To syn or not to syn...that is the question??

Darcys Mummy

Silver Member
Just thought I'd put this out on a wider thread than just my weigh in group. I recently had an unexplained gain although now 2 weeks later it's looking like it was * star week. Anyway it hit me hard as I had been 100% on plan and one way or another we ended up having a discussion about syns. I am not a syn person I just find that I don't use them and if I do I use very few. And when I was at group they said between 5 and 15 they didn't say use all 15 so never made an effort to use them. Anyway I had some people say they actually lost more the more syns they used. So I made the effort to use all my syns last week and I lost 3lbs which is my lowest loss so far but I am only on week 4 so I don't know whether to believe it or not but I am using my syns this week I haven't used them all but a lot more than I normally would.

Anyway ramble over my question to you is have you noticed a difference in your weight loss based on the amount of syns you use? Either losing more with less syns or losing more with more syns?

I've only ever used 10 as a plan, sometimes slipped up to 15 on a bad day but I never planned over it, I can't say I noticed a difference with losses when i used 5 or 15 but TBH I never really kept that much or a note if it changed. It's possible, a lot of people who have no syns find they struggle with a loss especially in the first few weeks. I think it's more of a control, they come down as you lose weight so you have something to change if you're struggling.

But I'd never say eat more food if you're not hungry just for the sake of eating, you can always use it in your meals, it doesn't have to be snacks etc, even a bit of butter in your mash!

X

I've only ever used 10 as a plan, sometimes slipped up to 15 on a bad day but I never planned over it, I can't say I noticed a difference with losses when i used 5 or 15 but TBH I never really kept that much or a note if it changed. It's possible, a lot of people who have no syns find they struggle with a loss especially in the first few weeks. I think it's more of a control, they come down as you lose weight so you have something to change if you're struggling.

But I'd never say eat more food if you're not hungry just for the sake of eating, you can always use it in your meals, it doesn't have to be snacks etc, even a bit of butter in your mash!

X

Last week I was snacking in order to use them but this week it has been apart of my meals and I haven't been doing it purposely. It just baffles me that you have to eat more to lose weight lol...you wouldn't tell an alcoholic to drink more to curb his drinking...it's weird!! LoL And although on different scales probably and no pun intended they are both addictions...drinking addiction and eating addictions. And an alcoholic going from 10 pints a day to 1 is the same as dieters going from I don't know cooking oil to Fry Light spray as an example it's all re-educating your mind. So confusing...I have lost 4lbs, 5lbs and 3lbs so I think I'll stick to the way I'm doing things because it obviously is working.

Last week I was snacking in order to use them but this week it has been apart of my meals and I haven't been doing it purposely. It just baffles me that you have to eat more to lose weight lol...you wouldn't tell an alcoholic to drink more to curb his drinking...it's weird!! LoL And although on different scales probably and no pun intended they are both addictions...drinking addiction and eating addictions. And an alcoholic going from 10 pints a day to 1 is the same as dieters going from I don't know cooking oil to Fry Light spray as an example it's all re-educating your mind. So confusing...I have lost 4lbs, 5lbs and 3lbs so I think I'll stick to the way I'm doing things because it obviously is working.

I agree, it definitely is an addiction, if anything (without meaning to cause offense to anyone with addictions) I think it's the hardest one to overcome, you can cut out alcohol and go cold turkey, but you need food to live, you can't just cut out nutrition. I definitely find it easier to use them in my food otherwise one bag of crisps can lead to 2 and it's a bad cycle to get into, I just don't have enough willpower at the moment, but a bit of butter on my toast is easy to incorporate!
X

I agree, it definitely is an addiction, if anything (without meaning to cause offense to anyone with addictions) I think it's the hardest one to overcome, you can cut out alcohol and go cold turkey, but you need food to live, you can't just cut out nutrition. I definitely find it easier to use them in my food otherwise one bag of crisps can lead to 2 and it's a bad cycle to get into, I just don't have enough willpower at the moment, but a bit of butter on my toast is easy to incorporate!
X

It is definitely the worst of the addictions for exactly the reason you gave...we can't live without food. Ahh well no use complaining at least we get to eat delicious food on our 'recovery' lol

Last time I did this I was a bit OCD about it - would buy a box of all bran and separate it into portion bags (can't touch the stuff now!). I also didn;t use any syns at all. The weight fell off. This timer I am taking it a bit more relaxed. Still following the plan with no cheating but I do use my syns now and again ( usually in red wine). The weight is comign off but slower. I can live with this - this i feel is somethign i coudl stick to whereas the previous obsessive version was impossble. So slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Last time I did this I was a bit OCD about it - would buy a box of all bran and separate it into portion bags (can't touch the stuff now!). I also didn;t use any syns at all. The weight fell off. This timer I am taking it a bit more relaxed. Still following the plan with no cheating but I do use my syns now and again ( usually in red wine). The weight is comign off but slower. I can live with this - this i feel is somethign i coudl stick to whereas the previous obsessive version was impossble. So slowly slowly catchy monkey!

See I'm the same way it will come off when it comes off if I could click my fingers and it was gone tomorrow I would but I'm using my syns if I need to but I'm not going out my way to use them this week the least I've used in a day is 12 so I'm doing well this week so see what the scales say tomorrow.

Jo,

exactly my way of thinking. If I fancy a glass of red wine I will use the syns. if i dont then I certainly won't go out of my way to use them. I do firmly believe if you lose it slowly then it is easier to keep off.

Lel

Can I offer another angle? If I'm stuck on a weight and it's not coming off I try and up my protein and lower my Carb intake and not use your syns for bread or cereals. Add a little cheese or a latte as your syn value to 8 or so and drink LOTS of water. Seems to help lock start it again. You'll get there don't get disheartened and stuck over syns. You make the plan work for you - it's a bit like parenting, listen to advice and go with the heart :D

Our group leader says very often (...every meeting, in fact) that it's important to use your syns. I don't because it just doesn't seem "right". I'm losing but not quickly. Only about 1-2 lbs per week but that's okay with me.

In a past life (many moons ago :thinking2:) I was in the army and then became a fitness instructor, nutritionist and very skinny lmao..never believed I could be overweight never mind bordering on obese. Anyway life happened..... over the last couple of years I have found it difficult to lose weight despite trying calorie counting, weightwatchers, blah de blah.... if you/we aren't taking enough nutrition each day then no matter what we do we will never get a loss as the body will go into starvation mode and become a clingon... 7lb weekly losses cannot be sustainable..like someone else said follow the plan, eat or drink and enjoy a little of what you fancy (syns) and you'll get results.. slowly slowly catchy monkey has become my mantra.

Hi guys completely agree enjoy every day, for me this is not short term thing but a life change.

if it was easy to stay fit and slim - then slimming world and all the other company's that support the weight loss journey would not exist.

we are stronger after making this journey every day is a challenge, but it is one that we can decide to win.

i love chocolate, sweets, take away, wine in fact everything high calorie and generally nice - I am still having all of this but instead of a whole packet of 5 doughnuts, I am having a two finger kit Kat - but I want to keep up with my grandsons more than have a bag of dougnuts and I want to get into my new jeans (size 6) and enjoy shopping again for clothes

good luck all

I am so glad that there are other people who are confused by this. My leader keeps saying this and I sit there thinking how does that work? I get that syns help it to become more of a long term plan but I was told I would have lost more in my first week if I had eaten my syns? If I had some chocolate everyday, would I really lose more? Seems odd to me!

Will let u all know my view after weigh in tomorrow night as have had 2 hiccups this week both in regard to consuming biscuits........

Back