The difference between wanting to lose weight and needing to lose weight.

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by blue_grapefruit, 15 July 2008 Social URL.

1. blue_grapefruit

blue_grapefruit Gold Member

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, do you think that wanting to lose weight and needing to lose weight leads to two different mindsets when it comes to dieting?

All opinions welcome :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. 30FlirtyGirl

30FlirtyGirl Call me Nicky xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    absolutely. I have needed to lose weight for eight years however only recently have I wanted to lose weight, Now I am in the mindset the task of losing weight seems so much easier. xx

4. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(30.4%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    Yes definately. If you really want something then you will go out of your way to get it but if you need to do something or you have been told you have to do something then there is always that little bit of rebellion that kicks in and pulls against you. Sometimes the need can lead to want though and become the same thing!

Does that make sense?

5. sazzy34

sazzy34 Gold Member

Diet:
    cambridge diet / weight watchers
    I have always wanted to lose weight to for vanity reasons , wearing smaller clothes, shorts, vest tops etc. I never succeeded in losing more than a couple of stone.
    But when I saw how unhealthy I was and how high my bmi worked out to be, it suddenly seemed more important and only when I looked at it from a health perspective I was able to stick with it.

6. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Yep. There's also a huge difference between wanting to lose weight, and being determined to lose weight.

Wanting something isn't always quite enough

7. blue_grapefruit

I'm asking because im going to a very big job interview on thursday and know that i stand a better chance of getting the job at a lower BMI. It's gutting to know this, cos i have wanted to lose weight for a long time and if i had stuck to it then i'd definately get this job (it's about brains and appearance unfortunately).

Now i NEED to lose weight, but i almost feel like i cant be bothered!!! Shocking really xxx

8. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(30.4%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    What is the job you are going for? Surely they can't discriminate against you because of your size?

9. blue_grapefruit

No they won't openly, but it's for a scientific sales position so it involves a lot of public speaking, and presentations...All those eyes on you. The current sales team (3 people covering uk, i will be the 4th hopefully) are stunning

10. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(30.4%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    Oh dear. Plastic people?

11. blue_grapefruit

Sadly not, they are clever too. They all have good science degrees and a lot of work experience - it's a condition of the job. Boo!

12. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(30.4%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    That really sucks. How far off are you from having 'the right look'?

13. blue_grapefruit

Lol, far! they're like 5ft 10, im 5ft 1! lol! Still, made it to the final 3 from 40, just gotta kick ass right?

14. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st10lb(27.08%)
    If you're in the final three, they're seriously considering you. I wouldn't worry about your size, if you're feeling insecure on the day it won't help, but it sounds to me like you've got a very good shot at the job.

In response to your question, I started my diet 'wanting' to lose weight, but in denial about 'needing' to. I plucked up the courage to weigh myself after two weeks, and was horrified to discover I was considered obese. But I think it was a good thing for me, because 'needing' to, has put me in a much more committed frame of mind.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.