Taking my teenager to SW???

hexe

My 14 year old DD is not overweight, however, she makes unhealthy snack choices. Now she said she would like to join me at SW and I had a look at Free2Go. Our GP has given her thumbs up, as the priority is on making healthy food choices, not weightloss.
Is anybody here taking their teenagers to SW? What do you think about Free2Go?
Thanks, Jill x

If your daughter wants to go and your doctor says yes then why not. Don't put any pressure on her and just see what happens

Irene xx

I definitely let her give it a go. She was the one who voiced that she would be interested. I'll see what happens, though her ideas are often rather short-lived ;)

I would say that you should take your daughter along is the GP has said yes and she wants to go. We have 2 children members in class who do the Free2Go. Our C always says that they are here to make healthier choices rather than loose weight. They both get a round of applause just like the rest of us in class. And i'm sure they both enjoy classes as they get a chance to talk and say what healthy choices they've made in the week :) HTH

Sum Xx

Hi,
my 13yr old son comes to sw with me and loves it:D he only has a little bit to lose but like your daughter he makes unhealthy snack choices. He asked if he could join with me i never forced him. He is starting to understand whats healthy and what isnt. He has lost 1lb so far (we have had 2 wi) and hes really pleased with that. the c and group are fab with him and like others have said its not about weight loss just healthy eating.
I would def take your daughter along im sure she will love it.

I took my niece with me last week shes 12 and wanted to learn to make better choices herself she absolutely loved it and my cs was so supportive xx

I will defo take her on Tuesday. Got to make the most of her motivation :)

I just wish the consultants would aim to keep these children at the same weight rather than loosing and the emphasis should be STS whilst they are still growing in height (unless they are seriously overweight) We had one girl in our class and the consultant was working on adult BMI chart for her aim of her weight loss. When I plotted her on an adolscent chart she was very underweight but still getting praised for her weight loss (big risk of having unrealistic expectancies on weight in adult life )Children's BMI charts are vastly different with a much greater range of normal and use totally different equations. I use them all day at work together with dieticians and we never try to get children to lose weight in actual fact we don't even let the young teenagers know their weight so they don't become slaves to the scales like most of us. We always do waste measurments though. Any way that is my two penny worth lolx

Ordinarily I would agree with you Rosie but I think it would be more demoralising for a teenager to be going to a slimming group and not slimming along with everyone else. They will be eating more healthily than they ever have and will still be getting the nutrients they need for development and growth via the improved diet. The focus should be on healthy eating over weight loss but it would be silly to have them change their diet successfully and not see the difference it makes.

We have a young girl at group, she is doing amazingly well at it along with her mum, and her confidence has blossomed as she's been coming. She is proud of what she is achieving, and even makes SW adaptations to anything she makes in cookery class at school. She has gone from being a shy girl who would hardly speak to a confident young woman who will happily address the group about how her week has gone. It's been lovely to see.

Ordinarily I would agree with you Rosie but I think it would be more demoralising for a teenager to be going to a slimming group and not slimming along with everyone else. They will be eating more healthily than they ever have and will still be getting the nutrients they need for development and growth via the improved diet. The focus should be on healthy eating over weight loss but it would be silly to have them change their diet successfully and not see the difference it makes.

We have a young girl at group, she is doing amazingly well at it along with her mum, and her confidence has blossomed as she's been coming. She is proud of what she is achieving, and even makes SW adaptations to anything she makes in cookery class at school. She has gone from being a shy girl who would hardly speak to a confident young woman who will happily address the group about how her week has gone. It's been lovely to see.
Totally understand what you are saying. Everybody is different and that's what makes them individuals. I would just like a bit of caution when dealing with these teenagers especially girls who are more prone to eating disorders than boys. Weight loss cannot and should not be the answer to their happiness but sadly for some it is xx

I'm a Free2Go member :) I'm 14 as well and I really enjoy it. I think you should take your daughter and let her try it, I was a bit skeptical about the whole idea at first but now I make healthy choices ;) I more do the extra easy plan though as am needing to lose a bit of weight. Well, more than a bit :L but anyway, the book has great ideas for 'cool swaps' which are things like, for example, instead of going to mcdonalds make SW burger and chips, and the recipes are in the book. Free2Go encourages you to eat free foods but the book has nothing about syns in it, but when I joined I got the usual pack with the food optimising book.

All in all, let her try it and I can say it's really easy to do and leaves you feeling great. :D

Free2Go member :)

Also, Rosie, that is what the Free2Go plan is all about, that's EXACTLY what my consultant explained it as to me when I joined ;) if you make the cool swaps and better choices that's the aim of it but if it's the weight loss that is the aim then you just follow the normal EE plan. I do EE and have lost 1st 11lb but other free2Go members are just doing the healthy choice thing in my group ;)

Free2Go member :)

Go for it! Good luck to you both :) x

Back