sw without sweetener/frylight

vanwoodle

hi, have been of sw for moons now and im sure you can guess what's happened !!! im looking to start back next week and try and get my head back into it good style. was just wondering if anyone successfully does sw without using artificial sweeteners or frylight. since cutting out as much artificial stuff as i can i feel much better with regards to headaches etc. also think my food tastes so much nicer so enjoy it more. ( maybe thats the problem!!!) obviously would syn accordingly but was just wondering if anyone does this. x

I don't use sweeteners and try to stay away from anything with aspartame. I'd rather use 1 syn for sugar! Though I take black tea and only really use sugar in a receipe eg the banana pancakes in the sw mag. My friend is the same and she uses olive oil. It hasn't stopped her losees..she's lost..3 stone in 4 months and at target and looks fab. I think it's personal choice but aspartame is a no no for me.

3 stone in 4 months is amazing!!! certainly gives me some confidence that it can be done. must admit olive oil would be my main syn. do take sugar in tea but only have 2/3cups a day usually. i suppose im gonna have to get used to not using syns on junk and instead use them for meals im gonna really enjoy. i had a mullerlight recently at work and couldn't believe how sweet and yuk it tasted...(i used to sweat if these weren't in my fridge!!) thanks for your reply x

I've just restarted SW - I don't use artificial sweeteners, I'm giving the old fry light a try. I just eat a lot of plain fat free Greek yoghurt with fruit, far nicer and more filling than mullerlights!

I don't have aspartame either, I use stevia based sweeteners which are natural and free as well as delish. I also use real sugar and just syn it :)

' it easily done. Get some plain soya yog to avoid diet sweetened stuff (6 syns for a big pot) there's maybe some dairy aspartaminr free yog that's low syn too but I don't eat dairy.

I use the olive oil spray - it is excellent. I don't like Frylight at all - the appearance, the smell, the taste. I occasionally use sugar, and syn it.

I refuse to use either frylight or sweeteners. My weight loss may be slow and steady, but I'm OK with that.

I like the Filippo Berio mild olive oil spray as recommended above. It's not syn free but I end up using far less oil than before SW so I'm happy. I don't use much sugar anyway tbh. I've even got used to having Yeo Valley natural 0% fat yogurt to avoid sweeteners and syns. If I want to make some nice SW autumnal dessert in the future, I'll just syn the real sugar.

Sw can most definitely be done without fry light or sweeteners. Things like onions, mushrooms, mince etc I find that you don't need any spray/oil at all and you can just use boiling water (perhaps with a bit of stock).

A handy tip I read for cooking onions I read on here recently (sorry I can picture avatar but not username!) was to put them in a bowl with a bit of boiling water, cover and microwave for 2 minutes. They come out really soft which I find is hard to achieve with fry light x

Yes I tend to sweat onions and veg etc in a little water instead of using frylight. When it comes to eggs you could poach or coddle instead of frying. Scrambled eggs you can do in the microwave.

As for sweeteners, I suppose a lot of convenience foods have them but you could use honey in porridge or yogurt and hot drinks.x

I have an oil sprayer and just fill with olive oil and as said previous although you have to syn you hardly use half a tsp ,

I bought a bottle of frylight, but won't get another. I don't like the smell of it. I'm very grateful to read about the other low sin spray oil here thanks. I never eat anything with aspartame in or any product that says artificial sweetner on the label. Every now and again I treat myself to some stevia, which is pretty healthy. Well, it is if you get the purest form. Some of the supermarket brands like one I saw in Sains only had 1 per cent stevia in it and the rest was unrecognizable chemical names.
I always fry in a bit of stock, it tastes just as nice. I had a tip to dip potato wedges in apple juice, rather than spread with oil. It tastes lovely and doesn't take many sins.

I use this.

2.5 syns for 7ml... But ive never synned it. I've lost 3.5 stones and its never affected my losses.

I rarely have more than 5 syns a day anyway so I wouldn't be over syn allowance per day.

image-366667992.jpg

Can I ask what the issue with fry light is- I avoid sweetners like the plague (rarely have soft drink or cordial) and would never cook with it, but use frylight as I didn't realise there was an issue, would genuinely like to know.

For me, it is the smell mostly, and the taste. Smells horrible to me, and some of the varieties taste a bit odd. And also I don't think it fries very well.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, health-wise (unlike the concerns about sweeteners). The ingredients are oil and water and some thickeners.

The other thing I have found is that on my Actifry it leaves a residue which is hard to clean off. I know that there are people here who have used Frylight successfully with their Actifry, or similar gadgets, but not me.

A new discovery for anyone going sweetener free - Liberte strained Greek 0% fat yoghurts, bought mine in asda. Natural is free, the strawberry or blueberry fruit layers are just 1 syn a pot, and they're really lovely! No sweeteners and not masses of sugar either.

For me, it is the smell mostly, and the taste. Smells horrible to me, and some of the varieties taste a bit odd. And also I don't think it fries very well.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, health-wise (unlike the concerns about sweeteners). The ingredients are oil and water and some thickeners.

The other thing I have found is that on my Actifry it leaves a residue which is hard to clean off. I know that there are people here who have used Frylight successfully with their Actifry, or similar gadgets, but not me.

I do use frylight quite liberally, butI also find it leaves a sticky residue which is so difficult to clean off pans etc. A real pain. And if I use it for chips or roasties the whole oven is splattered with the stuff. grr

I agree that Frylight smells funny and doesn't do a great job of frying. I also personally prefer to use the more natural option if possible, syns aside.

Really like the tip of using olive oil sprays, guys. I haven't seen them for sale in the supermarket where I live, but I think I may pop by the home/kitchen store on the way home and see if there is anything like it available.

thanks for the tip!

I do any veg/meat in a pan with water on the hob, 0 syns and once you've added your spices or flavourings you'd never know the difference. I agree that Frylight welds itself to everything it comes into contact with, not worth the scrubbing!

Back