Syns & weight loss

Anna Banana

Hello, I have just come back from my SW group and have lost 0.5ib. I am a bit dissapointed as I have been so good all week apart from Saturday night when I had 6 vodka & diet cokes but had no syns at all Friday and Sunday to make up for it.

To be honest I get scared using syns and never go over 5 in a day - usually have between 0.5 - 2 max. I am now wondering if I am eatting enough and if I did would this help my weigh loss? I have just tucked into a huge ham salad with 3 syns worth of salad cream light and decided to have a curly wurly 6 syns. It is coming up to * week too for me so wondering if that isn't helping.

So do you think eatting your syns help your weight loss? I think I have got into my head that eatting them will make me gain or something. When I do have them, its usually the sugar free jelly or a stagg veg chilli or something but never usually go over 2 a day unless I am drinking which is very rare these days and then I feel like I have to have no syns for 2 days to make up for it!

Anna xx

I regularly have between 5-10 Syns a day, and like you I have a few vodkas at the weekends... Don't be scared of using Syns, that's what they are for, you might find its just coz of * week this week, you will probably lose more next week... It does take a while to get used to how much you can eat on SW at first, but you will be fine... xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

The difference between 5 syns and 15 syns a day is only 200 calories or 1400 over the course of the week - so having the fully 15 would make no difference whatsoever to your losses.

Having syns can help losses because you feel less deprived and therefore less likely to stray from the plan. It just doesn't feel like you are on a diet' - it is just 'normal' eating. And yes many people find they have better losses when they have more syns - perhaps because without them their daily calorie intake is just too low.

If you have less than 5 a day then you are not following the SW plan.

I always have all of mine. I really enjoy them! When i check out my calories at the end of the day, they would be roughly 1100 without my syns, therefore i would be eating too little if i didn't use them! Id rather have a curly wurly than a mug shot or muller light as an evening snack and the calories aren't much different. Enjoy using your syns for a few weeks and see how you get on. Its worth a shot to see if it makes a difference xx

There is a reason why the SW plan includes syns. If you don't eat syns then you will not get enough fat in your dietn- think about it - the only food you would be eating is from your healthy extra a. You need fat to absorb certain vitamins & minerals, which in turn aid weight loss.

I eat every single one of my syns. If i know i will be having a few drinks at the weekend i will have 5 syns a day for 4 days of the week so i have some extra for the weekend.

I have lost nearly 3 stone, so it does work!!

I don't think eating your syns or not eating your syns would affect your weightloss much. However, not eating them will make you feel deprived and more likely to fall off the wagon. Your syns are there to make SW liveable long term. It's a lifelong plan!

Hi Anna Banana,

I echo what others have said really. 5-15 syns per day is all part of the plan so enjoy your syns and see how your weight loss goes. I know some people say the have less syns when they get nearer to their target but i'm not there yet so can't comment.

Good luck

HP xx

I was thinking the same thing...
In our meeting last night my consultant was talking about it, and she kind of summed it up quite nicely! "Thinking of SW as a business...if it was thought that you would lose more weight using less syns or no syns at all, then it would say so in the plan".

I think that is a good point.. and from now on I'm going to eat all my syns! :D

Thank you for your replies - well I have decided to eat more syns a day and will see how I get on! Today I have had a fox's chocolate chip biscuit 6 syns, and going to have some ravoli for tea which is 3.5 syns so a lot more than I would normally have in a day!

Need to go shopping for syn snacks, like quavers, curly whirlys etc - my meals are mainly syn free which I cook for myself so going to enjoy my syns on snacks.

Anna xx

You don't have to use your syns for junk food you know!! I know a lady at my group who doesn't eat chocolate or biscuits or crisps as she can't trust herself to stop. So she uses them for extra cheese, and cooks with olive oil, or has some ryvita or a couple of slices of toast with marmite on them.

kingleds said:
You don't have to use your syns for junk food you know!! I know a lady at my group who doesn't eat chocolate or biscuits or crisps as she can't trust herself to stop. So she uses them for extra cheese, and cooks with olive oil, or has some ryvita or a couple of slices of toast with marmite on them.

Ditto what Kingleds said-I used to use them on junk but have also now started to include them in my meals or have the full fat versions of things like Mayo etc x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

yeah - my syns used to be ketchup or salad cream or mint sauce thats how I only had around 2 day, but don't worry, not going to be eating curly wurlys and quavers every day! Will have extra bread, or some cheese as you say - or the alpen light bars, or have weetabix as syns for breakfast rather than hex (which I currently do) Thanks girls! xx

Back