Tasty Navarin(ragout) of Lamb

ellenwillbeskinny

I need chocolate now!!!
Navarin is a french term for a slowly cooked lamb or mutton dish. This recipe isn't very 'french' but is delicious as the sauce becomes very thick and tomatoey and the lamb becomes really tender. This is an ideal dish to cook the night before and reheat the next day as this would give the flavours extra time to develop.

Serves 4

450g lean lamb (I used stewing lamb and trimmed off all the visible fat)
2 red onions cut into wedges
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 tbsps plain flour
4 tbsps tomato puree
600ml hot stock (I used 4 tsps of vegetable stock)
I heaped tsp dried thyme (or use fresh)
3 large carrots, sliced
100g frozen peas, defrosted with hot water
freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley to garnish

Heat a large pot (like a stock pot) and dry fry the onions until brown. Add the garlic and lamb and cook until meat is sealed.

Add the flour and cook out for about I minute before gradually adding in the tomato puree, stock and thyme. Add in the carrots and cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the lamb is tender.

Five minutes before serving add the peas.

Season to taste with plenty of freshly ground black pepper, garnish with parsley and serve.

I had mine with rice and green veg but you could have it with potatoes or whatever you fancy.

I worked this out as 8 pro points per serving but calculate it again depending on the weight of meat used. I couldn't find the pp value for stewing lamb so I pointed it as the same for minced lamb as I think it is the same cut of meat used for both. 115g minced lamb is 6pps.

Enjoy:p

Thanks.
Will be having this when the weather cools down a little. Lamb is my favourite

Back