Tummy tuck on NHS?

hypno1

Hi,

I was looking for some advice/opinions on having a tummy tuck. I have had 2 c-sections in under 2 yrs and my stomach is in a mess, I have a massive overhang (no exaggeration) and my tummy muscles never knitted back together despite doing post op excersises. Naturally this is very depressing but I think because I have been so fat and feeling rubbish about myself anyway I never let it overtake my thoughts iykwim? I wasn't really overweight before having babies, maybe a little through stopping smoking but certainly my weight gain came through having my boys so close together and not giving myself to get the weight off from the first pregnancy.

Anyway, Now I am beginning to lose the weight I find myself concentrating so much more on the state of my stomach and worrying that no matter how much weight I lose I will always have this horrid belly and might not fit in to the clothes I want to because of it, It is very noticeable through clothes (esp fitted ones). I never thought I would consider a tummy tuck, mostly through fear of a major op and fear of something going wrong.

Has anyone had a tummy tuck and what were your experiences of it? Was it worth all the pain and worry? I know down south you can get a tummy tuck on the NHS depending on whether your pct approves it but I live in Scotland, does anyone know if they are available on the NHS in Scotland. I definately don't have the mooney to go private and I wouldn't take a loan out to get it done not when things are as they are with jobs and redundancies at the moment but I honestly now think I will lose the weight and still be miserable because of the weight.

I certainly don't seek to have the body I had pre-children, although I would love it I know it will never be possible as my body has changed so much but I would like to get rid of this stomach that makes me feel so self conscious and yuck about myself.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Icemoose is the guy you need to talk to about tummy tucks on the NHS.
As for getting it done where you live it's down to the NHS area you live in I'm afraid. It's no different down here I'm afraid. I live in portsmouth and there is no way they would even consider it but when I lived in guildford a couple of years ago (about 50 miles difference) a friend of mine had it done on the NHS (I had a chest reduction done on the NHS there as well!:D).
Best thing I can recommend is go and see your GP and ask if they can refer you to see a consultant. If you don't ask, you don't get. Good Luck!;)

Hey Gill - I totally know where you are coming from and I have had a tummy tuck after having 2 sections in 19months of each other and putting alot of weight on also.
I had a massive overhang and even when I got to goal I was so out of proportion as I had the 'apron tummy' and being an apple shape didnt help either cos my legs and bum would fit in a size 10 but my belly wouldnt but if I put a 12 on they looked like clowns pantaloons as they were far too baggy on my bum and legs and kept falling down at the back!

I live in Wales and my GP wouldnt let me have mine on the NHS (sorry I dont know about Scotland) but I have a VERY VERY VERY kind mum who paid for mine as I have always hated my tummy with one thing and another.

There is a plastic surgery forum on this website which you will find very informative and useful and someone on there may be able to help you more.

Pain wise it was no different to the Csections and recovery time was about the same. It was the best thing I ever did and would recommend one all the way if anyone has an apron tummy.

I had it 2 1/2 years ago and tomorrow night I am putting some and after pictures up so here is the before one......

HTH and good luck let us know how you get on xxx

Icemoose is the guy you need to talk to about tummy tucks on the NHS.
As for getting it done where you live it's down to the NHS area you live in I'm afraid. It's no different down here I'm afraid. I live in portsmouth and there is no way they would even consider it but when I lived in guildford a couple of years ago (about 50 miles difference) a friend of mine had it done on the NHS (I had a chest reduction done on the NHS there as well!:D).
Best thing I can recommend is go and see your GP and ask if they can refer you to see a consultant. If you don't ask, you don't get. Good Luck!;)

Thanks for that, will see if I can track down icemoose then. I have to make an app with my gp anyway as I was supposed to go and see him weeks ago to have my bloods done and for him to monitor me on the cd so I will gage his reaction to a tummy tuck then.

Hey Gill - I totally know where you are coming from and I have had a tummy tuck after having 2 sections in 19months of each other and putting alot of weight on also.
I had a massive overhang and even when I got to goal I was so out of proportion as I had the 'apron tummy' and being an apple shape didnt help either cos my legs and bum would fit in a size 10 but my belly wouldnt but if I put a 12 on they looked like clowns pantaloons as they were far too baggy on my bum and legs and kept falling down at the back!

I live in Wales and my GP wouldnt let me have mine on the NHS (sorry I dont know about Scotland) but I have a VERY VERY VERY kind mum who paid for mine as I have always hated my tummy with one thing and another.

There is a plastic surgery forum on this website which you will find very informative and useful and someone on there may be able to help you more.

Pain wise it was no different to the Csections and recovery time was about the same. It was the best thing I ever did and would recommend one all the way if anyone has an apron tummy.

I had it 2 1/2 years ago and tomorrow night I am putting some and after pictures up so here is the before one......

HTH and good luck let us know how you get on xxx

That's what my clothes are like too, my sizs differ becaus eof the overhang. At the moment my measurements are showing i'm a 16 on the hips but an 18/20 on the tummy! It's a nightmare!

So glad your tummy tuck well. I have pushed it to the back of mind as I always seem to hear of the horror stories and it puts me off. I know there are risks to every operation but my c-sections were different, I felt I had no choice as the first was an emergency and the second I was too scared to try for vbac. With a tummy tuck I have a choice iykwim?

I'm not a great advocate of plastic surgery on the nhs but I do feel that if i'd had my children naturaly I would have had a chance to get my shape back together, the c-sections have totally ruined my body. I'm certainly not saying that's the consultants fault who carried out the operations as their priority was to get my babies out safely but now I need to get this mess fixed or i'm still going to hate my body at goal.

I've never heard of anyone in my area having hd a tummy tuck on the nhs, I hve head of a couple of people having a breast reduction but that's different altogether and can have physical implications where the tummy tuck has more of a mental implication iykwim?

My doctor is pretty good so i'm sure he will give me a straight answer about whether I have a chance of getting it r not. If not I don't know what i'll do tbh. I really want to get it sorted out but there's no way we could afford it and hubby's job isn't the safest. He has already been redundant in the last year and back at his old job which is on tenterhooks now too so taking out any dbt would be a big no no.

I can't wait to see your next pictures! Can you post them on this thread too incase I miss them please?!

Hiya, Gillian.

I went to my GP for a tummy tuck a couple of years back. He referred me to a surgeon, who recommended me, but my local PCT unfortunately turned me down for funding. It really is a postcode lottery, i'm afraid, so you'll just have to jump through the hoops and see what happens.

My skin was very loose and crinkly, and hung over like an apron. There was no fat at all left in it, so it was relatively easy to disguise in clothes... as long as I chose my clothes well. It really got me down though, after going through the process of losing so much weight, so I eventually decided to have the surgery done privately - I had it done on August 1st last year. I'll admit that it was more 'emotionally traumatic' than I ever imagined, as it really is major surgery. However, since recovering, I haven't looked back, and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever - it's one of the best decisions I have ever made, and has boosted my confidence dramatically.

How much weight do you have left to lose? My experience of the NHS criteria is that you should be at least close to a healthy BMI before they'll even recommend you. You may also have to wait until you've kept the weight off for some time, to 'prove' that you're unlikely to gain it all back again. No harm in seeing your doctor and getting his opinion though. :)

Good luck!

i too had 2 c sec not to close together but my 1st child was 11lb 2oz and my 2nd was 12lb 8 and a half oz and i have just lost 9 st 10lbs on ll my doc reffered me for a tt on nhs scotland and got a leter back from plast surg advising me that i would have to be seen by clincal physcoligist before i would even be considered to be seen by him and there is a very long waiting list to be seen by physcoligist one word of advice my doc refferred my about my loose skin but i would try and get reffered for your split muscles because skin is cosmetic and you might get muscle under medical ....wish i had done it that way anyway cant do anything else but wait as i dont have the cash to go private

Just to say Hi - but am on my mates pc as mine is not online at mo - have done pics and will post them on here for you next week when back up and running. good luck with your GP xxx

Hey Gillian!!

Im with you on the tummy tuck thing. I've had 2 C-sections 2 years apart also, my stomach really is a mess and the apron belly is getting crinklier by the day. :(:(

I seriously doubt mine will even firm up. I also have dead nerves from under my belly button after the ops so wonder if the muscle is incapable of ever going back into shape. I would LOVE to have a TT, but like you, unsure if its possible in Scotland... my only saving grace may be that my GP is lovely and knows how much i have struggled with my weight and has seen the difference in my losing 4 stones. After losing another 4 and maintaining, i will maybe ask her about the possibility.

Good luck. Hope you get a positive response from you doc.

take care

Anni
xxxxx

I too would consider a tummy tuck...
I had one straight forward elective section, and emergency surgery with a ruptured uterus, the second causing no end of muscle and nerve damage... I too have no sensation below belly button and tops of thighs..
I am using the slender tone belt every day for 40 mins and a high level and I think that although my muscles are covered in fat still so I can't see them being toned, my waist is shrinking quite fast so i think this might be helping to tighten things around there,...
I am also smothering my stomach and upper thigh area in bio oil at night and body cream in the day hoping to encourage elasticity...

Being in Wales I have heard that an NHS tuck prob won't be happening... has anyone gone abroad for such radical surgery? I have heard it is so much cheaper.?

x

I am also considering a tummy tuck in the future (finances permitting). I have had two caesareans-one an emergency and one elective and my stomach has never been the same since. However, I don't think it will be considered bad enough to get it done on the NHS. I was looking into the company that I saw mentioned in one of the CD magazines actually-they sound really good. They are in Tunisia.
Cosmetic surgery in Tunisia - cosmetica Travel : Cosmetic plastic surgery
There are lots of reviews on the site as well-they sound brilliant and I will certainly be considering them as an option.

Well i've been to the doc today and whilst there I mentioned that my stomach is bothering me. He said that through losing weight it will go down quite a bit but if it's still bothering me we can talk about an apronectomy after i've lost the rest of the weight. He said though that in order to get an apronectomy you have to have waited 2yrs since the last c-section and have kept the weight off for over 6mths, also to know that I wasn't really wnating any more children as they wouldn't carry out an apronectomy knowing that I planned on having ny more children incase I needed another c-section.

I would have to wait until next July by which time I will have had the 2yrs gone by and the 6mths maintained. He had a good look at it and said that he thinks my stomach will go down quite alot but it's all down to me and how I feel about it so it is a possibility as far as he is concerned.

Can't ask more than that at this stage really.

Gill thats brilliant news! fingers crosse dfor you - at least he didnt rule it out altogether which is really good.

keep us updated.
xxx

Thanks Jess. Just saw your tt picks! It looks great and your scar has really faded, not angry looking at all like I thought it might be. I def want to go ahead with the apronectomy if my stomach doesn't go down (i'm sure it wont though as my muscles are done in!).

I'm struggling a little with the diet just now. Not cheated or anything like that but findinig it tougher and tougher. Dh is fed up of us not being able to go out for dinner and that too although he is really supportive of why and wants me to loe the weight too. I was thinking of going on xenical instead so I could follow a low fat diet but every ime I think i've made up my mind, I change it again lol! I want to lose the weight as quickly as possible and CD does seem to be the way to do that but i really do hate the diet. I know loads of people love it and enjoy it but I have NEVER enjoyed it, I have enjoyed the weight losses for sure but not the diet itself. It's just so restrictive I struggle with it.

Gillian, I feel the same as you, I have never enjoyed the diet and struggle with it all the time, although weeks 3-6 weren't too bad, but I so desperately want to lose the weight quickly, and have toyed several times with going back on low carb, but my inlaws are coming over from Australia in June and she is slim and I dont want to be fat when they are here, so desperately struggling still, although my CDC has said today that she wants me to do a week of SS+ or 810, so I opted for SS+, hopefully the weight will still come off and if it appears it isn't when I weigh myself in a few days I will go back to SS for the last few days.
I also would desperately love a tummy tuck, I have had 10 children and 3 caesereans (1st emergency) so my tummy muscles are shot too.. but I have found that the more weight I lose the more my tummy goes down, but it is always going to have an apron there, but it does get smaller. That is the problem I have with clothes too, too big around the bum, too tight around the tummy, I have to try and tuck it in.... good luck with your weightloss... you have done really well so far.

Hiya,

I have just had a tummy tuck on NHS but I live in Norfolk. It took a total of 7 months from my initial GP consultation to having the op ... never a word about PCT, just saw consultant.

Apparently most PCTs only do tucks on the NHS for weight loss of over 6 stone but as you have had serious overhang, it may be different - I can't comment on that as I never had a c-section.

Unfortunately it IS a postcode lottery but you can search on the net to see what your area does offer. Also they do not do liposuction as part of a tummy tuck on NHS for 'obvious reasons' as the surgeon told me, (cost) but thats when he was marking me up! But I don't mind; I didn't have to pay.

Good luck with it all, but do look up the requirements of your PCT on the internet.

It's good that your GP didn't just dismiss you though so keep trying !!

x

Last edited:
I'll be investigating the options for an NHS tummy tuck when I have shifted my weight.
My daughter (she's 18 next week, I've been struggling with this for a looong time) was born by emergency section and weighed in at 10lbs. I'm 5' 5" with a small frame, while I was pregnant I was huge!
I was left with a disgusting apron of hanging skin, which in itself encouraged my weight gain. Since my tummy never went away, merely inflated or deflated, I had no 'reward' from losing weight. Where was the point in denying myself when I couldn't wear nice clothes anyway?
I got into the habit of hiding in baggy clothes and just getting fatter.
My marriage ended when my daughter was 7 after my husband had been playing away for some considerable time. That did my confidence no end of good. Apart from a few flings, I've been single ever since. I simply don't want to take my clothes off in front of someone in case they take one look at my stretched and scarred belly and go "Eurgh!"
I sound such a happy bunny, don't I?!?

I want to lose my weight.
When I lose it, I will actively pursue the options of a tummy tuck, I want to feel normal and I want to feel sexy, before it's too late!!

Hula Moo. x

Hi all

You might find this website useful; How do I get cosmetic surgery through the NHS?

If you find your GP is unsympathetic ask for a 2nd opinion; some GPs unfortunately let their own beliefs influence their patient care and you need to stomp your feet a bit. They are the gatekeeper to other services not the controller.

Good luck!

I too am in the process of losing weight with intent of having a tummy tuck. I've had one emergency section and want to have a tuck after I have my second child (which I am hoping will be via VBAC and not another section)

I have a horrible apron overhang now and the thought of losing all this weight and having the overhang is getting me down. I know I will def get the "ooo yes that needs sorting" from the doctor, but don't know if I'll get it on the NHS. But I will be saving to get it done privately if not.

Back