Trying to do Slimming World in the USA, need LOTS of people on my side!

Sally_Cinnamon

doesn't have a witty name
So, it's my first post here and I'm already being a needy so-and-so :eek:

I'm English, moved to the States about 18 months ago and have managed to gain about 3 stone in that time :eek::mad:

The food honeymoon is now well and truly over--clothes are tight or don't fit at all which just makes me miserable. There's a tremendous number of "quirky" diets over here, and slimming clinics, slimming pills, you name it, it's here, but I want to lose weight the healthy way and don't think that a fast or quirky solution is the way to go (much as I would love it to be ;))

I started Weight Watchers back in January, lost about 10lbs but found it a real slog--I had to point my fruit and at 2 points for a banana I found myself having a 2 point ice cream bar instead. Well, wouldn't you? ;) I love my food and get hungry--I've gone back to university and often don't get to eat between 7am and 4pm so by the time I get home I'm ravenous and the half jacket potato or half cup of pasta that I'm "allowed" just doesn't cut it for me.

I've done Slimming World before, with great success, and loved the freedom of free food. But...and it's a big but (as is mine... :D) there are no classes over here in the USA. Actually, that's not strictly true. There are 5 classes in the whole of the USA and they're all in Texas and that's 1500 miles away from me. Somehow, a 20 hour drive to get to class isn't quite going to work out. That's okay though, I'm certain that with plenty of support I can do this without going to class.

There are some hurdles though.

Firstly, I left my SW books back in England along with lots of other stuff I didn't immediately need. I've put in an emergency request to my mum (who is storing my stuff) and she'll be sending them to me in the next week or so. Until then, I'm working from memory because I didn't want to wait however long it takes to get the books to get starter. I have the motivation now and need to get going now.

Secondly, the food directory will be no use to me whatsoever because all the food is branded differently here, so I'm going to have to rely, as much as possible, on making things from scratch and avoiding anything branded. I don't quite know how I'm going to manage treats and syns, probably on a bit of a wing and a prayer :D

I spotted that I can join online, and would really like to do that at some point but right now, as a lowly student, shelling out $80 for 3 months online membership is an expense I simply can't afford. When I can afford it, though, I will--it will be more than useful to have access to a syn calculator.

But for now, it's just me, my memory and (hopefully) some support from you all :) I'm looking forward to getting to know more people seeking to get back into their wardrobes :D:D

Okay, off to start myself a food diary thingummyjig now...

good luck with it hon the guys on here are fab there is a syn values section where if you post the nutritional vals one of us can look up on sw online and get you the syns

Hi Ronnie *waves happily* thanks for your reply!

I'm going to try, as far as possible, to avoid branded foods--I REALLY don't want to become "that-pain-in-the-backside-woman-who-always-needs-a-syn-value-looking-up" :D but I might need someone to work something out for me on occasion.

Just wish SW would start a few more classes in the USA *sigh*

Hiya!! Welcome to the slimming world board!!! I replied your diary thread but just wanted to say welcome! You'll get a LOT of help here and if you need anything at all give us a shout. Good luck!!

I spotted your reply on my food diary, honey--thanks so much for taking the time to leave such encouraging comments and helpful advice.

I'm feeling really positive today, moreso than I have done in a long time.

I've been reading lots of threads and am remembering that it really is important to eat between 10-15 syns a day, rather than (as my dysfunctional brain tells me) deprive myself in order to (supposedly) lose more weight. So, I'm reckoning that a bit of a low-fat chocolate ice cream bar could be in order later tonight... :D

For treaty foods like icecream, choc, crisps that don't have a free food allowance you can use 20 cals = 1 syn

Back