Tarrah a bit, bab and other local sayings

that must be a small minority of liverpudlians or should i say scouse who didnt know what lush, mint or class meant :p as i live 30 mins away and thats common slang in the pool and its radius of it lol!

lawn-mowered aka trollied aka phil mitchelled aka drunk! is another around my neck of the woods...

In nearby Sunderland, being drunk is "Chemist" (presumably a sort of rhyme and slang"

Meanwhile, something lush, or sound is said to be topper - turnip, or swedes were known as "narkies".

As to the person who said they knew a posh geordie? - my uncle Jim defined posh locals as people who got out of the bath for a wee:eek: - mind you, he also warned me that reading anything but comics made you go blind lol.

These little phrases and dialects, accents are what make such a tiny island as Britain, Great:cool:

So haway lads and lasses, any mair?

Because I am not far from Birmingham they use 'bab' as a term of enderment, which I hate. Also call a roll a batch, my partener argues and calls it a cob, lol

I call bread rolls, cobs too :) you can imagine the confusion I caused when I first moved to sunny Cornwall going to the bakeries and asking for a cheese cob.

They have some strange sayings down here too like Ideal which means wicked or perfect.
Then there's me ansome or me loverrrrr.
And cheers now when they are saying bye lol.
Potatoes are teddies ooh and woodlice are chucky pigs :)

It is lol!!! But it's also a bread roll, a male swan, and a stretch of land across an estuary with a railway track on!! Amongst other things ;)

and ... a mixture of clay, sand, straw and water used to build 'eco' buildings and ovens!

I call bread rolls, cobs too :) you can imagine the confusion I caused when I first moved to sunny Cornwall going to the bakeries and asking for a cheese cob.

They have some strange sayings down here too like Ideal which means wicked or perfect.
Then there's me ansome or me loverrrrr.
And cheers now when they are saying bye lol.
Potatoes are teddies ooh and woodlice are chucky pigs :)

I say ideal! Have no idea where I picked it up from but I'm from the North East, no where near Cornwall lol! xx

I moved over to New Zealand three years ago, and it is like I talk a foreign language at times, but I must say the slanf they use over here is very Americanised, which pees me off. They call each other bro and cuzzy, and everybody is Aunty, even when they aren't related! argh

If someone from Cornwall says dreckly - they mean later, sometime - whenever.

Pasties are sometimes called tiddy oggies.

Almost forgot - lunch is occasionally referred to as crowse.

Could be - I had an aunt used to make what she called a pasty pie (basically pasty ingredients in a 'proper pie')

Being a brummie we have loads of different words - haha!

We add 'Basically' and 'what it is, is' to most sentances.

'At the end of the day'

'I turned round and said'

'Going up the gulley' is to walk up a narrow road (entry/passage/gulley!)

To Gambole is to do a forward roll.

A road 'roundabout' is refered to as an 'Island' in the Midlands. hahaha! no water involved (unless poor drainage!)

I will have a think of other ones.

They call roundabouts islands in some parts of lincs too, and a roundabout is also known as a circle???

A passage way is an alley, a ginnell, a snicket, an 8 ft or a 10ft!!

Back