Swiss roll

Amo1979

Recipe for 'Swiss roll' (trust me it's actually really good!) it's actually the 1/2 syn sponge (for any ex SW members) minus the baking powder

4 eggs separated
Splenda to taste (not too much..bout 3-4lge spoons)
Dash vanilla (or whatever u prefer)

Whisk whites till very stiff
Whisk yolks splenda and essence
Add 1/4 whites to the yolk mixture and whisk
FOLD in remaining whites.

Pour onto a greased sheet of parchment on a shallow baking tray (I use real butter as a greaser!) bake 180 around 10 mins and as soon as you take it out, grab the paper and use it to roll the sponge all the way down. Leave to cool like this.

When cooled, unfurl, toss paper, spread with whipped cream (sweetned) and roll again..place on plate, cut a chunk sit down and enjoy :)

Makes a great breakfast on the go...seriously filling! I grab 2 slices going out the door!

Enjoy :)

Amended version...

Add 30z Philly (full fat) to the yolks and proceed as above.

For diff flavours you can substitute the splenda with a sprinkle of whatever flavour s/f jelly you have handy.

I make this so I can grab 2 slices for brekkie and it does me right through to lunch.

Made this today and it was fab, thanks!

Oh I'm delighted to hear that :))

It's a staple for me!

I make this all the time - its my life saver!

Have just made a banoffee one - the filling being one tup of mullerlite toffee mixed with half a tub of quark and 2 tablespoons of sweetner - I then added sliced bananas.

Its really yummy x

Just to note we can't have mullerlight or bananas on Atkins. Sadly.

I'm guessing the poster above has mistaken this for a slimming world post!

sounds good will have to try it shame there isnt a atkins induction friendly jam to put with it mmmmmmmmm

I'm trying this as i type!

I am going to make this tommorrow as i have nothing to do and no car so will have a kitchen day n try new things

Did you whisk the whites really stiff and remember to add the cream cheese?

Hi! I think i must have got a bit of egg yolk in the mixture which stopped the whites stiffening up.I,ve since bought an egg seperator so hopefully.... I dont think i put enough cream cheese in either! What am i like! lol
Will give it another bash at the weekend.thanks Moonlights
Sal

Look at her second post - the amended version adds cream cheese. It definitely would taste like a sweet omelette without it! You really need the whites stuff too - gives it a totally different texture.

Oh ok-I.ll give it another whirl-preferably without my OH over my shoulder going 'WTF' is that!? Lol.
You can tell i,m not the best cook in the world can,t you
Sal

One of my best friends made the swiss roll for me when they came over for dinner (she is the cake and dessert queen) and she put JD in the cream! OMG it was delicious!

One of my best friends made the swiss roll for me when they came over for dinner (she is the cake and dessert queen) and she put JD in the cream! OMG it was delicious!
Oh thats it then! It,s OH favourite tipple so that,d soon shut him up-mind you he,d probably moan that I was wasting it! Lol!
Sal x

Back