huge industry here but we pay giant prices for the goods.
But meat here is dirt cheap. I can afford to have steaks every day here, it's that affordable.

Thanks for these tips! I got my first weeks shop from Ocado (I qualified for a free bottle of champagne, so not just crazy extravagance) but from now on I'll be travelling to Aldi for my veg on cruise and walking round to the local Asda for everything else.

One thing that I do do, because I don't like waste but have to watch cholesterol, is buy the 2 chicks egg whites. It's free range and is the equivalent of 15 whites. It's not cheaper but it keeps for a week so I use half of it for omelettes/quiche/meatloaf and use the other to make a batch of pancakes. I can't get it very often so the rest of the time quietly weep as I throw away the yolks.

Back