The Banana Debate

MancBird

Always comes back to MMs!
Hi All,

Read and heard a few bits recently about bananas possibly hindering losses on SW, I eat about 5 a week and am now thinking maybe they might be contributing to slower losses (not an excuse for when I go over on syns, on a typical 100% week I mean)... anyone heard anything similar / know anything similar about this one?!

I know people on WW at my work are banging on about how 1 banana = 5 satsumas on their plan, whats the official line on SW? Are we supposed to eat a certain amount of them or less?!

It may just be one of those Urban Slimming Legends, but thought I'd put it out there...

(Sorry haven't got the books to hand at work to check up on the guidelines, and sorry if its been discussed before!).

Cheers,

MB (Many Bananas)

Last edited:
No guidelines.
It's an urban myth in my opinion!
Yes, one large banana (100 cals) does equal 5 satsumas (100 cals) but then one banana fills you up more!
The only difference is that bananas are not superspeed or speed foods whereas satsumas are a speed. But then if you eat 5 satsumas you may as well have a banana!!

The only way to truly test if bananas are to be blamed is to eat exactly what you at the week before but substitute bananas for another fruit and see if there's a difference.

I love bananas :)

No guidelines.
It's an urban myth in my opinion!
Yes, one large banana (100 cals) does equal 5 satsumas (100 cals) but then one banana fills you up more!
The only difference is that bananas are not superspeed or speed foods whereas satsumas are a speed. But then if you eat 5 satsumas you may as well have a banana!!

The only way to truly test if bananas are to be blamed is to eat exactly what you at the week before but substitute bananas for another fruit and see if there's a difference.

I love bananas :)

Cheers Jaylou, I think it probably is a bit of a myth but I may just try cutting down on them / substituting anyhow, sometimes a few changes from my routine can kick me into gear again!

I love them too!!! :)

I agree with Jaylou! I think that all too often bananas become a scapegoat if someone's not lost as much weight as they'd like - instead of looking honestly at whether you've (general "you"!) been measuring/weighing syns/WW points etc. or forgetting to put that afternoon nibble on your food diary, it's easier to say "oh, I heard that bananas slow down weight loss, it must be that".

Of course, I suspect that if someone was eating five of them every day, their weight-loss would slow... but then better five bananas than five chocolate bars!

(I love bananas! I usually eat one most days too :) )

Yes have heard people saying about bananas but I have never found they affect my loses personally :)

They have lots of goodness in them too, esp potassium. When my nephew was ill and struggling to get over a chest infection the doctor told my sister to keep giving him bananas to help fight it off.

They're only likely to slow your losses if you eat loads of them. There was a woman at our group who was eating about 4-5 a day, but calorie wise if you ate that much of anything as snacks, then it would slow your losses!

I don't eat too many bananas 'cos they "bung me up" (IYKWIM). I also had problems with my potassium levels a couple of years ago and my GP advised me not to eat bananas every day, max 3-4 a week, so I still keep to that but it's nothing to do with weight loss or not!

Denise

I don't eat too many bananas 'cos they "bung me up" (IYKWIM). I also had problems with my potassium levels a couple of years ago and my GP advised me not to eat bananas every day, max 3-4 a week, so I still keep to that but it's nothing to do with weight loss or not!

Denise

Ah, this is interesting, I've been having that problem for a couple of weeks now, and ruled out too much pasta last week by not having it this week...!!

Maybe if I cut the nanas back a bit it might get things moving!

That's very useful thanks, didn't think it could be a banana related issue lol but you never know!! xxxxxxxxx

I'm not a huge fan of bananas but have been having one or two a day since the turn of the year, and for the first time EVER I have lost weight four WIs in a row :) I'm not saying it's purely down to that, of course, but I've definitley noticed them filling me up more than other fruit.

Interesting point on the banana and bowel effect. I may have a banana free week as i usually have one a day as they are a reasonable priced fruit (IMO) compared to say Melon or Berries.

I am going to be banana free and see how that helps/hinders.

x

I don't notice that bananas bung me up... but then I've been having mine chopped over a bowl of All-Bran, so I suspect they cancel each other out :D

Bananas are my fave fruit but a lot of people do say they hinder weight loss so I went off them for a bit... Made no difference! Although, I have been known to peel a banana and then remember I've already had one that morning and so get all conscious about it incase I don't lose weight that week... not like one banana weighs 3lbs though is it?! Dumb, ey? :eek:

He he I do that too, I try not to have pasta in the 2 days before WI cos I convince myself that if I'm bunged up I won't be able to get rid of it before I get on the scales...!

Utterly ridiculous! I do all of these things when I've had a slip of course, when I know i've had a 100% week I don't panic about WI at all... the lies we tell ourselves lol!

I am going banana free as well this week EB, well why not, it can't harm! xxxxx

He he I do that too, I try not to have pasta in the 2 days before WI cos I convince myself that if I'm bunged up I won't be able to get rid of it before I get on the scales...!

Utterly ridiculous! I do all of these things when I've had a slip of course, when I know i've had a 100% week I don't panic about WI at all... the lies we tell ourselves lol!

I am going banana free as well this week EB, well why not, it can't harm! xxxxx

24 hours before WI, I start to get dressed if I don't do a number two... If I don't do one, I feel like I can't eat anything because it'll add to my weight and I won't be able to get it out in time :eek: and if I do do one (doo-doo, haha... Chandler moment) then I feel like I can't eat anything because it'll add to my weight and it'll be the exact weight that I've lost so I'll STS! Talk about over-thinking things...

Guys lemme know how banana-free week goes, I'll have to give it a try next week :) xxx

10st10lbs said:
24 hours before WI, I start to get dressed if I don't do a number two...

I hope you also get dressed if you do a number 2!!!!

I eat them & have never had a problem - my youngest daughter is limited to no more than 1 a day (although she would eat them all day everyday :) ) but i limit her because they do bung her up without a doubt :(

Until SW tell me I cant eat a certain number, then Im gonna eat them. Im doing this plan by the book and in the book they are a superfree food, and thats that. :)

Back