Spinach bread

Charlie Brown

This is absolutely delicious and I think induction safe. Really good bread-like texture as well. I imagine, that it will work with other leafy veggies as well and possibly butternut/squash or courgette.

The bread:

• 450g (1 lb) fresh spinach or 175g (6oz) frozen
  • 15g (1/3 oz) butter
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • grated nutmeg
  • 4 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Set the oven to 200°C/400°F. Line a 23 x 33 cm/9 x 13” Swiss roll tin with baking paper, extended a bit up the sides. Use any tin really but test the timings, if you use a swiss roll tin then it's really really nice, rolled up like a swiss roll with ham and cream cheese.
If you’re using fresh spinach, wash well in sinkfuls of cold water, then put it into a large saucepan & cook over a high heat for 7-10 minutes, or until it is very tender. Keep pushing it down into the pan with a fish slice as it cooks. Or, cook frozen spinach in a tiny amount of boiling water, just enough to prevent it from sticking to the pan; it takes the same length of time.
Drain the spinach into a colander and press it very well to extract as much water as possible. Put it into a food processor, along with the butter, egg yolks and the seasonings, and whizz it all at top speed to make a smooth, creamy-looking puree. Whisk the egg whites until they stand in stiff peaks, then gently add the spinach mixture and carefully fold into the egg whites, incorporating as well as you can without stirring too hard. Tip into the tin, level the top gently and sprinkle it with 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the top is springy. While the roulade is baking, prepare a piece of baking paper to turn it out on to, by sprinkling it with the rest of the Parmesan.

Pictures on my blog if you want to see them.

Back