The Secret Diary of Picnic Pete - aged 40 1/2...

PicnicPete

Hi all!

I suppose I should start with a little history.

At 16 years old I was a skinny 10st 7lb. A bit on the scrawny side. I could eat whatever I want, whenever I liked and my weight was constant. Admittedly, I played football, badminton and ran a lot of the time. By the time I was 19 I was 11 stone, and in pretty good shape. Toned and active.

It was around this time that I got a car, so the walk to the train station to work stopped, and my job was pretty sedentary. I went to the gym occasionally and had a multi-gym at home. My weight was pretty constant until I got married at 24 weighing 11 stone 6lb. Looking back, it's here my weight problems began...

I got back from my All-Inclusive honeymoon abroad weighing 12st 9lb! I couldn't believe that I'd put on a stone and 3 pounds in 2 weeks! Admittedly, I enjoyed eating and drinking what I wanted on the honeymoon, but still. I thought, "it'll soon fall off again." But it didn't...

Driving everywhere from my new marital home (miles from my old gym, so that stopped), my activity levels were not where they should be. My wife is a good cook, and we enjoyed our food. By the time my first son was born on my 27th Birthday (my best birthday present ever!) I weighed in at 14st 4lb.

Here began my various dieting attempts (Weight-Watchers, Slimming World, Atkins, Cabbage, you name it). Over the next 13 years, my scales saw my weight top 16 stone and get down as low as 11st 12lb through yo-yo dieting. It's been a similar story for my wife, Victoria. We'll get to a point where we look at ourselves and say, "right - let's see about losing some of this," with varying degrees of success.

But this time is the last time. This time the line is drawn in the sand. We've both committed to TFR. Victoria will be 40 in August, and my 40th resolution to myself late last year was to get back to my 19 year old self (admittedly, my hair's a lot thinner, but I am more concerned with the BMI aspect of the transformation!)

So anyway...

I started LT TFR on the 2nd March 2013 weighing 15st 7lb in clothes - without, my scales said 15st 1lb. My wife and I spent a week on the induction phase of atkins to get ourselves into ketosis in preparation, as the local pharmacist was on holiday. As soon as she was back (and ordered the product) we kicked off on LT.

Day 1 - I was fine. I had to remind myself to drink lots of water. This is the worst part for me - I end up going to the toilet more often, and my job is field-based.

Day 2 - Now TFR began to hit home. I felt like I could have eaten a whole cow. With fries on the side. My stomach growled like a rabid dog all day, and was only made worse when I smelt my kids food cooking. I was like a bear with a sore head.

Day 3 - Today. I'm pleased to say that the hunger has receeded by about 90% and is easily managable. I'm still having to remind myself to drink lots of water and, contrary to other posters on this forum, I love the taste of the strawberry shakes!

It's very early days, but my wife and I are in it for the long haul this time. Our scales say I've lost 3lb since TFR, and my wife has lost 4lb. We both love the simplicity of it. There's no, "well, this should be ok to eat," as it's TOTAL food replacement. No 'ifs', 'buts', or 'maybes'.

I'll post updates periodically, but I'd like to thank all posters here for really offering tons of inspiration and guidance. This is a great site that REALLY makes a difference for people on this diet.

Good luck to any-and-everyone on it!

Pete :)

Day 4 - Getting into the swing of it now. Hunger pangs minimal, although fast getting bored of drinking so much water!

Why not try sparkling water or peppermint tea makes a refreshing change :)

Well done to you both You've thought and committed that's a brilliant start. My inspiration has been my son who is 14 He has been my absolute rock during my journey telling me all the time how proud he is of me! Keep focused. The chocolate shake is good in the pepermint & the vanillia is gr8 in coffee xxx

Thanks ladies - I'll try your sugestions... (Already on the sparkling water as of today CL73).

Peppermint tea sounds nice. Annie, what do you do, make a flask of coffee and add the powder to it?

Cheers! x

Day 8 - First week over... yay!

My scales put me down for a half stone loss (I was on a low carb diet for a week prior to LT to get into ketosis, so I lost most of my 'water weight' before starting LT).

Pretty happy with that! Got my official weigh-in on Monday. :D

Well done Pete for getting thru week 1 and good luck for your official weigh in tomorrow x x x

Thanks Kay :)

Officially lost 7.8lb in week 1!

Discovered today from LT (via the pharmacist) that men CAN split their 2 shakes across the day, despite what the DVD says. This is a godsend for me as by 3pm my stomach was sounding really unfriendly...

I'll only be updating this weekly unless there's any important stuff to mention. :D

Well done Pete! That's fab. Officially into the 14's next week then :)

Yep - officially in the 14's!

Week 2 - 14st 9lb - total loss of 13lb in 2 weeks. (Not bad!)

Going to try the Chicken soup this week, as I need a change from just Strawberry, Vanilla and Chocolate shakes!

Brilliant!! Well done Pete!! x x x

Well done Pete!

How are those chicken soups? I keep thinking I may try one.

Nicola x

Back