SW syn free Crisps

Love SW chips, tried for the first time last night and was surprised how yummy they actually tasted.

Having these tonight for my tea I cannot wait! :D

I've made these crisps once and I didn't syn them but I would if I had them often. The fact that they are a bit of a faff to make is a good thing for me as I've not been not tempted to make them often. I flavoured them with salt and balsamic vinegar and they were lovely.

I invested in a dry air fryer for no fuss slimming world chips etc., it's been a lifesaver

Slimming World crisps - two thoughts...

They have syns. I calculated the syn value as follows:
Assuming using potatoes and nothing else. Using the Syns calculator after looking up nutritional values...

Potatoes per 100g

KCals 87
Protein 1.9g
Carbs 100g
Fat 0.1g

Syns 4 1/2

Remember that this syn value is for 100g of raw potato. The crisps will weigh a lot less once they are cooked.
We usually use the peelings from potatoes when we prepare SW chips in the oven. Remember to scrub the potatoes before peeling them. It's much easier than trying to scrub the peelings before cooking them!

Preparation:
Use a microwave crisp making rack such as available on Ebay. They can be had for under £5.

Slice a potato very thinly, using a potato peeler. I find that a 70gram potato will make around 30 crisps. Alternatively, use the peelings from washed potatoes when preparing other dishes.
Lie the potato slices on a chopping board and mop them with a piece of paper towel to remove surface moisture.
Sprinkle salt and pepper (or other herbs or spices) over the slices.
Place the slices in the microwaveable plastic rack.

Microwave for one or two minutes, depending on the amount of potato in the rack. I do 2 minutes for around 36 slices.
Take out the rack and remove the condensation from the inside of the microwave. It will get very wet inside.
Replace the rack in the oven and microwave the crisps for another two minutes.
Remove and mop out the microwave again.
Repeat the cooking for another 2 minutes and the crisps should be just about ready. If they are still a bit limp, mop out the microwave and repeat the process until they are crisp.

If you don't mop out the microwave it just takes longer to cook the crisps and they don't crisp up so well.

The rack costs around £3 to £5 on Ebay.co.uk, but they all seem to come from abroad. We've had our rack for years and I can't remember where we got it from. Just go to Ebay and search for "microwave crisp maker"

If you have an Actify you can cut your potato really small and "over cook" it. It's essentially crispy chips but tastes like kettle chips. I sometimes use my nicer dicer to make shoestring fries and they are similar. I have them as my potato with dinner though and not as a snack but they are immense!!!!

I don't have one of those, I put potato in microwave works well :)

Aw i got my wee hopes up for syn free crisps :(

thats a shame would love a synfree snack like that that you could nibble on, on a saturday nightxx

thanks

Back