Theories anyone?

Dub07

I read a statistic that we Irish bin 33% of the food we buy and I'd be confident if ashamed that that was a fair estimate of our own family situation.

My question to you all is: Why, when I knew I was having 7 teency meals on AAMW did I buy enough salad to feed 20 people? I can excuse the turkey because I bought the smallest pre-pack available. But did I really need 8 types of salad?

And today - I had to go into LIDL and thought it'd be safe. I was buying a pocket radio. Nothing whatsoever to do with food. Ended up leaving with grilled chicken slices and Cadbury's Boosters, and two jars of Italian mushrooms. Even funnier is that I checked the BB dates in the shop and thought, yeah, no problem, they'll all last and we have none thus we need them. No, haven't eaten them, but it all goes towards the bafflement of why I've spent a fortune on cooking/food magazines and am glued to every cookery program on telly, mooching around on cookery websites as well as here.

Someone talked about eating by proxy. Perhaps that's what I'm at, but how does it auger for maintaining?

I don't know if you subscribe to the theory that some people are addicted to food - I do.

My amateur theory would indicate that as an 'addict' we will do like any other addict and do all we can to ensure a supply of what we need. So often we find people with drink problems working behind bars and those with drug problems ensuring a supply via a variety of means (hospitals, pharmacies) and even paedophiles will ensure that they work in areas that ensure a 'supply' of children i.e. schools, churches etc.

I think that because we need food so we surround ourselves with it.

Hmmm. But - having it in the house doesn't actually mean I consume it? For example, I bought some chocolate three weeks ago and am happy to know that it's in the cupboard. The very idea of its presence means I'm secure that I don't need to seek it out. It puzzles me. If it were an addiction, I'd have thought I'd have needed to guzzle it long ago.

:sigh: Losing the weight will be easier than keeping it off forever.

Alcoholics, drugs users and indeed paedophiles don't always 'act' on the addiction anymore than you will empty the the cupboards - but then one day 'because it's there'.......................

Now, why do I want to stamp my foot? :cool::rolleyes:
Don't be so bloody logical... :cry:

possum, had it not been for my reading your thread about your poor dog, and the durty great sandwich in my imaginary paw, I'd complain to Mini that you're leading me astray :rolleyes::rolleyes: thankfully, I'll take myself to bed and peel off my SIZE 14 JEANS :D That's a whole week I've been wearing them now and I don't even have to breathe in to pull up the zip any more.

:sigh: Oh why do fridges have microphones and speakers for the food to sing?

:DHey I'm really pleased to find more Irish round here, I've not seen many of us LOL

Being more of a lurker meself you wouln't even know i'm here :eek:

I so agree about the fridge speakers thing, I swear if i leave food in the kitchen, it shouts to me through the doors of the presses..:p

same here!! half eaten bag of maltesers (the cinema sized bag as well im ashamed to say) has been calling my name in the sweetest dulcet tones since sunday night but i havent given in!! almost rammed them down my cousins throat when she came to visit today. thankfully she polished them off for me so its one less thing to worry about!

LOL at you force feeding the cousin Delli!
My nearest and dearest maintain that have become 'A FEEDER' since I started dieting and shedding loads of weight ! Eating by proxy ! If I cant have then I have to watch others eat it, and I think they might have a point you know. I sit and watch them and get quite a bit of pleasure out of it too, mentally adding up in my head how many calories they are consuming. OHHHH... I am worrying myself now.
I have done the buying things in and thought of it as a sabotage thing, when I get a bit frightened I may be getting too thin! FAT CHANCE!
DUB 07
Hey, Just got back from Dublin had a few days there with a pal and I gained at least 2lbs , but enjoyed every mouthfull of everything I ate , main culprit was AVOCA 's gorgeous cafe need I say chips fried in duck fat! and homemade puddings form the Queen of Tarts just opposite Dublin Castle!
Back on the packs today though and happy I had the food and Guinness break LOL
LOved Dublin it was brilliant!
PS. Go see the RatPack at the Gaeity theatre Frank Sinatra is EDIBLE and no calories!

Hey, Just got back from Dublin had a few days there with a pal and I gained at least 2lbs , but enjoyed every mouthfull of everything I ate , main culprit was AVOCA 's gorgeous cafe need I say chips fried in duck fat! and homemade puddings form the Queen of Tarts just opposite Dublin Castle!
Back on the packs today though and happy I had the food and Guinness break LOL
LOved Dublin it was brilliant!
PS. Go see the RatPack at the Gaeity theatre Frank Sinatra is EDIBLE and no calories!

Glad you enjoyed the break - sounds like you deserved it after losing so much since March ;)

Avoca do gorgeous food, but their portions always beat me! Have heard great things about Queen of Tarts, must give it a try when done with CD. :rolleyes:

:DHey I'm really pleased to find more Irish round here, I've not seen many of us

(waves) I think there's a few, from both north & south!

On the matter of 'talking food', once it 'speaks' to me it has to go in the bin. My husband and daughter lose the plot when they find that stuff has vanished.

I am not completly inconsiderate and before I throw something out I will always ask, "Does anyone want this last piece of cake or this chocolate or these biscuits"? and they'll say "No" if it's my daughter and "Maybe later" if it's my husband. Now No and Maybe Later are no good to me if the food is 'talking' because I know that if my daughter says No she wont want it until hours later or even the following day and my husband could FORGET about it for days on end so ..................

it must go in the bin or else it will go in me!!!

You can rarely find nice things to eat in my house these days not unless I am planning a little 'binge fest'! - then it's worth a visit!

So chaps - THROW IT IN THE BIN!!

So chaps - THROW IT IN THE BIN!!

Oh god! That'd be a bridge too far just yet for me... :eek: It only gets binned when it goes past the best-by or goes off.
Some people have even sprayed washing-up liquid or airfreshener on food after they put it in the bin, but I simply couldn't get my head around that right now.

I'll admit that I've force-fed things to other people, or guilted them into finishing something which they've bought faster than they would otherwise have done. Point is, none of the people I've "fed up" have a weight problem.

This is why fatpossum is a size 10 and I'm not!

I used to have this really skinny friend who was a chef. She could make the most wonderful pastries - her chocolate eclairs were to die for. We loved them and sure enough whenever my son and I would visit she would have made a BIG!! plateful especially for us.

She would sit there with a coffee and a fag and watch every mouthful we took but she wouldn't even sniff at one!! She told me that she had been overweight in the past and refused ever to gain weight again. So she would cook and bake for others but never eat it herself!!!

I have heard that lots of people on diets get preoccupied with food and want to bake and cook for their families and then watch them eat it. It sounds a bit pervy!!!

Back