Swimming v walking

Well, I can realistically walk for much longer than I can swim - I get bored in the pool after 40-60 lengths, which is about 45 minutes (300ish cals). However, if I go out walking, I can easily be out for a couple of hours or more (600 cals, at least).

And you don't have the hassle of paying, or changing, or children in the pool, or bad hair...

I don't think the world is ready to see me in a pool just yet, so walking for me. People underestimate just how many cals you burn when you walk. :)

I'm gonna buck the trend and say swimming. I can keep up quite an intense pace when swimming whilst I am much more likely to dawdle when walking. I'm more of a leisure walker but when I'm swimming I push hard and my muscles seriously ache all over when I'm done. I used to love it but as others have said, it does cost, so I've not been for ages.

i try to do both!

the gym i go to has a lovely pool with hot tubs and a sauna....really relaxing after a workout!

so i always do about 45 minutes on the treadmill at a fast pace (not running though, not fit enough for that yet!)...and that burns about 220/250 calories depending on how much effort i put in...

then i go in the pool...but i cant swim and i am scared of water, so i take my float board in the water with me and hang on for dear life while i kick my way up and down the length of the pool a few times!!! ...... better than nothing i suppose! ha ha !!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wow, that is SO impressive, that you go in the water and use your kickboard if you are scared of water and can't swim! I'm seriously in awe of you right now.

Btw - don't misunderstand my earlier comment. I just meant that I think swimming burns fewer calories if you do it for a shorter time. Obviously it's still a great workout, and if you have stamina, then that's awesome. It is of course also fun! I used to swim competively, but I hardly ever go now. When I go, it feels so wonderful. But when I walk, there are mushrooms, and berries, and nuts to be found, which really take your mind of the idea that you're exercising :)

Absolutely! With walking (especially in the countryside) there's so much more to see. I enjoy the way I feel AFTER swimming usually but WHILST I'm walking. It's pleasant :)

I never though about how much effort I put in to each and it's true when I walk I'm distracted when I swim I usually just go for it xx

Wow, 60 lengths Snakes & Ladders. I get tired after 25! I haven't swam for months and went back on friday and I shattered after 20!

Wow, 60 lengths Snakes & Ladders. I get tired after 25! I haven't swam for months and went back on friday and I shattered after 20!

Aw thanks Chublock...20 lengths is already loads! That's half a kilometre!

I used to swim 50m freestyle for my college when I was at university, so I have the right technique which makes all the difference, trust me! Plus my height helps a lot.

I'm not very fast and I do take breaks though.

Hm, this makes me want to go swimming!!!

Wow, that is SO impressive, that you go in the water and use your kickboard if you are scared of water and can't swim! I'm seriously in awe of you right now.

Btw - don't misunderstand my earlier comment. I just meant that I think swimming burns fewer calories if you do it for a shorter time. Obviously it's still a great workout, and if you have stamina, then that's awesome. It is of course also fun! I used to swim competively, but I hardly ever go now. When I go, it feels so wonderful. But when I walk, there are mushrooms, and berries, and nuts to be found, which really take your mind of the idea that you're exercising :)

thank you for saying that!...i am getting better with each week that passes....there was a time i wouldnt even take my feet off the bottom of the pool floor!....then for the longest time i wouldnt venture away from the sides of the pool....but now i will actually go in the middle of the pool......but i still get freaked out if my head goes remotely under water! ha ha !!

Back