How many Superfoods did you eat today??

Lucky7

Lucky7
I just counted up eleven for me so far today. And they were all delicious (and the ones I had were syn free or Healthy Extras as well).

I think before SW I'd probably have had more like 3 or 4.

1. Avocados
are a clean, healthy source of healthy fatty acids. They are rich in cholesterol-lowering phytosterols and high in the powerful anti-oxidant glutathione. Avocados are healthy anti-cancer food. Use it in place of butter, mash it with bananas for young children, and use it in lots of avocado-based dressings and dips.

2. Blueberries/Blackberries are packed with tannins, anthocyanidins, flavonoids, polyphenols, and proanthcyanidins that have been linked to prevention and reversal of age-related mental decline. They also have powerful anti-cancer effects. Use frozen organic berries in the winter when fresh ones are not available. Alternatives include; Purple grapes, cranberries, rasberries, currants, raisens and cherries.

3. Cantaloupes are another vitamin powerhouse. With only 56 calories a cup, one gets a huge amount of vitamin C and beta-carotene as well as folate, potassium, fiber, thiamin, niacin, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6.

4. Carrots/Beets are colorful root crops that add beauty and flavor to dishes. Shredded raw in salads, cooked, or in soups, they are high in fiber and antioxidants compounds such as cartonoids abd betacyanin, a powerful cancer protective agent found to inhibit cell mutations.

5. Flax Seeds are rich in lignans and omega-3 fatty acids, and scientific studies have confirmed that flax seeds have a positive influence on everything from cholesterol levels and constipation to cancer and heart disease. Use ground flax seed in oatmeal, or add them to whipped frozen bananas, stewed apples, and cinnamon and nut balls. Keep in mind that the scientifically documented benefits from flax seeds come from raw, ground flax seed, not flax seed oil.

6. Green Lettuce is exceptionally low in calories, but contains an abundance of phytonutrients, plant proteins, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Eat salad with lettuce every day.

7. Kale is a fantastic high-nutrient green vegetable to add to soups and to serve chopped.

8. Sesame Seeds are one of the most mineral-rich foods in the world and a potent source of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, manganese, zinc, vitamins, and fiber. They are also rich in anti-cancer lignans that are uniquely found in sesame seeds alone. Grind some unhulled sesame seeds into a powder to sprinkle on salads and vegetables. Toast lightly and mix with eggplant, chickpeas, scallions, and garlic for a healthy and delicious dip.

9. Strawberries are high in folic acid, flavonoids, iron, and vitamin C. They provide a good source of dietary fiber and potassium yet contain only 60 calories per cup. Use strawberries and frozen strawberries frequently. Try a fruit smoothie by blending together a banana, orange juice, and frozen strawberries.

10. Tomatoes have been a hot topic in recent years because their consumption has been linked to dramatic reduction in the incidence of common cancers. One of the tomatoes' heavily investigated anti-cancer phytochemicals is lycopene, which has been shown to be protective against cancer, including prostate cancer, breast cancer, endometrial cancer, lung cancer, and colorectal cancers. Alternatives include; Red Watermelon, Pink Grapefruit, Japanese Persimmons, Red-fleshed Papaya, and Strawberry Guava.
Other Great Superfoods

• Beans - All types; including Pinto, Lima, Navy, Garbonzo, Green Beans, Snap Peas and
    other Green Peas
  • Broccoli - Alternates; Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Kale, Turnips, Cauliflower, Collards,
    Bok Choy, Mustard Greens, Swiss Chard
  • Oats - Alternates; Brown Rice, Barley, Wheat, Buckwheat, Rye, Millet, Bulgar Wheat,
    Amaranth, Auinoa, Yellow Corn, Couscous
  • Citrus - All types
  • Pumpkin - Alternates; Carrots, Butternut Squash, Sweet potatoes and Orange Bell Peppers
  • Salmon - Alternates; Albecore Tuna, Alaskan Halibut, Sardines, Herring, Trout, Sea Bass,
    Oysters and Clams
  • Soy - in all of it's forms; Tofu, Soymilk, Soy Nuts, Edamame, Tempeh, Miso
  • Spinach and other dark leafy greens - Kale, Collards, Swiss Chard, Mustard Greens,
    Turnip Greens, Bok Choy, Romaine lettuce, Orange Bell Peppers
  • Teas
  • Turkey and Chicken Breast (Skinless)
  • Nuts - Walnuts, Almonds, Pistachios, Sesame Seeds, Peanuts, Pumkin and Sunflower
    seeds, Macadamia Nuts, Pecans, Hazelnuts and Cashews
  • Yogurt and Kefir

• Garlic - This is a powerful organosulfate that's important in detoxification. It will help clean

your body of leftover chemical residue from drugs or pollutants, secondhand smoke, and
    metabolites from alcohol.
  • Mushrooms -Maitake and shiitake mushrooms are among the best sources of beta-glucan,
    which is known to stimulate the immune system. They also contain the protein lectin, which
    hinders cancer-cell growth.

Ooo - gone up one. Read on another list that half a cup of All-Bran would be a superfood too.

You do realise that some of these are very high in syns? Just because something is good for you doesn't necessarily mean that it is also good for slimming

Blueberries and blackberries (breakfast)
Carrots (in ss soup and carrot cake)
Lettuce (dinner)
Tomatoes (dinner)
Beans (in ss soup)
Pumpkin (in ss soup)
Oats (breakfast)
Citrus (snacks)
Garlic (dinner)

That is surprisingly a lot!

Was thinking just today that I need to eat more nuts for my skin.

I am going to eat an avocado one day. A whole one all to myself!!! :clap:

Yes. Namely Acocados and the seeds - but the vast majority of them are syn free or healthy extra items, and they are often things that I'm more likely to eat now that I'm following SW and trying new foods and recipes than I would have before, which I think is good.

Yikes avocado is 14 syns ! and sesame seeds are 8.5 syns per 28g, it might be 'healthy' but its not going to help the weight loss?

Lesley -as long as its within your syns/hex's it won't hurt your weight loss to eat seeds/avocdo/oils etc..

Im with you Lucky7 I Love my avocado and now have at least 1 a week(I have found it an easy way to use my syns) -approx 7.5syns per half and worth every one :D and great for my skin, and I love my oils too when I stir fry etc I only need 1/2tsp to do 2 of us -so only 0.5syn each

Well yesterday i had apple, banana, grapes, yellow plums(3) and pears(2) for breakfast

Then lunch was a cheese and tom samich(thank you hex'slol) so thats another one)

And dinner was veggie chilli, which had tomatoes, garlic, fresh chillies, papers, corgettes, beans(to early to remeber if they is superfee) and onion. Then made a salsa with fesh tomato and red onion. Had a litttle bit of rice with that

Also snacks were apples and the rest of my yellow plums :D

I agree with Capricorn here :) If it is within your syn allowance then avocado will help your weight loss. Not only that but it will do you a power of good too. It has the same syns as a regular mars bar yet it is the poor old avocado that get all the bad PR.

I am definitely going to have one this weekend. I am thinking avocado with roasted Mediterranean veg, pitta, maybe humous or feta...mmmmm. I am off the wine this month so can afford the syns :D

Thanks Lucky for this thought provoking thread. Been thinking about it a lot and am going to get my nuts today ;)

Must admit that I'm not keen enough on avocado to use my syns on it - but if I WERE, then I think it's much better than using them on something less healthy.

I tend to stick to the syn free superfoods. I'm just really pleased that I've finally learn how to really enjoy my veggies now, and much of that's down to SW and also the excellent ideas and recipes that I find here on Minimins.

Just noticed you listed Tempeh - I was wondering if it was free on SW since it is just fermented soy beans?? I mean it's like tofu just chewier :) I thought it might be free on green?

Back