Sweetners

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if any of you might know of a sweetener which can be used that doesn't contain aspartame? Would like to do a rice pudding that I can share with my baby. Thank you

I use splender now, I found other sweetners gave me headaches x

My friend gets headaches from sweeteners too. Not sure these sweeteners are all that good you know...but being overweight isn't either I suppose! Bit nervous about them.

jacknbetty said:
My friend gets headaches from sweeteners too. Not sure these sweeteners are all that good you know...but being overweight isn't either I suppose! Bit nervous about them.

I have not had a problem since switching, I think the aspartame is the problem

All the supermarkets are stocking their own aspartame free granulated sweetners now. Its shocking when you think how much nasty stuff we've out in our,bodies over the years when supposedly trying to be healthy!

silly sausage said:
How about using honey or fruit as a sweetener - especially as baby is going to be eating it. I personally find that artificial sweeteners are a bit iffy.

Could try, have u ever cooked a rice pudding using these? I always chuck a handful of frozen summer fruit berries in our porridge, it's lovely and cools the porridge down quickly!

I syn sugar or honey rather than have sweetners, I know it may seem like a waste of syns, but sweetners make me feel awful (headaches and shaking) so would rather not have them and use the syns. If you get a really good honey it will have a much nice taste than adding sweetner to you food and much better for you.

HP x

Just in case you don't know, despite being a natural healthy food honey shouldn't be given to baby's under one.
Something about it carrying spores which can harmful to undeveloped immune systems.
I put honey in mine and apple purée in for baby.

After starting SW I had the most intense constant headache of my life and 3 severe migraines in a week. Prior to that I'd had 3 migraines my entire life. I was so ill I'd started googling brain tumours. When I was trying to work out anything new I was eating that could possibly be a trigger, the only thing was sweetener. I was drinking loads of squash and having yogurts all sweetened with splenda. Cut it out completely. From next day my head was fine, I could sleep, my vision was better, no more vomiting and no more migraines. Yahoo! My body really hates splenda lol. I've been using an imported sweetener, that I can't name because it's only legal in uk as a supplement, although it's used widely abroad. But what I sometimes use, and would be ok for kids is agave syrup. Half a syn per teaspoon, made from cactus plant. It's lovely, usually in the free from food section or the whole food section of the super market

Just in case you don't know, despite being a natural healthy food honey shouldn't be given to baby's under one.
Something about it carrying spores which can harmful to undeveloped immune systems.
I put honey in mine and apple purée in for baby.

Sorry, I didn't know that. Thank you for letting us know.

Jacknbetty - I don't make rice pudding, but love berries or pureed apple in my porridge. (I should syn the apple but don't. Don't tell anyone ;))

I have a feeling that sweetner affects us in more ways than we know. Whenever I have oats in the morning I have splenda, whenever I have vlf fromage frais with something I put splenda with it. If I make scan bran cakes or stewed fruit I put splenda with it. I've come to realise that I use quite a bit of it.

I'd love to give it up to be honest, just to see if it has any affect on my health and who knows it may even help weight loss !!!! Just not sure if I'm ready for the challenge :confused:

Back