tea/coffee/water

louisedan

Gold Member
I was told today that you can't count the water in beverages like coffee towards your water intake every day and that I should drink 2 litres of water as well. I've always thought you counted it and it would help towards weight loss. Am I wrong?​

I would personally count it, but you should make sure that you drink some plain water as well. You shouldn't drink too much; it can cause all kinds of problems as it dilutes the sodium in your blood.

I make sure I have enough but it does include both water and beverages.I can't see why it wouldn't be included.

No its a common misconception. The recommended amount of FLUID intake for SW/WW etc is 1.5/2l a day whether thats tea, coffee, diet juice or water.

Who told you that it is only water? This advice doesn't make sense, seeing as water makes up most of tea and coffee.

I love tea and have low-cal squash. I'm not the biggest fan of plain water, so I would be screwed if this advice was true.

Thanks for clearing it up Starlight!

The problem with coffee, or strong tea and cola drinks for that matter, is that it is a diuretic and basically make you go to the loo more often, so you pass more fluid instead of the body getting the benefit. Also it can reduce the amount of iron your body absorbs from food and that can be a problem, particularly for pregnant women or if you are anaemic. So you should make sure that you drink pleny of non-caffeinated drinks during the day in addition to the coffee.

caffine drinks make you more deyhdrated which then in turn makes you drink more! Whereas water deyhdrates you and has minerals in it. When I went to give blood I was not allowed as my iron levels were low - after eating they recommend don't drink caffine ofr 1 hour as it can reduce up to 50% of your iron intake!

Back