SW vs WW

Pouchie

Ok so I have been trying to do SW for some time but keep falling off the wagon, could someone please explain the difference in the two plans. I am not trying to start a riot I am just quite confused in the difference between syns and pro points. I have looked over some of the diaries and the menus look good and more flexible than SW although SW does allow me pasta, am I allowed pasta on WW? I am also feeling slightly guilty even thinking about straying from SW as i know it is a good plan but I need something to kickstart me

Sorry for all the questions any information would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

You may be better posting this in the WW forum as we all basically follow SW. I did do WW briefly a few years ago but I think it's all changed now.

A friend follows it however and I do think that their plan may be a bit more 'convenient' in that you can eat whatever you fancy really but by doing that you are potentially leaving yourself open to eating rubbish and non filling foods. Also, the portion sizes aren't great either.

Yeah you'd probably get a better response from the WW forum as they'll know the plan more. I know there are a couple of people on here who have followed propoints or some still do, but I doubt they'll look in this section as often now.

My impression of WW is the same as above to be honest, but I could be wrong as I've never followed it myself

I was a big fan of weight watchers and I lost 2.5 stone on it and swore by it because it was so handy and who can have anything u want and u could save all ur points for a drinking session

But

Then they changed to pro points and I found that I was very hungry and my pro points allowance didn't stretch enough :( I also must admit I didn't give it 100% after the first two weeks, I dunno whether that was because I lacked motivation or because I felt like I was on a diet.
I came off the plan a year ago and maintained my weight
it's taken me a year to join sw (I felt I was cheating on ww lol) and I'm eating more than what I've ever ate and chocolate every night. I had my first weigh in today and I'm 5lb down :)

I'm a stay at home mum so I have the time to cook and prepare the sw meals so that would be the only downfall if u don't have much time to prepare. But I'm sure there is a lot of working mums on here that are able to do it.

And yes u can have pasta on ww but u will need to e strict on weighing it and I'm sure it will cost a lot of points.
Sorry for the rant. Hope it helps x

Pro Points works, it is a good diet however I find that I am hungry on it and that I eat much much more crap because I can.
I always chose WW over SW but my reasons were wrong. I wanted ready meals, I wanted bread and cereal and chocolate and spent way too many points on WW crap (crisps, cakes etc etc).

SW is more restrictive in what type of foods you can have but you are greatly encouraged to eat healthy and nutritious foods and you can fill up on them.

For me, I had to choose between a healthy diet or one that will restrict calories but gives me a much greater choice (it's my own fault that I can not choose wisely but I wouldn't need to lose weight if I could lol)

Anyway, if you are able to to make good choices and don't need big portions then you can be just as successful on WW.

To each their own and all that jazz! :)

I'll say what I always say on threads like this - all diets work if you stick to them. Okay, so you can choose to spend your points on rubbish but there's nothing to stop you eating rubbish on SW either.

I actually found WW taught me a bit of portion control which I think is lacking on SW. Most fruit and veg is now free on WW so you really can bilk out your meals.

Lets face it, we can live on noodles, pasta in sauce, mugshots and other such rubbish on SW if we choose to do so.

Both diets have their pros and cons, both work, it's best to pick one and not compare.

I've done ww before its great for convenience you can just pick a packet of anything and eat it basically but it didn't encourage me to eat healthy like sw does I think it depends on life style and what you expect from a diet. I like cooking and eating new foods so sw is great for me plus I can still use my syns for treats. Like another poster says ww is good for portion control but I got fed up of weighing everything! X

We have people in our class that have been to WW and they all say they were starving all the time.

I signed up to gym last night and the women who took all our details said that she just started WW and put 5 lb on first week, that says it all for me rearly.

CraigA said:
We have people in our class that have been to WW and they all say they were starving all the time.

I signed up to gym last night and the women who took all our details said that she just started WW and put 5 lb on first week, that says it all for me rearly.

Wow! Neither can be doing it right!!! Takes a lot to gain 5lb!!! And with all the free fruit and veg there's no need to be hungry!!

jaylou said:
Wow! Neither can be doing it right!!! Takes a lot to gain 5lb!!! And with all the free fruit and veg there's no need to be hungry!!

Ermmm - remember my 5lb gain the week I did WW? :)

I was never hungry though!

I have done both WW and SW and there are obviously pros and cons to both. But you can't really liken syns to PP, because syns are an added extra, whereas with WW, PP is all you have! I just couldn't be bothered to keep adding up my PP and found it quite negative- what happens when you get to teatime and you only have a couple of points left? At least with SW, even if you have had your HEs and 15 syns, there's always plenty you can still eat. The downside, though, is that SW doesn't really teach you about portion control.

ScarlettStar86 said:
Totally off topic this thread confused me- kingleds has an avatar twin...? Or is my phone ap going crazy?

OMG you're right! How unlikely is that!

Off to change mine :) need to do it anyway!

ScarlettStar86 said:
Totally off topic this thread confused me- kingleds has an avatar twin...? Or is my phone ap going crazy?

Yes Pouchie who started this thread has the same avatar as Kingleds which is disconcerting. You just get used to people being linked to avatars, a bit like their identity, and I get confused when they change! I'm not good with change ;-)

Back