Two melons balancing on an egg, wedged between two chicken drumsticks..

Clean and green is just a term for low carb without the 'frankenfoods' and little extras that can creep in - a back to basics approach

Oooh, cool! Yeah that is what I'm trying to do...I don't know if Coke and Pepsi count in that too though lol. I have said to myself that if I lose no weight this week, then those two will have to go as well.

I'm treating myself at the weekend to your wonderful sounding almond banana cinnamon cupcakes. I can't wait :)

B xx

GO Batty go - you can so do this, and without the scales - proud of you, girl! :D

Menus sound great too :)

Thanks LadyFel, I appreciate that! :)

B xx

image-3408372237.jpg

Well a very healthy breakfast this morning of soft cheese lagged almond cupcakes, made with cocoa powder, Da Vinci orange syrup and sprinkled with Splenda...having trouble tasting the orange and cocoa part, so I think next time I'll make with orange zest and 2 tsp cocoa powder..

B xx

Thursday

B Two soft boiled eggs
L Basic MIM ( with cinnamon)
D Meatballs, with a tomato sauce on top of creamy courgette strips*...(low fat dieters turn away now!)
S 2 babybels, half a piece of butter fudge and soya milk for tea.

MFP: 1269kcsl, 20g carbs. F 67%, 27% & P 6%.

*This was absolutely delicious, and I was dead pleased to have made a decent bolognaise sauce without the tinned tomatoes (many thanks for your tips on this ML)

But NB, do not use Tesco Finest Italian Style Meatballs as I did, they have 6g of carbs per 1/3 of the pack. Make your own by mixing lean beef mince with basil, oregano, coriander and the yolk of 1 egg..

The sauce was made up of:
100g leeks
180g mushrooms
1 garlic clove
2 tsp Worcester sauce
2.5 tbsps of tomato purée
1 tbsp 1 carb ketchup
1 quart beef stock cube
2 good sized handfuls of fresh basil

I oven cooked the meatballs for 20 minutes and while I was waiting, pan fried the leeks, mushrooms and garlic together, before adding a half a pint of boiling water - followed by the Worcester sauce, ketchup, stock cube and tomato purée.

I brought this the boil and allowed to simmer while cutting up the basil with kitchen scissors, then added this to the mixture and left it bubbling until the meatballs were ready. Then I added these to the pan and allowed everything to simmer down until the sauce was thick and rich.

While waiting, I quickly made the courgette strips - which was approx 364g courgette (2 of them), potato peeled and pan-fried. Once cooked I then stirred in 2 tbsps soft cheese and some black pepper and cooked a little more.

The meatball sauce I split into 3 portions and the courgette strips into 2 (OH had spaghetti)..total carbs for my meal was 15.3 (eep!) - but if you made your own meatballs, it would be 9.3.

Friday
B Choc protein shake, made with soya milk
L Meatball and courgette meal from above
D Birds Eye Baked to Perfection, Haddock Fillets with White & Parsley sauce (tiny piece of fish and sauce was not very nice) with green beans, broccoli and sprouts.
S 4 banana & cinnamon almond cupcakes (slavered with soft cheese) 2 pepperami's, 2 babybels, 3 baby plum tomatoes and later, some cheese with raw red onion. Soya milk in tea.

So quite a piggie day...I blame starting work earlier and having a Zumba class that evening lol. The raw onion was the naughtiest thing. 25g was 7.9g carbs, but I had a real hankering for it. I suppose it is really good for you at least!

MFP: 1945kcal, 45g carbs. F 72%, P 23% & C 5%.

The flavours came through much better with the banana Da Vinci syrup and cinnamon than with the cocoa and orange. I think cream cheese compliments cinnamon perfectly! If you weren't as lazy as me, you could jazz up the cream cheese more, but I enjoyed it just as it was. I really must stopping eating 4 at once as a meal though!

Phew! What a lengthily post!

Have a great weekend everyone :)

Batty xx

LOL morning! :)

The courgette pasta sounds lovely, and easy too :)

Awful how many carbs there can be in things like meatballs, I check every label these days! Waitrose do zero carb meatballs but it is just easier to make your own.

Have a lovely day.

LOL morning! :)

The courgette pasta sounds lovely, and easy too :)

Awful how many carbs there can be in things like meatballs, I check every label these days! Waitrose do zero carb meatballs but it is just easier to make your own.

Have a lovely day.

Amen sister! You'd think that meat would be safe, but I can see that anything that has had any degree of processing is not to be trusted an inch xx

Thanks for the recipe. Your posts are always so informative.

Aww thank you Lou, I feel quite flattered by that.. :) Normally this thread gets neglected for a few days and then I do a big wafflely splurge lol. It's nice to know someone has found it useful xx

So weigh in day today, and I've lost 2.2lbs since last Sunday :D I'm now 13st, 0.6lbs and so close to getting into the 12's! And it also means that I have a head start on next week.

I know I might have mentioned something about not eating cupcakes for a meal, but well..today's breakfast snuffed that a bit. I think I'm just so pleased at the moment to have rediscovered ML's almond cupcakes, I just want to abuse them for a bit lol.

And corrupted indeed they were today. I added 3 tsps of cocoa powder, 2 tbsps of oil, extra sweetener, 4 tsps Da Vinci orange syrup, 1 tsp orange zest, and 20g of coconut flour (as I only had 30g of ground almonds). I then spread them with about a tbsp of soft cheese. So ML's lovely recipe, with a nice 1g of carb per cupcake and 118kcal..has turned into 3.9 carbs a cupcake, and 228kcal. And I scoffed 3 of them lol!

They were yummy though, the cake had a lovely springey bounce and was more moist than the previous two batches I've made over the last few days. The chocolate orange flavours came through very well. I was even debating whether to add the soft cheese or not, but I personally prefer some kind of icing..

This was how they looked fresh from the microwave, and before the cheese:

image-824427116.jpg

Weather is looking bright and windy today, although rain has been forecast. I was quite pleased as I was able to get out into the garden yesterday and do some serious hoeing..and then I wrote a to-do list of all the jobs I've got to do out there. So it'll be good to get some more fresh air today. The garden has been so neglected with all this bad weather, the slugs and certain plants have been allowed to go mad.

Hopefully we should have our allotment all up and running by the end of February. I can't wait to be harvesting our own fresh grown produce..I keep looking at the little plan I've designed on growveg.com and getting really excited. But I have to remember there's a lot of work and time involved before we get to that point yet.

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday, whatever you are doing :)

B xx

Woohoo wtg on the loss, Batty! Great news :D

Also v exciting on the allotment - will you have to do much digging up before it's ready to plant?

Woohoo wtg on the loss, Batty! Great news :D

Also v exciting on the allotment - will you have to do much digging up before it's ready to plant?

Thanks LadyFel :) Yes, more digging than we've ever done in our lives lol..but first there's the fence and raised beds to build..it's a nice little project for us though and will look cracking when it's finished xx

it's my plan to get our veg patch earning it's keep this year - ironically we've always had a glut of courgettes and I stopped growing them because we never actually ate them - now its top of my list to grow! lol! We'll have to compare notes.

Hey Diem! Oh cool, I was hoping there'd be another home-grower on the site :) it's sort of become a bit of a passion for me, which started with umpteen fruit trees and fruit bushes in the back garden, then progressed to tomatoes and cucumbers in grow bags..and now I want a bigger plot so that we can grow a variety of veg for all year round.

I'd be really interested to know what you grow at home, and what you've had successes with..I'd like to grow cauliflowers for cauli rice, but I've heard they're quite difficult to grow xx

Oooh once the flat is all sorted, I want to grow tomatoes and courgettes from growbags, and maybe get a raised bed for summer greens :)

Oooh once the flat is all sorted, I want to grow tomatoes and courgettes from growbags, and maybe get a raised bed for summer greens :)

Go for it LadyFel! I absolutely love it. Its surprising what you can grow in a small space :) I had tons of cherry tomatoes last year from 2 grafted plants I bought at the garden centre, we couldn't eat enough of them xx

courgettes grow like weeds in my garden, i've done ok with broc, spinach, agreed that cauli is tricky - but going to give it another go. Planning to try celeriac for the first time this year since it's become a bit of a staple. I only plan to grown veg we eat in qty at home. Tomatoes do pretty well - and i'd like to grow more berries this year. Having real problems growing raspberries - which is a shame - but strawberries are a bit of a weed which is good :)

That's funny, normally raspberries are the weeds..I've got them sprouting up all over my flower beds and in my lawn lol. I agree tomatoes are definitely good value, we had quite a few cucumbers as well last year - but I want to grow these in the allotment and use that spot on our patio for growing salad leaves (in a tiered lean to) this summer..exciting stuff!

Unfortunately, after coming to terms with the cost of the wood involved, weed control fabric, shed, cold frame and manure..I've realised that I'm actually going to have to fill the raised beds I've planned, and the dirt is going to cost a fortune :-/

I read that this should be 60% top soil, 30% compost and 10% vermiculite. Anyone know where I can get this stuff shipped to me cheaply/for free in bulk?

B xx

Last edited:
Monday

B 2 eggs and a creamy coffee
L 2 sausages
D Low carb tuna casserole (basically cauli rice fried with mushrooms, leeks, 60ml of cream and a tin of tuna)
S Almonds 50g, tomatoes 26g, KP salted peanuts 25g, 4 babybels and soya milk for tea.

MFP: 1622kcal, 14g carbs. F 75%, P 22% & C 3%

Tuesday
B 2 eggs
L Tuna casserole
D 125g tin of smoked mackerel in sunflower oil, with 50g cucumber & 26g baby plum tomatoes.
Little bottle of Rioja.
S Almonds 50g, 2 babybels, pepperami, 25g salted peanuts and soya milk for tea. 30ml semi-skimmed milk.

MFP: 1682kcal, 16g carbs. F 72%, P 24% & 4% C.

Weds
B 2 eggs
L Chicken tikka salad, with baby leaves, fresh grated beetroot, tomato, sesame seeds and a tbsp honey & mustard dressing (had no mayo :( )
D Burgers, homemade with finely chopped pepper, leek and mushroom, 250g swede chips, 1 tbsp mayonnaise, 1 tbsp Jok & Al low carb ketchup (how could I have missed that this was 3 times the carbs of Heinz One Carb? *sigh*)
S Almonds 50g, 2 babybels, pepperami, 25g salted peanuts and soya milk in tea. Also semi-skimmed milk tea, made by colleagues (really must stop saying yes to them making this for me, as this was 5.8g carbs in the end)

MFP: 1374kcal, 36g carbs. F 59%, P 30% & 10% C.

Once again I didn't check the carbs per gram for the swede before I gobbled it. I knew the portion of chips looked too generous, I think I just wanted to be greedy! Ah well, I had a few carbs left over from Mon/Tues, so not a complete disaster.

I have a cholesterol check tomorrow morning, so no more food for me tonight (no problem, as I am stuffed!) I haven't had an issue with it yet, but high cholesterol runs in our family so I like to keep an eye on it. I know eating fat helps us to loose weight on this diet, but I still can't help being a little nervous about all the high fat food I've been eating..it'll be interesting to see how the results come back. I'm not looking forward to the needle though, I have a habit of passing out when they take blood!

:-S

B xx

If you google search a documentary called fat head it has some fascinating info about cholesterol, including that women are never ever helped by cholesterol meds.

Mine has always been low but make sure you get the full breakdown of hdl, ldl, triglycerides not just a total count - I know people who have been told their cholesterol was high and freaked out when in fact it was their good cholesterol that was high while the bad was low.

If you google search a documentary called fat head it has some fascinating info about cholesterol, including that women are never ever helped by cholesterol meds.

Mine has always been low but make sure you get the full breakdown of hdl, ldl, triglycerides not just a total count - I know people who have been told their cholesterol was high and freaked out when in fact it was their good cholesterol that was high while the bad was low.

I think I'll get OH to download this..sounds intriguing!

It's very misleading to not explain to people the difference between good and bad cholesterol, and how they balance out when they get their results..last time I got a total count, but I will ask for more information this time.

I don't know what I'll do if I get an unacceptably high result...this is the only way I want to diet....

B xx

Back