The 1/3 rule

KashB87

I've only been on the forum a few minutes but I keep seeing this come up and I'm a bit taken back by it. How can eating 1/3 fruit and veg make more of a difference? and better yet how can not eating it damage your weight loss?
Surely as long as you eat sensible portions you should be ok. For example, if someone decided to have spag bol as it is, and didnt have 1/3 veg with it, surely that wouldnt be a problem?

Just a little confused that the 1/3 is apparently so crucial.

By eating a 1/3 of super free foods you will be filling yourself up on speed foods which will boost your weight loss. Although pasta is great for filling yourself up it won't speed up your weight loss

If you fill a third of your plate with superfree, which is low in cals, you'll be eating fewer calories overall than if you fill your whole plate with free foods, which are generally higher in calories. It's a way of reducing portion sizes.

As the above said --- plus, if we could all control our portion sizes, quite frankly, we probably wouldn't be at SW trying to lose weight.

so today i've had:
Breakfast: small omelette with a couple of spoons of baked beans

Lunch: cous cous made with vegetable stock and an apple

Dinner: Spag bol made with quorn, mushrooms, carrot and onion and pasta

Snacks: 2 ginger nut biscuits (5 syns), muller light and 2 ryvita with cottage cheese (healthy B)
Healthy A from skimmed milk.
I dont seem to make sure everything has 1/3 - does this mean I wont lose?

The rule doesn't apply to red or green days (although it is recommended). Looking at your diary today, you've done a green day so could have another couple of hex's. If you're doing EE you're already mixing carbs and proteins so need to restrict your intake more which is achieved by applying the 3rd super-free.

The extra easy plan has been set out how it is, so if you had had mushrooms,tomatoes with breakfast that would be fine.

If you had salad or veg with lunch it would be fine.

Tea looks ok.

If you are new to SW and don't want to be eating 1/3 super free all the time,then take a look at the red or green days. Which don't have this 1/3 rule. X

Firstly - its not a rule, its recommendation to maximise weight loss
Secondly, IF you can control your portion size without 1/3rd superfree you can still loose weight, butit may not be at a large rate. I always loose more when i eat more superfree.
Thirdly, you NEED to eat fruit & veg to get all your vitamins & minerals - thats not SW advice - just common sense nutritional advice.

Basically, if you want to maximise your weight loss, and maintain your health, try & stick to the 1/3rd superfree recommendation wherever possible - plus don't add it in addition to what you would normally eat - replace things with it. So for brekkie i will have 1 egg instead of 2, 1 bit of bacon instead of 3, and i'll have it with tomatoes & Mushrooms. Or have a spag bol with half the amount of mince & a load of superfree added.

Firstly - its not a rule, its recommendation to maximise weight loss

I've lost count of the amount of times I've said this. I'm gonna have it on a shortcut on my keyboard I reckon......:sigh:

I try to have a third superfree but I don't have it always, I also don't eat fruit afterwards as it's "extra" and I don't reduce my portions to make way for the superfree. If I'm having pasta with some veg in it, I won't have less pasta and more veg on the side - I have the portion I want but if I'm having meat, potatoes and veg I'll have tons of veg because it "goes".

I do, however, always always snack only on superfree.

ah ok so its not mandatory for every single meal.. as in some places thats how its laid down. I get what you mean jaylou, i only snack on my healthy extras tho as most days I have loads of superfrees in my meals and cant fit my hex's in so have them hat way instead.

Sometimes I think it's pointless too. If I have a jacket potato for dinner I won't force myself to have a salad with it because 1, I don't like salad and 2, I'm going to eat the whole jp anyway, with or without the darn salad! I just have fruit after to replace the extra room in my belly the salad would fill if I ate it!

Yes - it's a recommendation. No-one will force you to do it. It you're not happy with your losses doing EE without the 1/3, then you might want to add more in then. I know that EE only works for me when I'm strict on the 1/3 - sometimes 1/2 superfree making up my meals. Am getting to be a fruit & veg addict now though (never ate them much before) so I don't mind. And there's always red or green to fall back on.

Back