The difference between wanting to lose weight and needing to lose weight.

blue_grapefruit

Gold Member
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, do you think that wanting to lose weight and needing to lose weight leads to two different mindsets when it comes to dieting?

All opinions welcome :)

absolutely. I have needed to lose weight for eight years however only recently have I wanted to lose weight, Now I am in the mindset the task of losing weight seems so much easier. xx

Yes definately. If you really want something then you will go out of your way to get it but if you need to do something or you have been told you have to do something then there is always that little bit of rebellion that kicks in and pulls against you. Sometimes the need can lead to want though and become the same thing!

Does that make sense?

I have always wanted to lose weight to for vanity reasons , wearing smaller clothes, shorts, vest tops etc. I never succeeded in losing more than a couple of stone.
But when I saw how unhealthy I was and how high my bmi worked out to be, it suddenly seemed more important and only when I looked at it from a health perspective I was able to stick with it.

Yep. There's also a huge difference between wanting to lose weight, and being determined to lose weight.

Wanting something isn't always quite enough

I'm asking because im going to a very big job interview on thursday and know that i stand a better chance of getting the job at a lower BMI. It's gutting to know this, cos i have wanted to lose weight for a long time and if i had stuck to it then i'd definately get this job (it's about brains and appearance unfortunately).

Now i NEED to lose weight, but i almost feel like i cant be bothered!!! Shocking really xxx

What is the job you are going for? Surely they can't discriminate against you because of your size?

No they won't openly, but it's for a scientific sales position so it involves a lot of public speaking, and presentations...All those eyes on you. The current sales team (3 people covering uk, i will be the 4th hopefully) are stunning

Sadly not, they are clever too. They all have good science degrees and a lot of work experience - it's a condition of the job. Boo!

Lol, far! they're like 5ft 10, im 5ft 1! lol! Still, made it to the final 3 from 40, just gotta kick ass right?

If you're in the final three, they're seriously considering you. I wouldn't worry about your size, if you're feeling insecure on the day it won't help, but it sounds to me like you've got a very good shot at the job.

In response to your question, I started my diet 'wanting' to lose weight, but in denial about 'needing' to. I plucked up the courage to weigh myself after two weeks, and was horrified to discover I was considered obese. But I think it was a good thing for me, because 'needing' to, has put me in a much more committed frame of mind.

Back