Trying different fruit

Jack_D

Went into Morrisons today and picked up a pack of Physalis -

Popular as a dessert garnish, physalis are also known as the cape gooseberry or Chinese lantern. These small golden berries are enveloped in a thin, papery husk which is not eaten and are related to tomatoes, peppers and aubergine. They are a rich source of vitamin C and a source of vitamin A.

and thought ohh never tried those before will grab a bag to eat at work...they are bound to be SS - no they are HH - (not got my SW book with me ) can anyone tell me what HH stands for....

Cheers

I cant stand them! They always taste bitter to me!

I'm not keen either, and I find my cupboard STINKS of them for a good ten days after I've had a punnet!

The first time I saw physalis they were on a plate of petit fours in a really posh restaurant - they were dipped in some kind of icing. Very nice, but I remember thinking at the time that they would be better without the sweet stuff on them.

I had no idea what they were, and it was years later, when it was easier to find different fruit in the supermarkets, that I saw some and remembered that restaurant so long ago.

I do like them, but they do have to be nice and ripe, or they are a bit sharp.

Back