Tips needed on getting "SW Chips" right...

Harza

Hello All..

I made the guilt free fish and chips recipe from the latest mag for tea tonight.. the fish was great but i cant seem to get my sw chips right... was wondering if any of you lovely lot could give me a few tips on making them better.. been looking at peoples photos on here of thr meals and im very envious that your chips look better thn mine lol:confused:

Did you parboil them for 5 minutes? I think you can pat them dry next, or just leave for 5 mins. Spray frylight on a baking tray, put the chips in, then spray the top of the chips, then bake for about 20 minutes.

I hope that helps, or have I missed something? x

I find that the longer I leave them after parboiling and the dryer they get the crisper and nicer the chips! I always had problems before I had a fan assisted oven as well!

Kirstles

I just use a normal bag od potatoes. Cut them up. Put in microqave for about 5 mins. Fry light an oven tray. Spread chips out. Put fry light on top and sprinkle a small amoynt of salt. They are lovely xxx

I par boil for 5 minutes and then use a really hot oven, 230 I think (i'm not fan assisted though!). Turn out just right for me with loads of vinegar, mmmm!

Use Maris piper potatoes and an actifry fab chips

My SW chips were never good even doing them BritMums way - now do them the above way and they are brilliant. Don't use as much oil as they advise and they are still great.

Thank you thank you thank you for pointing me in the direction of maris piper potatoes. OMG they are amazing x

i use the cheap potatoes (where you get a bag of white potatoes for about a £1.
I wash and wedge them (i dont bother pealing them) and make them in wedges.
i dont even bother parboiling
i heat oven to 180 (fan) - probs do 200 if not fan
when oven read put frylight on baking tray - heat up and then put chips on there.
cook for about 25-30 mins (longer if you like them crispier)

After trying to get these right for ages I've found that my favourite ones are where I nuke my potatoes in the microwave, then cut them (carefully) into chips and do the whole fry light high temp oven thing xx do yummy and I'm not a big fan of microwaves do am chuffed I tried this one day after realising I was too pushed for time to parboil xxx

I use cheapie baking potatoes, peel and slice into chips, leave covered in water - usually overnight as I prepare a day in advance, drain, rinse and parboil for 5 mins, drain leave to cook for 10 mins or so, cook on silicon sheet sprayed with frylight in 220C (fan) for approx 3 mins - like them well done :)

Back