Thinking about going-it-alone

KraziKayzi

Silver Member
Money is extremely tight at the moment and I feel that spending £20 a month (more if I do raffles/take in fruit/snacks) on my slimming world meetings isn't justified when we hardly have two pennies to rub together, such a shame as I do really love going to group and have made some nice friends there (im new to my town so a huge bonus).

Anyway, does anybody else go-it-alone and do it without even the online version?!
And if so, how have you got on?

I have got the hang of the diet and know what I am supposed to be doing food wise and I got all you lot here to help me if I am stuck! :)

Xxxx

Hi there. I'm doing the same, due to financial reasons. Hoping I will stick to it without the support of a group. Perhaps we should start our own online group lol!

I do it at home on my own, using my old books and this site! I have done sw before though and lost 6 stones, although it has changed alot since then as it was ten years ago! I run a pub so couldn't get to classes as I work funny hours (non stop actually!) lol I lost half a stone at class and a further 3 stones at home on my own. I think if you want to go it alone and are confident then do it, this site is my group! X

If your motivation is high enough you'll be fine at home.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

If you have any holidays left, I suggest that you take them first, before you leave. You could use this 'holiday time' to see if you can manage it alone, or if you really do need the support of the group.

If you buy a countdown, you can get 12 weeks for the price of 10. I know that it's a large commitment (money-wise) but you would be saving nearly £10.

For the SOTW basket, I buy a pack of Weetabix Oaty bars (£1 for a 5 pack at Poundland), and take in one each week (only 20p a time).

If you've made some friends at group, how about meeting up with them one day a week? That way, you'd still have some 'real-world' group support, keep up with any new SW news and also not lose your new-found friends?

Of course, everyone on here is also happy to help and support you in any way possible :D

If you have any holidays left, I suggest that you take them first, before you leave. You could use this 'holiday time' to see if you can manage it alone, or if you really do need the support of the group.

If you buy a countdown, you can get 12 weeks for the price of 10. I know that it's a large commitment (money-wise) but you would be saving nearly £10.

For the SOTW basket, I buy a pack of Weetabix Oaty bars (£1 for a 5 pack at Poundland), and take in one each week (only 20p a time).

If you've made some friends at group, how about meeting up with them one day a week? That way, you'd still have some 'real-world' group support, keep up with any new SW news and also not lose your new-found friends?

Of course, everyone on here is also happy to help and support you in any way possible :D

FAO MODS - Sorry for the double post, my computer froze and in my random clicking for some sign of technical life, I double posted. SORRY!!

Last edited:
I am going solo at the moment, but am super focused on my holiday so my motivation is high. Only you know if you habe the motivation to do it alone, if you can be accountable to yourself and keep on track when it gets tough. Coming on here is good for support and motovation.

I do it from home and think i am doing well. This site is great for info! I have also learnt alot from my books now and its all automatic and doesn't require much thinking, ie what HEx i can have and syn values etc. I would like to go to group but im too shy to go alone and have 4 kids! From what i have heard online membership is pretty useless. It is definately all about motivation, i think if you want to lose weight you will succeed at group or at home! Good luck xx

I'm just starting it alone, as I too am strapped for every penny right now and can't afford class. I would rather spend the fiver on my badminton club, as I figure the exercise is more beneficial to me currently.
I've got a friend who's doing it with me though and also found this site, which is being a real help :)

My motivation is also high currently, as I've got set goals in mind, have had to start physio for a knee injury which my weight is exacerbating, and also have a really hard taskmaster keeping a close eye on me!!! I daren't slip up! :eek:

I do it from home too.I borrowed a friends book at the start and wrote down a few essentials and just bought a food directory from ebay.1 and a half stone lost so far but as others said u need to be motivated to do it yourself as u dont have to get on the scales infront of anyone!! i ve just joined a xmas challenge on here so thats fab...i have to tell others if i put weight on now!!! Give it a go,thats why ive never joined a group....it always seems alot of money.And this site is great for info or for a bit of motivation,Good luck x

Thanks for all the replies :)

It will be a shame not to go group, but will help out having that extra £20 a month, not that I will get to see it!
How many days holiday do you get?
One of the people I get on with I see at my kids school, we have two children each and they happen to be in the same year at school and she has already suggested we meet up for coffees :D
My only motivation is to get back into my clothes that I was wearing a few years ago and to feel pretty again!
I hope that is enough to keep me on track and I will sign up to the challeges :) we all need a bit of a challege eh!
Well done on your losses people, its proof you can do it for free, but minimins has got to be the special ingredient in success, I find out way more on here then I do going to group, group is more of a social thing really xxx

I used to go to class & did well losing 2.5 stone but due to various reasons I left & put all the weight on. I'm now doing it alone at home as like u the £20 plus I can't really afford. For me I feel at the end of the day I have to be strong enough to stick to plan & the support on here from everyone is fantastic. Good luck & I look fwd to following ur progress x

I think its different for everyone. Some people need the motivation and 'fear of the scales' to keep them going and motivate them to be good, and others can motivate themselves (I'm in the first group haha).
Totally understand what you're saying moneywise though, £20 a month does seem a lot when moneys tight.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

I do it alone. Have been to club and use my old books. I agree with the 'fear of the scales' theory but rather than going to group I found this site and use the 'through the stones' sub-forum as my weigh in. Keeps me going as I really don't want to post a gain. This site has everything I need to find out for syn values, recipe ideas, etc. I hate feeling so tired and lazy so my motivation is high but do miss a group for the recipe books for sale and cheap magazines!

Hi There,

I did it alone for a few monthes just using this site for my info and support. If my motivation was lacking I would post a message and there was always someone or other who would come along and remind me just why im doing it in the first place and give me the moral boost I needed I lost about a stone and half and then discovered I was pregnant with my first, then things went belly up for the diet as I was realy ill the first few monthes.

Im now back, in fact this is my first day back on SW and with Minimins and I already feel like one of the family again.

I am so glad you are my proof that it can be done at home, and I will keep you all updated, my diary is in my Sig :)

Well today I didn't go to group and my councillor said she would out me down as a shift worker so couldn't make this week and then see how I go, may just book my 6weeks hols and go back about mid November and wow them all with my fantastic loss as I would still be sticking to plan by coming in here ahaa
Thanks everyone x

I was doing SW last year and going to group but my heart wasn't in it.

This time due to time and financial constraints I am going it alone. With you lot aswell so not really alone. I think this site is amazing so many idea and motivation. who needs group?!?

Malibu xx

I do it alone, no class or website subscription. I did used to go to class but stopped for various reasons. Since April this year I've done it alone & have lost more than when I was at class. I'm incredibly self-motivated which helps :)

I find most of the answers on here, the ladies are so helpful & really know their stuff. This is my third time around with SW so I knew (all too well) the basics so I knew I could do it alone, it's only when the odd thing changes, a rule or something, you need to be in the know but usually that kind of info is shared on here :)

I'm going it alone too - and strangely enough I've found that my motivation levels are roughly proportional to the amount of time that I spend reading the stories and support on this website :) I tried it on here once before around May this year, and I was going OK for a couple of months (lost about 1st in 10wks) until I stopped coming on here - so obviously now I know where i went wrong :D

Time to try again and this time keep on motivating myself!

Back