Syn-free chips - mine look nothing like the pictures

possum

Does anyone get their syn-free chips golden brown all over like they are in the picture on the SW website?

Mine look anaemic with patches of smooth brown. Where am I going wrong? Not roughing them up enough? Oven not hot enough?

I find roughing them up, then put in microwave for a few minutes to dry them out helps. Then plenty of frylight and an oven on about 200 to 220 and they are lovely. But you have to hold out and leave them in there a while xx

I've given up trying to make the chips - I make potato wedges instead, start them off in the microwave then sprinkle black pepper & paprika on them and stick them in the oven.
The chips in the magazine look far too perfect!

Glad it's not just mine that look a far cry from the picture in the magazine lol! I thought I'd done something wrong!! Although they didn't taste as bad as they looked!

OK, well I'm pleased we're all having anaemic chips together :8855:

They do taste good though.

Thanks for the tips re drying them out in the microwave and potato wedges. I'll give both of those ideas a go.

I thought it was only me that couldn't get them right.......i do wedges too i put garlic salt on them and half way through cooking i turn them and spray exra frylight on them. They are really yummy

Mine are always really golden and crispy.

I Parboil for 5-8mins. You dont want them too soft or too hard and make sure you strain all liquid away, you don't want any of the water left when you transfer them too the tray as that will make them soggy as they bake in the oven.

I then spray my tray with frylight, spread out my chips, sprinkle with some salt (this is a must for getting them crispy I think). Then spray with frylight over the top.

Make sure oven is preheated to 200c or 400f and bake in the oven, turning over half way through. My chips cook for about 45 mins.

I use Russet potatoes as I find they cook the best.

Last edited:
Mine are always really golden and crispy.

I Parboil for 5-8mins. You dont want them too soft or too hard and make sure you strain all liquid away, you don't want any of the water left when you transfer them too the tray as that will make them soggy as they bake in the oven.

I then spray my tray with frylight, spread out my chips, sprinkle with some salt (this is a must for getting them crispy I think). Then spray with frylight over the top.

Make sure oven is preheated to 200c or 400f and bake in the oven, turning over half way through. My chips cook for about 45 mins.

I use Russet potatoes as I find they cook the best.

Yep, this is how I do mine. Also spray with Frylight half way through cooking.

I d them just the same as britmum - always come out fine.

I use different herbs & spices on them too - got a yummy chilli flake one to give them a kick :)

I have to say that my syn free chips are lush - my top tip is to make sure that the tray that they are being baked on is ultra ultra hot - so much so that the chips sizzle when you throw them on it.
Also, I give them an extra squirt of fry lite about 5 minutes before they come out nthe oven as it makes them more chippy like.

You can get mesh like baking trays in Pound World, that are supposed to be great for cooking the SW chips on.

Mine turn out ok too, I always leave the skin on the potato, less work and it goes crispy, sprinkle with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper before cooking.

I put a little bit of cajun seasoning on mine, its free, adds taste, makes them all one colour and tastes lovely with most meals xxx

I cook mine on a pizza tray that has little holes in it, they aways turn out great. I usually just have them plain but I'm liking some of the ideas on here so will add some garlic salt next time.

Mmm... wil try garlic salt. Sounds nommy.

Thanks for the tips, mine go like that but taste good. Might re try them following some of the tips, like the microwave one.

Thankyou

yeh the hotter the tray and oven, i find, the better

Back