Too fat to exercise??

Pinkylous

I feel like I am going round in circles.

Can't lose weight without exercising and can't exercise without losing weight.

There is nothing I can do that doesn't make my shins feel like they're going to snap.

I've walked 20 mins yesterday and 40 mins today at a steady pace yet I can barely walk as my shins are so sore.

I'm all for the no pain no gain thing but this is ridiculous.

I've put it down to that. No matter what I do warm ups, slowing pace, not running etc nothing stops it from happening. :0(

are your shoes the correct type? I had that problem with my old running trainers, I was getting shin splints everytime but since getting new trainers that hasn't happened again.
also are the trainers new? if no, the support might have gone in them

My trainers are quite comfortable and I never had a problem with them when I wore them to the gym but haven't wore them since and iv piled about 3 stone on since then.

I cant wear the same trainers for the gym and running, I need more support for walking/running than I do just gymming it.

I actually went to see my doctor last week about it cos I just feel like I'm going round in circles can't exercise cos I'm too fat and can't lose weight cos I can't exercise.

She agreed sounded like shin splints and said avoid running and high impact activity and cycle instead which I can't do because it hurts my knee. She said that it shouldn't hurt my knee as its low impact and they recommend it to people with knee injuries along with swimming.

I appreciate that swimming and cycling may help other people with ongoing knee problems but it really does hurt MY knee.

(My doctor and I do not get along)

You can lose weight by diet alone, weight loss is by diet , exercise is for fitness and body shape. Rosemary conley 'whole body workout ' dvd has a section for people with no mobility so this could help until you can mobilise more.

I love walking but am having real problems with my Achilles' tendons at the moment unless I have my proper walking boots on so am staying off the treadmill at the gym. The gym I go to has those machines like a bike for your arms. You know the ones they have on biggest loser USA? I would suggest swimming but if you're anything like me, the thought of putting a cossie on is far more traumatic than the pain of just doing other activity

do you use the gym at all? some of the instructors there can show you some things to improve if its not your trainers.
I have weak ankles, they gave me some exercises to try and they have helped a lot!

I was actually like that the first time I started walking. I was really unfit at the time and hadn't done any exercise in ages and it was a real shock to the system. I was actually wanting to start walking because I was off to Disney World and was concerned about all the exercise I needed to do while I was there.

However a year later when I was even fatter I did walking again and didn't get any shin problems at all.

How about you do some exercise that is not as high impact and work up to the walking? I found the wii fit was much easier and then you can take it slowly or do it while watching TV?

yeah wii fit is pretty good! easy on the joints, and can be done at your own pace :)

i agree start your walking slowly and build it up as you go xx

Absolutely agree with walking. the weather is still good, you don't need to wear anything specific so you wont stand out as a person who is 'exercising', go for it.

There's a guy who goes to my gym. He still has a lot to lose but I see him all the time walking, and he is steadily getting there. I've not seen him for about weeks, spotted him today and he's looking great. He's clearly a man on a mission as he wears a sweat band and a high visability vest!

Good luck and get moving! You can do it!

splod
i agree with that totally no one know where we are doing it for slimmer us like you said we do not stand out i keep telling myself let them look chez cause you are doing something about the way you look i do a lot of walking with my leslie sansone dvd at home 2 miles because i get a good workout but i do walk outside and thats a bonus for my exercise im hoping to so swimming at our local baths when all the kids are back at school just trying to get the confidence to go i do not want to rely on going with someone as they always seem to let you down so im going to go on my own x

Thanks everyone. Been taking it slow walking 2 miles per day for past 2 weeks. Last Saturday and Sunday walked 4 miles each day and today walked 11.3 miles and OUCH!

Thanks everyone. Been taking it slow walking 2 miles per day for past 2 weeks. Last Saturday and Sunday walked 4 miles each day and today walked 11.3 miles and OUCH!

Keep it up, it's not a race! Walking is better than sitting on the couch ;)

Back