Tortoises !

Yep, we have 4; Hazel, Alec, George & Woody. George & Woody are youngsters only 4 yrs old. Hazel & Alec are about 50 we think. I inherited 3 torties when I was about 10 and my Mum's elderly neighbour died. One of them being Alec along with Topsy and Tommy who died about 6 years ago; we think they must have been pushing 90 by then.

They all live in my Mums garden which is huge and my Dad spends many hours keeping the fences tortoise proof! They can really shift can't they, people are always amazed when they spy them storming across the lawn. Especially Alec when he's pursuit of Hazel.....ahh she just doesn't fancy him though he's been wooing her for years!

I love tortosies and Beagles. When I get my own house I want one of each. Though! Will they be compatible. I've read Beagles are friendly which is good, but also playful. Does that mean they might accidently hurt the tort?

I have 3; Dandelion, Burdock (both female, 5 years old)and Pog (male, 12). I hope to get them breeding in a few years time, get registered with DEFRA etc, and sell the babies (or more likely give them to my friends).:) Mine are all TGI (Testudo Graeca Ibera) spur thighs. I love my torts to bits, they are so entertaining in the Summer, and it's like having a new pet when they awaken after hibernation!

I post and lurk on this site; it is a mine of info regarding chelonia;

Shelled Warriors :: Index

hiya, weve got a spurred and a hermann. Charlie we found, the old chap died and we were clearing the house and inside the wardrobe was a shoebox with a hibernating tortoise inside. Shelly is another cast off that no one wanted. they belong to my mum really, shes had them for as long as i can remember.

i have a hermans tortoise, had him for 3 years and hes called stupid! dont ask lol...... we love stupid!

I had a Tortoise called Percy when I was a kid... I remember he died during hibernation (like on Blue Peter) and my dad threw him in the dustbin! My brother, sister and I were distraught... we wanted to hold a little funeral and make a cross etc...

I had a Tortoise called Percy when I was a kid... I remember he died during hibernation (like on Blue Peter) and my dad threw him in the dustbin! My brother, sister and I were distraught... we wanted to hold a little funeral and make a cross etc...

I would be completely beside myself if one of mine died, let alone be thrown in the bin.:cry:

Happy to report mine are all out of hibernation and munching merrily!:D

If they are kept at too high a temperature during hibernation they can burn off too much body fat and literally starve to death. People used to put them in airing cupboards or in the loft, these places are too warm. A garage in a cardboard box is better, and the professionals use a fridge! I may try this next year!

My daughter requested a tortoise as a pet when she graduated last year, but we just don't know where to go to get one for her. Obviously, we want to use a reputable and reliable breeder, but we don't know anyone who has tortoises so have no-one to get recommendations from.

It would be great if someone on here could point me in the right direction. It's nearly a year since she graduated with a 2:1 after working so hard for a degree and she is being very patient with us.

hi, a good place to go is Shelled Warriors (.co.uk), they have a list of breeders from all regions of the uk!
It's where I found the breeder of my tortoise. :D

Back