Tarrah a bit, bab and other local sayings

We have the bread debate in our house a lot, and there's only two of us!

"Can you get me a crusty cob?"
"A crusty what?!?!"

He insists on saying cob, and I say roll or bap. To me a bun is a cake, like a little muffin.

Isn't it funny lol. To me a crusty cob is a crusty loaf of bread, not a bun/roll/bap.

A cake is a cake lol.

Love hearing peoples different phrases/sayings :) xx

I have always used the word 'mardy' and on holiday people were always confused as to what i meant, now i suppose Arctic Monkeys have made it more common?
Does anyone use it?

Mardy and mythering are both words words I'd not heard until I was about 25. However, I commonly use mard ar$e now.

I use mardy all the time, especially mardy ar*e!

Round these parts the term of endearment is "darl" I hate it!

Also mind your neb or keep your neb out (don't be nosey)

Spoggy is chewing gum

We also refer to people as "our" so "our john" "our dave" "our fred" - looks odd written down!!

Thing is my Mum is Irish and we all get accused of being posh (I'm not no way!) even my son accuses me of being posh because I like to use all the words I know, not just a few.

On pronunciation my SIL once told me that the night before she'd been drink 'Pow Wow'
Thinking I'd misheard her as I'm deaf I asked her to repeat it three times!
In the end I asked her to spell it...
P. A. L. E A. L. E!!!!! oh says I you mean 'Payle Ayle' (excuse phonetics), 'Thass wot I sed innit?'

Anyway a crusty roll is a roll, a soft roll is a bap! But boobs are baps too!!!
I also use Mardy, Bairn, Love (can't help it).

Fab thread!

I'm a scouse lass, grew up in Leicester and now love in Yorkshire!

An alleyway is a ginnel and a brook is a beck???

I'm a scouser at heart too & I remember when I was a kid an alleyway was always 'the entry'

We don't have any down here, Although I did ask my mate why all her family have the same first initial. She looked a bit perplexed until I told her she was always saying "R Bob/R Lyn/R John"

We have Breakfast lunch and Dinner/Tea, in that order.

I do wonder 'Why is the living room called the 'front' room no matter where it is in the house?

Ringing so many bells from my 'Pool' childhood - everyone in my family is R Jean, R Helen etc - it's Breakfast, Dinner & Tea and even though it was in the front of the house, we were the same as everyone else and had a 'back kitchen'!

Isn't it funny lol. To me a crusty cob is a crusty loaf of bread, not a bun/roll/bap.

A cake is a cake lol.

Love hearing peoples different phrases/sayings :) xx
Until it becomes a stottie cake eh Stevie? - or as my nana would have said, a "Stottie Cyek"

it's not easy being brought up in Geordieland (the all-encomapassing term for the northeast of England between Berwick and The Tees!)

My ma use to "Gan her ends" when I came home "aal clarty"

(Mother would go ballistic when I returned home with mud on my shoes).;)

Extreme hunger would often here the expression "Eeh I cud eat a scabby horse 'atween two mattresses" ..... (I'm not even sure that sandwich is even legal:eek:)

"Hoying fish doon the netty" was the final watery grave of any funfair goldfish after death. (Flushed down the toilet for those of you south of Darlington)

"Wor lass" = wife/girlfriend

And after being away from God's Country, there's nowt better than "Gannin' Hyem" (Going home).

The verb to dunsh (bump into) the noun gadgie (old man) a gansey (jumper) combined with the aforementioned clarts (mud) giving the immortal, "Divvent dunsh into that gadgie man, y'll gt clarts all ower his gansey"

Haway the lads! (the battlecry of the northeast)

No wonder I was once asked (In a Swindon pub) if my mate and I were from Greece! lol.

I blame Jimmy Nail;)

Some fabulous colloqualisms on here. Reading the above is a real education !

Its interesting how many people find them really grating to hear,even though they are used regularly......except perhaps Maximus who has an endearing attachment to local common parlance !

Maximus said:
Until it becomes a stottie cake eh Stevie? - or as my nana would have said, a "Stottie Cyek"

it's not easy being brought up in Geordieland (the all-encomapassing term for the northeast of England between Berwick and The Tees!)

My ma use to "Gan her ends" when I came home "aal clarty"

(Mother would go ballistic when I returned home with mud on my shoes).;)

Extreme hunger would often here the expression "Eeh I cud eat a scabby horse 'atween two mattresses" ..... (I'm not even sure that sandwich is even legal:eek:)

"Hoying fish doon the netty" was the final watery grave of any funfair goldfish after death. (Flushed down the toilet for those of you south of Darlington)

"Wor lass" = wife/girlfriend

And after being away from God's Country, there's nowt better than "Gannin' Hyem" (Going home).

The verb to dunsh (bump into) the noun gadgie (old man) a gansey (jumper) combined with the aforementioned clarts (mud) giving the immortal, "Divvent dunsh into that gadgie man, y'll gt clarts all ower his gansey"

Haway the lads! (the battlecry of the northeast)

No wonder I was once asked (In a Swindon pub) if my mate and I were from Greece! lol.

I blame Jimmy Nail;)

Love the Geordie accent cannae always understand it mind!

I've heard that up there you lot call the Wii the 'why aye' lol

Funny thing is, people from the northeast never say "why aye man" until you mention exactly that! Guaranteed the answer to a question in the next 5 minutes will be exactly that!

My favourite expression was "me nana" when she bragged to her friends and neighbours how bright I was at school. "Eeh our Stephen's got mair in ees heid than the comb'll bring oot!"

Translated as he has more in his head than shows on the "nit" comb!! - aha nits! I bet you're all scratching now lol.

Any of you ever get a good jarping? Scudding?or even brayed?

Skelpt lug? - all wonderful terms for a good hiding!

I was once threatened with "a good jarping from a*sehole to breakfast time!!". - just cos I left the pigeon Cree open!! (pigeon racing being second only to footy and whippets back in the day).

Oh I love this thread! I'm from Essex and himself is a yorkshire lad. We have had an argument about 'teacakes' for a decade now and it still rages on....

A teacake is a hot cross bun without the cross, not a bread roll as he insists. Neither of us will give in on this one! The Asda in huddersfield was the scene of him grabbing a pack of rolls with 'teacakes' written on it and literally shoving it in my face. This was returned when we got back home and in m&s I thrust a pack of fruit buns with 'teacakes' written on it in his face...

Mythering is something he says. Not sure how to spell it. Myther, mither? Anyway not heard it until I met him.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Oh and the geordie accent is my favourite. A friend is a Newcastle lad but such a disappointment as he's a posh geordie. Too well spoken. His accent does nothing for me. What's the point of having a male friend who you can't lust over?!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Maximus said:
Funny thing is, people from the northeast never say "why aye man" until you mention exactly that! Guaranteed the answer to a question in the next 5 minutes will be exactly that!

My favourite expression was "me nana" when she bragged to her friends and neighbours how bright I was at school. "Eeh our Stephen's got mair in ees heid than the comb'll bring oot!"

Translated as he has more in his head than shows on the "nit" comb!! - aha nits! I bet you're all scratching now lol.

Any of you ever get a good jarping? Scudding?or even brayed?

Skelpt lug? - all wonderful terms for a good hiding!

I was once threatened with "a good jarping from a*sehole to breakfast time!!". - just cos I left the pigeon Cree open!! (pigeon racing being second only to footy and whippets back in the day).

It was a Sunderland lass that told me that 'joke' Steve! So don't get loopy with me Sonny Jim!!! Lol

My Irish ma just made stuff up all the time, bloody nutcase she is!
If you said your leg hurt she' cone out with "I'll leg you in a minute".... what????
My Irish Aunt Kathleen calls all females 'girl'
"ah away girl what do you be wanting to wear that for?"
My mum says listen at least ten times in every phone conversation.... What the hell else would I be doing with a phone to my ear?

My dad is South African and apart from putting salt on his apples and pronouncing Milk as Mulk! I haven't heard or cannot remember anything else!

If you said your leg hurt she' cone out with "I'll leg you in a minute".... what????
My mum says listen at least ten times in every phone conversation.... What the hell else would I be doing with a phone to my ear?

Ahhh, they were both favourites of my Scottish nana too.

"I can't find the remote"
"I'll remote you in a minute"

Tinytootz said:
Ahhh, they were both favourites of my Scottish nana too.

"I can't find the remote"
"I'll remote you in a minute"

Worst thing is Tootz...... My kids take the Mick because I do it too!!!!! The shame!

Well being from cornwall, we have some very strange sayings so I'm told. 'Teddys' are potatoes and we call swedes turnips, and turnips are still called turnips too.so 'turnip and teddy pie' is potato and swede pie!

Princess_Stevie said:
When my best friend and I were on holiday, a lot of the people we met thought it was funny how we said 'lush', 'mint' or 'class' for things they would describe as 'good' - or 'sound', as the were Liverpudlian.

In Darlington, where I went to college, a lot of people say 'moying on' for what would be described as kissing, or as we say, 'necking on' with someone. I hate that saying, it makes me shudder at the thought of it.

'Lifting' is a word we tend to use a lot too, meaning awful or disgusting. A lot of people are baffled when they hear this lol.

Isn't it funny how we all have our little sayings :) xx

that must be a small minority of liverpudlians or should i say scouse who didnt know what lush, mint or class meant :p as i live 30 mins away and thats common slang in the pool and its radius of it lol!

lawn-mowered aka trollied aka phil mitchelled aka drunk! is another around my neck of the woods...

Back