The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Dieter

Well done Sugar :D Excellent result! You're well on your way now girl :) xx

Exercise..Shmexercise?

Ok, it's Wednesday. And it's gorgeous outside. And I'm feeling immense guilt about my exercise regime (or rather the lack thereof..)

When I started my diet 2 and a half weeks ago I made a deal with myself that I'd spend a couple of weeks getting to grips with my new eating routine and then start to make a start on an exercise regime.

But now I'm well into my 3rd week and I haven't done anything...so it's time to change that..I've bene looking at the couch to 5k routine and it looks surprisingly unscary and definitely do-able. And I've got my wii fit aswell - I really enjoy the boxing and the stepping.
What I am looking to do long term is swim; I'm a really good swimmer and I really enjoy it but despite all that I'm still nervous. I don't know why - it just seems a bit daunting. But I'm going to buy a new cossie this weekend and then I think I'll be off for a splash around.

I know exercise is important for health, but I'm mostly looking forward to the mood benefits; I'd love to know what everyone else does to keep fit, and especially from people who, like me, get home from work and just don't want to do anything!! Need motivation!!

Hope everyone is loving the warm weather, hopefully we'll be able to keep hold of it till the weekend!!

xxx

It's the middle of week 4...I'm tired, stressed, hormonal and sooooooooooo busy. But so so so so glad it's Friday tomorrow!!

Crappy week at work..but I haven't given in yet, so hopefully I can hang on for one more day....:)

xxx

Hang in there sugarblomme :) Forget about crappy time at work, look forward to next week instead, did you treat yourself to that new cossie yet?

Have a good day and a lovely weekend :D

Stay strong!

I'm back..I've been away and have had quite a difficult month or so but never mind all of that cos I'm back again to bore you all silly :)

I haven't lost any since I was last here, but I haven't put anything on either so I'm sort of just picking up where I left off. I was so grateful for the messages while I wasn't around; they really helped but I am so glad to be back as I missed the minmins support so much!! Work stress is only likely to get worse in the coming months so I'm going to be here moaning and rambling a lot, but if it stops me reaching for the biscuits then it has to be done.

I'm starting couch 2 5k this week too so that should be interesting :-s as I have a very stupid run!

Thankyou again for being lovely! :)

aims xx

Last edited:
Hello everyone :)

Ok so I'm starting my exercise tomorrow :-s and It's my weigh in day too but I'm wondering whether not to weigh and just go by how my clothes fit and how I feel for a while..? I don't know what everyone thinks - maybe the numbers really do help?

Either way I'm hoping I'm going to feel healthier soon cos my problem over the last few weeks is that I've been eating not very much, not very regularly and all the wrong things and you I can really feel the difference it makes.

I'll stop rambling now! Hope everyone's having a lovely Sunday :)

xxxxx

I'm struggling.

I was doing really well up to April but then work stress exploded, and I slipped and just used my birthday and the bank holidays as excuses..and now all of a sudden it's June and I feel like a huge failure.

I have tried on and off the last few weeks but I know my head isn't in the right place. I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor to talk it all through with someone - I hope they can help me but it's nerve wracking because I'm worried they're just going to go at me because of my weight - my obesity (I hate that word) - or my being a 'doughnut monster' as the Daily Mail calls us.
I very rarely go to the doctors but on the occasions I do I feel like 'the fat girl in the news' - you know the one who is a burden on the country's resources - who eats nothing but cake and has no quality of life.

The frustrating thing is that is the opposite of me - I am self sufficient, I work full time, I have lovely friends and family, a fantastic OH and I do, and have always, paid tax and NI and I eat well - really well; I grow my own veggies, get boxes from Abel and Cole and bake my own bread. But it doesn't matter because I'm fat and that's all there is to me. I wish I felt like that in my heart because it might make me more motivated to get thin, but - and I feel ashamed to say this - I don't mind myself. I don't see myself as fat, I mean when I look in the mirror I can see that I am - it's a fact but I don't feel it; I don't dislike myself.

Basically I have issues with food, big ones - and I haven't even begun to get the bottom of them. I suspect until I do I'll always have a skewed relationship with food.

I want to do this properly; I don't want to come out the other end with disordered eating or to put all the weight back on because my issues aren't resolved. I've been thinking about a VLCD but I think it's just panic thinking; I had been doing so well on calorie counting and portion control...I think I just need to chill.

I just feel a bit lost, and a bit stressed. And all I want is a bar of chocolate. I am rubbish!! :break_diet:

I'm struggling.

I was doing really well up to April but then work stress exploded, and I slipped and just used my birthday and the bank holidays as excuses..and now all of a sudden it's June and I feel like a huge failure.

Your not a failure...you have actually took time off....you have a life time ahead of you and to get to our goals we all have to balance are expectations. Its not an over night change and with that in mind we are all going to stray and we will all come back ;), some take longer than others but eventually it will happen. the more you worry the more you wont see the way to walk. Say to your self..."today i am going to worry about it and then thats it" dont let worry become your preocupation it won't leave enough room in your subconciouse for you to pick up your healthier choice living option.

I have tried on and off the last few weeks but I know my head isn't in the right place. I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor to talk it all through with someone - I hope they can help me but it's nerve wracking because I'm worried they're just going to go at me because of my weight - my obesity (I hate that word) - or my being a 'doughnut monster' as the Daily Mail calls us.

No doughnut monsters on this site hun, just a large boat with alot of people making great efforts and steps to reach the horizon x

I very rarely go to the doctors but on the occasions I do I feel like 'the fat girl in the news' - you know the one who is a burden on the country's resources - who eats nothing but cake and has no quality of life.

As my diet improved it was the change in my mental attitude that shocked me the most, i hadnt related foods to depression as much before but now i see why i was down for so long. You can change your mind set once you get yourself going again there is a reward internaly not just externaly

The frustrating thing is that is the opposite of me - I am self sufficient, I work full time, I have lovely friends and family, a fantastic OH and I do, and have always, paid tax and NI and I eat well - really well; I grow my own veggies, get boxes from Abel and Cole and bake my own bread.

You dont have to explain yourself to anyone hun, you are who you are the fact you are actually on a website seeking friends in the same position means you want change, but seriously don't do it for anyone but you.

Anyone who would judge you certainly doesnt deserve acknowledgment of thier own existance let alone anyone elses

But it doesn't matter because I'm fat and that's all there is to me. I wish I felt like that in my heart because it might make me more motivated to get thin, but - and I feel ashamed to say this - I don't mind myself. GOOD!!!

I don't see myself as fat, I mean when I look in the mirror I can see that I am - it's a fact but I don't feel it; I don't dislike myself.
Thats more like it!;) ( i had wondered where this was going lol)

Basically I have issues with food, big ones - and I haven't even begun to get the bottom of them. I suspect until I do I'll always have a skewed relationship with food.
Relationship with food? whats that? lol

I want to do this properly; I don't want to come out the other end with disordered eating or to put all the weight back on because my issues aren't resolved. I've been thinking about a VLCD but I think it's just panic thinking; I had been doing so well on calorie counting and portion control...I think I just need to chill.

Chillaxing to the maximum is the best way to get recentred.
Find a place where you can sit and watch the world walk by, the sun shining and may be a water fall or something.
Sink into the surroundings and go find yourself ;)

I just feel a bit lost, and a bit stressed. And all I want is a bar of chocolate. I am rubbish!! :break_diet:

Your not rubbish, the choclate is lol;)
Wanting it doesnt make you rubbish;) either it makes you very normal mate.

have the choclate but pay it back.
If you have it you have to earn it ;)

stay with us hunny, you'll be fine XXXXXXX

Well said LFM :)

Sugarblomme, {{hugs}} it is so difficult to struggle with weight, and everyone on this site can truly relate to everything you said, some more than others :)

Is there anyone else you could chat to, apart from your doc? The practice nurse perhaps? I am presently attending my nurse's clinic weekly, only started 4 weeks ago. Although I am 'doing it myself' she offered to weigh me weekly too and advice and support me along the way. She is super slim, but I felt so at ease, discussing my weight and how much it has started to affect my life and health. Although, she raises the health issues, she also understands my feelings and fears.
I know what you mean about going to docs, I'm very rarely there, and in the past avoided going with non weight related matters, as i was 'scared' he would mention my weight!!!! I got a lovely new doctor, who was amazing, really understanding and NOT ONCE did he mention my weight, until one day I told him I was trying to lose 'the weight' once and for all, and he suggested that 'if I wanted to!!!!' i could arrange to weigh in weekly with the nurse. He had a lovely discussion with me, about needing your head in the right place, or it just doesn't happen etc etc, really supportive doctor with a lovely manner....sadly he has now left to work in London..boo hoo!!! but I am glad i had that chat with him, without feeling ashamed or under pressure to lose my weight NOW!
So after that ramble, my point is...please find out if you can have a chat with someone, maybe your doctor will surprise you and truly understand where you are coming from. Your head has DEFINATELY got to be in the right place to succeed, so don't put added pressure on yourself...one step and one day at a time lovey :)
Keep posting, and let us all support you and listen to you along the way!
Take care :)

Thanks LFM and Rose :)

Reading those posts this morning really gave me the bit of poitivity I needed. And you're both so right! I think I've just been over thinking it all and stressing out. I have been known to be a bit of a stress head!

Anyway I talked it all out with my OH last night (well, I mainly talked at him) but it really helped! Sometimes just saying things or writing things down really helps straightening the issues out in your mind.

I am going to go to the docs and see who I can speak to; maybe it'll be trial and error before I find the right person but I think it's a positive step to take. And the rest of this week I'm going to clear out my cupboards, and clear out my brain and get prepared for next week.

I think I've realised now that I'm bound to have off days, or off week even - and I know it's going to be hard but such is life! That's how it goes.

Nothing worth having is easy to get :)

Anyway tonight I'm getting going on my new attempts at relaxing - I'm in on my own so I'm going to go home, put some lovely music on and read all night (a major treat!)

Hope you both are having good days - and thank you again for being so lovely!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think that the hardest thing about weight-loss is being realistic about it. Yeh it'd be great to say, 'this is simple, there's no excuse, I'm just going to do this 100%', but realistically, honestly, it's not going to work out like that. We fall off the wagon, all of the time. It might just be a day, it could be a week, heck, it could be for a few months or a year, but that's ok.

I think your main problem is, is that you're looking at it as a purely weight-loss thing. You said that you actually feel ok in yourself, that's great! You eat veg, that's great too! All this is about is being healthier, reducing the risks of diabetes or heart disease and all of that other stuff that comes with having a bit of excess weight.

You can definitely do this! It might not be quick, and it might not be easy, but it'll be worth it, so really? what's the rush? as long as you get there in the end. :)

x

Ok so it’s Friday and I weighed myself for the first time since the start of April…and I’ve put on 4lbs. And with my realistic head on I’m pretty happy with that – it could have been worse. So I’m still 11lbs lighter than when I first began this journey back in March.

So some good things to be positive about J And it’s the weekend – yay!!

What I am trying to focus more on is, like Pink said below (thanks J), becoming healthier. Because even though my weight hasn’t increased in the way I’d thought (or feared) it had, I do feel a lot worse in myself just because I’ve been eating more choc and crisps and things. When I was only having an occasional treat I felt brilliant and really healthy – my sicky, bloated feelings became much less frequent, my appetite decreased, and I just felt…better. So I’m aiming to start to get that back over the next few weeks.

I am in this for the long haul, and I’m going to make the full distance – and again like Pink said (v.wise!) it really doesn’t matter how long it takes.

May as well settle down and get comfy as this may take some time…

Happy weekend everyone!! J

4lbs is nothing! That's two or three weeks work at best!
It could easily have been much worse.

You're right about the whole weight vs healthy thing. It's tempting, when you have a week of scoffing and sts, to think 'yeh, I can just do that every week', but what you said about what you eat affecting your moods is so true.

A biscuit tastes good for five minutes, an apple keeps you happy all week (if you know what I mean).

Hope you're having a fab weekend :)

SB thats still just about 1 lb a week thats a perfectly good loss, and it will stay off well too.

Being blunt here, you could get to 50 and be heavy or you could get to 50 and be lighter.

The fact it may take a while to make that difference the main thing is you would have done it.

So at some point in your life you are!! going to benefit from what you are doing, But do it to benefit "tomorrow" and it wont work.
So stretch those imagined arms out to touching distance of the you, that you would like it to be and thats your goal, XX

Heya lovely, how's it going?

Right attitude sugarblomme :)

who cares if it takes two minutes, two months or two years...feeling totally happy with yourself and feeling healthy..and looking the way YOU want to look is what to aim for long term :)

Hope you are okay, pop back on when you can :)

Hi Everyone :)

Sorry I've not been around - I've been moving house and mostly running around like a loon.

I'm back in work today so thought I'd drop in and have a mooch at how everyone's doing and have a bit of a ramble.

My doctors appointment was yesterday so I went but I was enormously nervous about it; turns out I needn't have worried because the doctor was lovely and really helpful. I'm going back in 4 weeks for my next weigh in and it's given me a good goal to aim for. I'm not going to weigh myself in between appointments as it's not that important to me - I'm more interested in how my shape changes and how I feel.
Anyway I've got a prescription for Xenical which I'm a bit scared about really but I'll give it a go; I'm going to start from the weekend so that I'm at home in case any 'side-effects' take hold...(yuk!)
When I was in the blooming chemist though the pharmacist came to speak to me at the front desk and everyone turned to stare at me when he was talking about fat absorbtion and and foul bowel movements - v. embarrassing!!

Hope everyone is going well :) I'm going to do a bit of work now and then catch up on all the diary goss!

xxxxx

Good luck with xenical Sugarbloome :) I have tried them before, they worked for me and i lost 12lb in 2 weeks, however my mind wasn't in the right place, and i gave up :eek:

I didn't have any scary toilet accidents, honestly :D If you stay within the recommended fat intake, you'll be okay! No fried foods, curries, dairy foods like cheese and eggs..or you WILL pay the price ;) I've spoken to others who suffered side effects, but that was why!!!

Choose your meals carefully, you will become 'looser' :eek: but you will get warning... but please remember,eating the above foods might not give you the same warning and the outcome could be embarassing! ;)

I'll keep my eye on you :flirt2: to see how you are doing..good luck!!!!

boo to the pharmisist discussing tabs with you publicly, but hey, maybe some of the onlookers wished they had your determination and willpower :D

Back