The Spoon and Me -- Bronski's Diary

bronski

Anything But Ordinary
Wotcha again!

Just joined, and really ready to shift these last kilos. 4 of them, in fact (that's 9lbs, for the little imperial bunnies :) ) A doddle, in theory...

So far, I've lost over 30kgs / over 70lbs since June 2006. The last straggling kilos are clinging on for dear life though!!

My weight loss method has always been to eat sensibly and excersise. Though recently I've not eaten as well as I should have done. One long holiday and one illness later, the scales don't look so appealing...

Anywho, I'll be documenting my journey here. Look forward to reading how everyone else is going :)

Bron

Admittedly, not a good day. Though I do tend to loosen the belt on a friday, it's nice to know there's a day when that chocolate bar/muffin/piece of cake can be eaten. I just really need to try not to use it as an excuse to have six or seven other treats as well.

I'm really going to work hard over the weekend. My biggest problem is that I eat with my family, and my family don't cook until really late on a night. So I end up starving by 8pm and need a snack to carry on.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Bron

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOO!!!

Started the day with a 5mile run, though younger brother tagged along so had a couple of breaks in the middle so he could recover.

So far, I've had a handful of sultanas and a fruit bar.

For lunch, having an apple, two slices of wholemeal bread with Marmite, a small piece of Vegan cheese and a pot of mixed melons.

I'm out at my future inlaw's for tea, which is usually pretty OK. The main meal itself is never huge and has all the food groups, etc. The only problem I'm likely to face is a homemade pudding, a crumble, a sponge or similar. I'll stick to my guns and have fruit instead. My soon-to-be-daddy-in-law's desserts won't be going anywhere fast.

Bron

Sadly, my future-daddy-in-law's rhubard crumble did go somewhere fast; into the stomach region of Bron... My only OKs on it was that I didn't have any custard or ice cream with it, and the rest of the day was spot on.

Today has been pretty excellent:

Breakfast: toasted teacake, olive oil and jam, handful of dry cereal, handful grapes
Lunch: apple, piece of vegan cheese, 2 slices bread with marmite, two handfuls of sultanas

Tea is going to be veggie cassarole with chips. This is eating with the family, and I haven't had chips for a long time, so I'm not feeling too awful about it.

By the way, couple of other tidbits about me; I'm vegeterian with vegan leanings, and I'm getting married in under two months time :)

Any one else vegeterian or vegan?

Bron

hello bron thought id come and check your diary out ,,, ooo not long till the wedding bet your excited ,,, could you have your meals at a diff time from the family so your eating earlier? or is it not practical,,, im glad i cook everyone has to eat when i want to lol

Hey kaz, thanks for swinging in :) Muchos appreciated!

Not long til the wedding at all; 27th of June is the big day! Still got a lot to do, especially on the dress. My future-mum-in-law and I have made it from scratch, so I'm doing the beading now. Hard work, but will be so worth it!

I used to eat earlier than my family, which eliviated the massive portion sizes, the late eating and the meat issue. But my parents were always a little put out by this, and they would make meals that were veggie when I'd already eaten.

But hey, only a couple more months and I'm out of here!

Bron

ahhh well thats it no point upsetting the parents especially if there cooking for you lol maybe just say mum pleaseeeeeeee cut the portions down a wee bit,, your getting married on my sons birthday

I will, I was planning on doing that tonight. Before I went away I made an effort to physically leave some of the meal served up. I should probably try get back into that kind of habit. For a start it meant that I sometimes had a premade veggie meal for the night after.

Yay!! 27th of June rocks :D

Thanks for add, by the way :)

Bron

2 meals for the price of one lol always handy ,,,, to many of us in this household to have many leftovers they tend to go in one go is hubby to be a vegetarian aswell?

Definitely, it would be even more magic if I was doing the two meals in one when I was a student. It's still pretty cool to have a veggie meal on standby, especially if there's enough to freeze.

Heh! If everyone here left leftovers there'd be no room in the fridge for fresh stuff!

Hubby to be isn't veggie. Sadly, he's just a very, very fussy eater. Lives on cheese sandwiches and that's about it! Steak and chips if he can be bothered! So guess who'll be doing the cooking in our house :D

Bron

maybe you will be able to get him to eat different foods ,, at least if your cooking your in control tho wether thats a good thing or a bad thing time will tell lol

He has been loads better at trying new foods over the years. For the first time ever we've been able to order takeaway, when in the past he's just not liked anything. On the surface, not a health-friendly development, but he is starting to try new things. I'll get him munching tofu yet!! Hehe! If all else fails, I can stick him a lamb cutlet on the grill or make him a cheese sandwich. He won't starve. In fact, he'll probably be better fed once we're living together. But like you said, time will tell :)

Bron

have u ever used silken tofu i been trying to get hold of some for making an eggless mayonaisse and struggling to find some but ill keep hunting for it north of the border

You Are Doing Fantastic!!

Hey Bron!!
Well I sat here in awe at your progress. You just rock woman! I also started out at 95 kilos and cannot remember what it is like to be down to even 70 kilos let alone 4 kilos of my goal weight. You truly are an inspiration! :happy096:

I do remember many, many moons ago that I also had about 5 kilos left until I had reached my goal weight. I tried everything!!! Then a friend of mine told me to trick my system into thinking there is a change on the horizon. So instead of eating breakfast at the normal time, I ate it an hour early, ate lunch at 2pm instead of 12.30pm and ate dinner at 4.30pm instead of 6pm. It was really hard to eat those hours but it worked. I do not know why but she believed that the body gets used to certain food at certain time and if you change it around, the body thinks "what the hell!!" lol I did eventually lost those 5 kilos over the next 3 weeks and went back to my regular eating patterns. Now whether that truly worked, I have no idea but something sure did and that was the only thing I changed at the time. Oh!! I do remember that I changed my exercise times too. Instead of my daily time of mornings I changed it to after lunch or late in the evening.

Best of luck and thanks so much for the encouragement and ideas on my posts! Have a good one!
Caz :wavey:

Evening all!

kazzy: Oooo silken tofu is amazing! Great for making vegan cheesecake! Best place is Chinese supermarket for getting silken tofu, or a small health shop. Egg free mayo? Is someone in your family allergic?

Caz: Aww bless ya, thank you :) That's a really interesting idea about changing the eating times, I will definitely have to try that. The exercise too, that's quite intriging. I always run in a morning, will have to adopt an afternoon schedule for a while and see what happens. Thanks so much for the tip, will let you know how it goes!

Just finished tea, and I left some of the chips. First time I've actively lessened a meal in a long time. Had three dried apricots, and my dad's just brought me some fresh pear and pineapple. A bit of a peace offering, we were a bit off with each other earlier. Anything that gets me towards that five a day though!

Bron

Well done bron for leaving some of the chips always a good achievement,,, i find getting the 5 a day fruit and veg is easier achieved if you buy the pre packed packets of fruit and veg always handy to have in the fridge to help keep the munchies at bay aswell,, and well done bron`s dad for the fresh pear and pineapple

Thanks Kazzy :D I'll admit, it was quite hard but so glad I left them! Oo, and thanks for the heads up about prepacked fruits. I tend to strike the mark pretty well, but what I might do is buy in more fresh fruit and pre pack it myself to keep a monitor of it. Living on a bit of a budget at the mo :)

Today's been good so far: porridge for brekkie (made with water, no milk) with a teaspoon of Golden Syrup and cinnamon, a handful of grapes in the afternoon and just had lunch; apple, marmite sarnies, vegan cheese and dried fruit of some description.

Had lunch later, in a bit to change the eating pattern as mentioned before. Will see how it goes!

Bron

i think ill be doing similiar things with the fruit cant afford pre packed all the time but ill keep trying to buy the prepacked for aslong as i can seeing as its just for me and OH the kids can have normal fruit lol

The best time to scope out pre packed fruit is at the end of a night at Sainsburys, we usually pick them up for about 30/40p each! What's your thought on dried fruit? I'm a massive fan, and it really helps get the intake up.

Rest of the day has been spot on: had a handful of sultanas and some dates at lunch, then tea was potato wedges, falafal and veg. Left some of the falafal for tomorrow, and had some more sultanas and two dried apricots after.

Picked up some caramel snack-a-jacks today, they're very tasty, if nutritionally empty! Also got some maple and pecan granola style cereal, which I'm going to start having dry for breakfast instead of porridge.

Got my driving test tomorrow!! Quietly confident-ish, but still kept it secret. My family don't even know about it, so hoping to surprise them tomorrow. Wish me luck though, no doubt you'll hear how it goes!

Bron

Good luck! I was thinking of doing something similar re: secret driving test. I don't think I could cope with the family and friends asking me how it's going and trying to give me advice!

I'm not a vegetarian, not by any means but since I started my healthy eating plan i've been upping my veggie intake massively and enjoying all manner of vegetarian meals (even as a take out, a first for me!)

How do you manage to keep your protein and iron levels up? Especially if you're edging towards Vegan... Great job on the weightloss though!

Back