Terry Pratchett's 'Making Money'

BlackRose

Gold Member
ANybody else just finding his book an absolute delight to read?

Hi

My hubby says 'Yes, it's awesome', though despite being married to The most avid Pratchett fan and going along to signings and fan events I've never really got into any of his books myself!

Enjoy

I like his stuff too.

I heard on the news recently that he has been diagnosed with early onset Altzimers (sp.) disease. What a shocker.

AJ

I like his stuff too.

I heard on the news recently that he has been diagnosed with early onset Altzimers (sp.) disease. What a shocker.

AJ

Yes, I read about that :( It's a rare form. He's only 59 :(

Thats so sad isn't it? A man with such an amazing imagination and quirky mind - that he should be struck with such disease is quite tragic is it not?

:cry:

I like his stuff too.

AJ

Thats what my mother in law has. Hopefully it'll raise awareness of it as she's only 57 and has had it for 8-10 years. It's such a scary disease but we're doing our bit for her like getting married young and having babies soon so that she'll meet them.

As for the book, it was the first one that i uttely HATED. I'm not fussed on "the watch" books, much prefering the death ones, or the rincewind ones.

FYI, that machine that they built under the bank - there's one in the science museum in london!

Thats so sad isn't it? A man with such an amazing imagination and quirky mind - that he should be struck with such disease is quite tragic is it not?

:cry:

Surely it's tragic for anyone? Quirky mind or not.

Sorry, just seriously hit a nerve.

It quite often isnt genetic.
My MIL hs it, but both her great aunts had old age alzheimers. You can get tested for the protein markers but my OH doesnt want to, and i dont want him to.

What a claim to fame linda!

Surely it's tragic for anyone? Quirky mind or not.

Sorry, just seriously hit a nerve.

Fair enough - I wasn't saying that it wasn't tragic for anyone else - its one of my biggest fears. I just thought it a sad irony that someone known for his 'quirky mind' should be struck with a mental disease. With absolutely no disrespect to anyone else unfortunate to be diagnosed. I'm sorry for your MIL - its lovely that you married and had kids younger so she could enjoy them and vice versa. I wish you all the best. oxoxo

Not a nice thing for anyone to have be it early onset or not. The one blessing is that when people get far advanced they don't usually realise whats going on around them. Good for them, but not the families.

I love his books, and have read 99% of them I think. Favourite ones being the rincewind ones, but love witches abroad too!

I haven't read an awful lot of his - in fact I own more than I've read and can't wait to have time to get stuck in (English degree -I hardly get to choose what I read nowadays) I tend to buy them as I spot them in 2nd hand shops hehe - I prefer the Death ones so far and Carpe Jugulum is probably my favourite of all. Bloody brilliant!

I really liked Making Money and also the other similar ones Truth and Going Postal. I think they are good ones for people new to Discworld and not sure about starting at the beginning. Saying that I just bought my 15-year-old cousin The Colour of Magic to see if I can get him hooked.

Ooh! The good thing about that is now with the sky one adaptation he can watch it if he gets a bit bogged down by it and wants to cheat! lol

I own all the Pratchett books :D even the ones like nanny oggs cookbook :p I think my favourite one is night watch, but thats mainly cos I love the sam vimes character. the witches are next in line then the childrens ones like the wee free men and hat full of sky. I enjoyed going postal but I found Making money to be almost the same story but with different mini characters.

anyone who likes the discworld books should check out Douglas Adams if they havent already. I'v been re-reading the hitch-hikers books since I was about ten! Love them to bits

I almost broke into tears when I heard mr. pratchet has Alzheimers. It's so awful :(

Back