theme park rides

LOL, what are we like... I will stand for ages on a busy train rather then try to squeeze my bottom into a gap and risk squashing the person already there.

Omg it's like ur all talking about my life! I worry about all that stuff!

Plus I'm ashamed to say I also had to get off a ride at alton towers coz I was too big for it! I can still remember it as clear as day! My friends couldn't even look at me coz they probably knew if they did I'd cry! I just tried to sneak past the huge crowd and wait for my friends. I was completely mortified!

The stupid thing was I had worried about that happening the whole lead up to us going, I'd managed to get out of going on most of the rides, but my (slim) friends dragged ms on to this one! Never again till I've lost the weight!

I also worry about flying. I havnt flown much but I always dread needed an extender! O and Is it me or are cinema seats getting smaller? Lol (u gotta laugh right? What's the alternative?)

Good luck everyone

Ccxx

So this isn't just me then folks? One piece of advice I can give is to look for the rides with the lap-bars, I know that I can ride Thirteen at Alton Towers and The Big One at Blackpool, also if you have the courage and there isn't a tester seat then ask the staff if you can go and try a seat on the ride before queueing up for it. I did that for thirteen (that I was convinced I wouldn't be able to ride) and got a round of applause from the people in the station when it was revealed that I did indeed fit. Highly embarrassing but very cool at the same time!

I dream of my next ride on Nemesis and that is one of my real motivators!

Good luck everyone, and when the nutters amongst us are slim enough to ride then may I propose a meet-up to celebrate?

I've never had an issue even at my biggest going on rides. They've been very tight but they still closed.
I echo someone's comments earlier about eyeing up the biggest person there. I can't wait to not worry about small things like this!

I have to say I went to Alton Towers a few years ago and was so embarrassed for not being able to get on any rides. I am large but didn't realise my girth would be a problem.

In all fairness to Alton towers they gave me a full refund; another reading to loose weight :D

Wow...I am sooo glad I'm not the only one. I went to dinner at a friends a few years ago and they only had 4 chairs...put out a WPC for one seat, which fate landed me in...just before dessert was served...CRACK! I was under the table, bright red...
I never forgot that night and my embarrassment has never gone. Turnstiles, cinema seats, cafe chairs...well any chairs with arms! No chance of theme parks!..too much is being lost because of my weight, so it will be gone soon!!

Plane seatbelts = my worst enemy.

I live in Manchester with OH but my Mum lives down in Sussex so I've got a few flights in my time down to Gatwick to visit. It's SO embarrassing having to ask the flight attendants for an extender. They've always been really nice about it and not made a fuss/done it discreetly, but its still mortifying if someone over hears. I usually ask as I'm getting on the plane and they're all stood at the front so that I don't have to try and attract their attention once sitting down. (Everyone around you will always be bound to want to know what you want them for once seated)
I don't tend to fly anymore because of this, I spoke to my Mum about it once and said how embarrassing it was. It doesn't get brought up anymore as a reason, but she drives up to see me now instead :eek:

I once had to get off a ride at Thorpe Park because the harness thing wouldn't close. That massive ride where everyones in a circle facing each other so everyone saw :( Haven't been on a ride or to a theme park since and that was about 5 or 6 years ago.

what an excelent thread.. I've just added it to my "when I'm thinner" list that's taped to the fridge..
I used to like going on rides, and would regularly go for a "lads day out" with a few work mates to alton towers..
I stopped when I started getting big to save myself the embarasment..

I too size up gaps, and it's the office chairs with arms that are my nightmare..
I've been out of work recently and stepping into interviews and having to perch on the front of the chair, so as to not risk breaking the arms off, has made for some long and uncomfortable interviews.
I'm sure it didn't look too good when I asked at one interview if they had another chair without arms ( I did have to fill out a rather long form so I was going to be there for 20 mins or so.. )

*sigh of relief*
My OH thinks i'm stupid for worrying about stuff like this, so it's reassuring knowing i'm not the only one!!
I LOVE theme parks, but being this weight i refuse to go.
I used to go about 8 times a year until I was 21, when I fell pregnant.
Since then ive not dared go, as i feel sick with worry about not fitting on the rides.

Ive never broken a chair,or anything, but thats probabloy because i pretend I want to stand ;)
I also hate the blood pressure cuffs at my doctors, as I always have to have it changed to a Large one :(

Back