Total Body Training (TBT)

No its perfectly okay, there is hardly anyone I see who doesn't have some sort of physical issue to deal with before we put a plan together. You're actually in the majority. And also I understand how you mean about Personal Trainers. The standards out there are quite shocking to be honest. But we're not all bad:)

I advise against both those leg press exercises you've linked. The reason being, they force the legs to move irrespective of your core, which leads to low back weakness and eventually pain.

If you can, try standing shoulder presses with moderate-light dumbbells. Make sure the weight isn't too heavy, but if you can lift it more than 15 times its too light. This exercise gets your whole body working for a multiplied calorie burn.

Other than that, definately stick with the rower and bike, and start moving toward interval training.

This involves upping the pace slightly for 30 seconds, then bringing it back to a normal, leisurely pace for a minute to gain your energy back. Repeat this method for 15-20 minutes to get a better fat burning workout.

Also, just noticed your from Rhymney!

Hah why yes I am :D, where are you from then?

One guy told me I had to do 100rpm for 10mins on the bike, I can just about manage 90 without keeling over.. would that be what I should do for the increased pace interval-wise?

Sorry for all the questions, have never really "bothered" fitness speaking so the more I learn, the more I realize I still don't know. :p

I'm from Merthyr but I work in Pontypridd. Also, my girlfriend is from Pontlottyn so we have a few friends in the Rhymney area. Small world!

For a trainer to say go at a certain speed without seeing what you are capable of first is the kind of idiocy that burdons most gym goers these days.

Some of my fittest clients can just about get over 120rpm, so yes, stick at 90 MAXIMUM if thats what you can manage.

Id probably recommend you start at around 75 to 80 at first for the high intensity intervals.

For instance, tell yourself you will stay at 75 or above (so any number you can manage as long as you don't let it drop under 75) and then up that minimum number by 2rpm each week.

That will be a more gradual and safer pace.

Cheers, I will try that and up it slightly each time I go :)

I actually live in Abertysswg, with family all in Pontlottyn but people never know where that is :)

I'm never going to understand how some people become fitness trainers when they clearly haven't got a clue ??

I hadn't heard of Pontlottyn until I met my girlfriend, and its only 9 minutes from where I live! I genuinely thought she was making up a random place to wind me up!

To be fair, its not always the trainers fault. its the standards (or lack of) that the entire industry places on itself.

Almost all of what is taught at colleges, PT and Gym instructor courses and EVEN University degree level is outdated and non-sense.

Another problem is that these new instructors are not taught, or given any experience working with actual PEOPLE before they jump in and start giving out programs.

I've been a martial arts instructor to children for 5 years, I've been a student P.E coach to year 4 and 5 kids, and I've also delivered sport and fitness sessions to disabled groups BEFORE becomming a fitness instructor, so I just count myself lucky that I've had the opportunity to work with a variety of populations and so I know that not all people are created equal when it comes to prescribing exercise.

What most instructors tend to forget is that the average person is not as fit, or even enthusiastic about fitness as they are.

The other BIG problem as I see it is that second to doctors and nurses, us fitness instructors are being given more and more responsibility over the general populations' health and wellbeing. Now, doctors are FORCED to stay on top of current medical research and practices and MUST invest their own money into updating courses and learning regularly.

On the other hand, most Personal Trainers just go through their short course (some only last two or three weeks!) and then believe thats all thier is to it and refuse to keep learning. Hence they are using outdated and ineffective, and often dangerous methods.

I make it a priority to study an aspect of health and fitness for at least 1 hour every night, be it online articles from the top experts, medical journals, books, magazines, regular courses, and other material. I've done this for the last 2-3 years and its helped me to no end. I have dozens of books on fitness and nutrition of course, but also back health, corrective exercise, rehabilitiation, and even self-help, psychology, and human relations books (such as Dale Carnegie and the like) so that I can learn to be a better all round motivator and understand my clients as best as possible.

I do think its a shame that 90% of fitnes professionals do not see things this way, as it gives us all a bad reputation and is putting people off fitness and commercial gyms every day.

oh goodness, I've just realised how much I've vented at you! Sorry about that rant lol. Anyway its off my chest now.

Err...let me know if you need any more help! :eek:

Hehe feel free to vent all you like :p

I think with a lot of things, there's no updating of the "official" standard to be adhered to. I teach first aid, and the number of people who think that nothing is going to change, or that it's pointless they attend as they've done it (years!) before and therefore "know all there is to know" is ridiculous :p

Ah well, your help has really been invaluable :D so thanks. Will get onto what you suggested when I'm at the gym tomorrow :)

Hey Justin,

I've read your cardio thread, the fat burning thread and the one below. I saw a plan on the cardio thread but how would the fat burning exercises fit into that? Could you substitute a TBT for a fat burning?

I'm just getting back into exercise and from the week after next will be following a Hal Higdon 10k training program. 10-K Training: Novice

Any suggestions on how you would fit in some of your plans to that?

There's a few different kinds of squat and deadlifts. Which ones are you recommending and should weights be used?

If by fat burning you mean the Complex workouts, then yes you could substitute it instead of a TBT workout.

The complex would best be used on Monday and Thursday as your 'stretch & strength' workout. You wont gain as much strength using complexes as you would using a TBT, but the complexes will be great for helping you get used to the burning sensation in your legs that you may feel during a 10k run.

But please bare in mind, the complexes WILL sap loads of your energy, and much of your calorie intake will be burned off straight away following the workouts (if done at a good intensity) because the complexes cause your metabolism to skyrocket. This may leave you a bit sore and tired to carry on with your cardio days. A TBT workout wouldn't be as demanding, so you may want to think about your options here and how it will affect the rest of your workout plan.

As for the rest of your week, there is already PLENT of aerobic exercise volume in that program (to be honest thats a bit too much stress on the joints, in my opinion) so I wouldn't do anything more than that.

Also, if you are just getting back into exercise, I wouldn't recommend trying the whole program from the start. Id recommend starting with 2-3 days of exercise (one strength, 2 cardio) and maybe adding an extra session each week. I know thats not what you were asking about originally but thats just my personal advice on the program. The last thing you want is to be burned out or injured.

If theres anything I can help you with, or I havent explained anything clearly just let me know.

Justin

Thanks for the speedy response. I thought you may say to bring the TBT and Complex workouts in gradually. I used to exercise a fair bit so know the importance of taking it easy at first until my body gets used to moving again.

I was thinking about swapping one of the cross-training days for a Complex workout perhaps every second week or so. Thoughts?

Re the TBT, there's a few different kinds of squats and deadlifts. Which ones are you recommending and should weights be used? I'm pretty weak in the upper body so I used 4kg weights yesterday for the arm exercises and a 2.5 kg weight for the lat pulldown which I did over a fitness ball. I'll try one arm rows tomorrow.

My arms feel fine today and in fact I was wondering if you had any suggestions on other upper body exercises that were like total arm toning instead of just focussing on one muscle? But it's probably best to up the weights for the TBT first??

One of my main aims is to get back into swimming in a month's time and I know from that, I need stronger arms. My lats are particularly weak.

Last edited:
I was thinking about swapping one of the cross-training days for a Complex workout perhaps every second week or so. Thoughts?

Meh...you COULD do, but may be better to just keep things simple. If you change things, add and take out too many things then your 10k program wont be a 10k program anymore. It'll kind of lose its purpose and focus if you get me?

You're probably best of deciding from the start exactly what wokrouts go where, and set that in stone. Its a lot easier keep focused and stay on top of your progress that way.

Re the TBT, there's a few different kinds of squats and deadlifts. Which ones are you recommending and should weights be used? I'm pretty weak in the upper body so I used 4kg weights yesterday for the arm exercises and a 2.5 kg weight for the lat pulldown which I did over a fitness ball. I'll try one arm rows tomorrow.

A basic squat with a barbell on your shoulders and a deadlift with dumbbells at your sides will be fine. You don't actually need to worry about upper body strength too much concerning a deadlift because your hips and glutes do a lot of the work. You most likely will manage a lot more weight that you believe you can with a deadlift. A 7 - 12kg dumbbell in each hand is fine for most women new to the exercise.

My arms feel fine today and in fact I was wondering if you had any suggestions on other upper body exercises that were like total arm toning instead of just focussing on one muscle? But it's probably best to up the weights for the TBT first??

You're already doing the exercises your looking for! One arm rows, and lat pulldowns will do the job of strengthening your arms, as will shoulder presses (standing up whenever possible). These are all exercises I include in a TBT workout anyway.

One of my main aims is to get back into swimming in a month's time and I know from that, I need stronger arms. My lats are particularly weak.

your lats will be strengthened through any exercise where you pull the weight - i.e - one arm rows, lat pulldown, assisted chin ups, rowing machines, pullovers, and the best lat strengthening exercise ever - the deadlift.

So is it better to do should presses standing than on an exercise ball? If so, why.

My gym membership is on hold at the moment so only have dumb bells at home, but they are the type that I can add a variety of weights too.

Btw just realised I've mixed up the names of your threads. I was going to do your 'new cardio' workout on one of the cross training days. What do you think?

Last edited:
There are pros and cons of doing an exercise on an exercise ball, and it depends on the reasons you are performing the exercise.

Personally, if I'm training someone who is looking to burn fat then we will not do ANY exercise that involves sitting down. I have a rule that my clients abide by, that they must stay on thier feet for the duration of the session! People spend almost all hours of the day sitting down, so the one hour they spend in the gym with me is not going to incorporate that.

Another reason I don't particularly care for dumbbell exercises on a ball is because the weight you will be able to use will decrease as you are more off balance. This will decrease the amount of effort you must put into the exercise and therefore not work you as hard.

However, the pros....

The point of the exercises done on a ball is to use your core muscles to a greater extent. Therefore, a shoulder press on a ball is better served as a 'Core' exercise, NOT a 'fat burning' exercise.

Thats my definition and theory anyhow. If you're really in doubt, just do both =P

AS for my 'new cardio' workouts, as i said they're all quite draining, hence why I use the term Metabolic workouts - as they work to reaise your metabolism.

Im not sure how intense your usual cross training workout would be, but this workout would very likely be a lot harder. But give it a go and see what works for you.

Thanks for the info :)

Was just looking on ebay and realised my dumbell weights are from York so all I need is to buy a barbell and I'm sorted. Happy days!

PS. Can I ask why you decided to join the forum?

Last edited:
You sure can. I think I've addressed this question a couple of times but basically I just see a lot of information being thrown around out there from many trainers who aren't doing thier best, shall we say (see a few posts above), and media sources which aren't helping.

What I've been doing with clients has worked well regarding fat loss and Id like to share the information and my experience with all of you here. I do this job because I want to help people, so money isn't a concern for me.

To give you a fair and honourable answer, I'd first need to know WHY you want to target those muscles specifically?

If you are going to do using the complexes, you'll be using your quads for up to around 24 reps in EACH set. Therefore I can't see why you'd want to do anymore than that.

Oh. :) Okay maybe not then.

I've not done the complexes yet, only TBT and that felt good for my arms but was keen to push things a little more on the legs, but not excessively.

I know I can't spot reduce but was just thinking about my flabbier areas, just about the knee and my hips hence was keen to do a bit more toning.

Just amke sure that on the TBT lower body exericses you are really using a weight you can handle for the specified reps. If the intensity is right and your pushing yourself hard you'll be getting all the benefits.

But......

Because Im jsut so friendly here's a routine I did with a female client this week who wanted to 'Not be able to move her legs for 2 days!' as she put in her own words!

You'll need a Reebok Stepper or something similar and sturdy.

At the end of your session perform the following exercises without rest, for 30 seconds each

1. Jumping Step ups
2.Vertical Jumps (Just jump onto the box and step down)
3. Lateral Jumps (Jump side to side over the step)

Rest 1 minute.

Then repeat it again, with the added exericses:

1. Jumping Step ups
2. Mountain Climbers with hands on the step
3. Vertical Jumps
4. Press Ups with Feet on the step
5. Lateral Jumps
6. In and out Squat Jumps (Stand on top of the step. Jump down to the sides and land in a squat, then jump up again and bring your feet together on top of the step) Its a hard one to explain =S

Try that, its a killer. Once per week should be enough for an extra metabolism boost throughout your hips, legs and bum!

Thank you!! You are very friendly. I used to have a step workout (that I never did :rolleyes: ;)). I found it on a website and as IM deleted all my bookmarks recently, I don't have it anymore.

I thought you may comment on needing to up the weights. Point noted.

Back