Things to do in Ilfracombe

sarah83

Try and try again
Hi,
Am off on hols to Ilfracombe on 21st August to celebrate my hubby's nan's 80th b'day - we've rented a house for 14 of us for the week!!

I just wanted a bit of advice from anyone who has holidayed or lives there or near about things to do, like:
Pubs
Restaurant
Shops
Days out
Trips
Etc Etc

Thanks all :)

We have been to Ilfracombe for a week for two years running now and have hardly left there. The website is very useful. There are quite a few restaurants and take aways. There will probably be leaflets in your rented property for them. We have children and spent loads of time at the beach. There's a castle and a theme park nearby. Barnstaple is good for shopping. There's bowling there too for rainy days (hopefully not needed) and an aquarium in Ilfracombe.

Ooh I have rambled. Anyway have a great time with all the family. I don't envy you cooking for such a crowd. Good luck.:D

Thanks guys, I've seen that website and it started giving me loads of ideas... especially the boat trips.
It's good to hear some first hand views... will definately check out Barnstaple, and I didn't realise there was a castle nearby or bowling.
Thanks guys

Ooh, Milky Way (I think that's what it's called) anywho, it's a theme park with mechanical dinosaurs in it (I think they still have them!)
If the weather's good the beach is absolutely beautiful, and I'd highly recommend Barnstaple for some shopping.

cream tea? :p

And lots of ice cream!!!

No... I've decided I'm going to try and be good (apart from all the wine I'll be drinking ;)) so will try my hardest to stick to plan and just have a coffee while everyone's tucking into their scones!!

Thanks Punisher - I'll look out for that theme park - the kids will love it.
Keeping my fingers crossed for nice weather - will spend lots of time on the beach if it's nice!!

Woolacombe is lovely and as you're in Ilfracombe you will just have to go to Roly's Fudge Pantry! It is the best fudge ever..you must try it!!!!

I used to live in Bideford make a trip there too and learn all about the bideford witches. the town has loads of history.
You can go to Clovelly which is stunning or Hartland point and Westward Hoe has an amazing beach.
If i could only reccomend one it would be Clovelly its amazing.

Ooh, Milky Way (I think that's what it's called) anywho, it's a theme park with mechanical dinosaurs in it (I think they still have them!)

We were there bacn in June and didn't see any dinosaurs. In fact I broke my arm crashing a dodgem there - ooh the shame :sigh:! So coincidentally, Barnstaple A&E is very good and efficient! LOL

However there were definitely no dinosaurs there - are you sure you aren't thinking of Coombe Martin Dinosaur and Wildlife Park?

That was quite good but fairly expensive and a lot of walking around considering how little was in it really. But that said my toddlers loved looking at the dinosaurs.

We stayed in Croyde but did spend a lot of time in Ilfracoombe and loved the little mini beach in the harbour which is so small we could just let the boys go mental and if they ran off could catch them in a few strides!

Woolacoombe also has a lovely beach but be prepared to pay for parking everywhere - it was a fixed price of £5 a day whilst we were there but that £5 was the same even if you only stayed for 10 mins. From memory lots of the local beaches charge between £4 and £6.50 per stay. (This may change now it's later in the season).

Also if you have children who like steam trains then Woody Bay Station is well worth a look - it's a purpose built station that is amazing and you have a little ride on there for £6 an adult return and under 3's are free - sorry don't know about children over that. It's really old fashioned in style and for the boys it was like being in Thomas the Tank as the shop sells lots of toys, flags and badges etc. It really made out holiday because they loved it so much.

I hope you have a good a time as we did - with no broken arm!

The Railway | Lynton_&_ Barnstaple_Railway
Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park
The Milky Way – family attraction & all weather day out, North Devon.

Back